Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Private Lives

Do you have a favourite episode?

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

poxeymoxey
Plumber
Plumber

Re: Private Lives

Post by poxeymoxey » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:02 pm

Love the bit when they are back in the hut and Barry, referring to his ankle says "it's all puffed up". Dennis couldn't give a toss! Butch and Sundance indeed!

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:20 pm

I like how Dennis shoves past Barry too knocking him and causing him to moan in pain, a little payback for the shite he had to put up with because of them.. :)
OP

AhhBrenda
Plumber
Plumber

Post by AhhBrenda » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:34 pm

The second quote in my sig says it all.

Love Auf pet, always will but I have kind of hit a saturation point viewing them over and over again. Cannot help think of them over a bank holiday weekend, seems weirdly appropriate... Think of Wayne saying something like.... "I am off to join the rest of the human race" one Friday night before going off and getting lashed and knobing one of his fluzies.

I occasionally joke to the Mrs .. "Auf pet tonight ?"

We rarely watch them now though.

Thing is there is a slightly depressed tinge about the series being set in Thatchers Britain and they all have their own issues and of course a few RIP members of the cast. It also seem like living in yesterday a bit, nostalgia is fine but there is something a little melancholic about wanting to be somewhere else in another time. It also make you feel how quick time passes as you hit middle age.

This is reflected by the youthful looks of the gang in Series 1 and 2 and then on the later new series.

Do not want to appear negative but I am sure I am amongst good company when it comes to expressing my "inner Auf Wiedersehen."

Breaking Away
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Breaking Away » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:03 pm

Each to there own AhhBrenda, that's what makes life interesting.
I love the show and can never get enough! :D

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:12 am

Saturation point ? Ah dunno what he's tarkin aboot me. Wasnt there a movie from about 1970, Subritsky Point ? or somit like that ...

AhhBrenda
Plumber
Plumber

Post by AhhBrenda » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:23 pm

Breaking Away wrote:Each to there own AhhBrenda, that's what makes life interesting.
I love the show and can never get enough! :D
Out of interest how many time a week do you watch an episode?

Breaking Away
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Breaking Away » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:57 am

I used to watch the first 2 series every 6 - 12 months. Since christmas and finding this site it's really rekindled the fire. Depending on what shift I'm on at work and whether I'm home alone or not it varies. Sometimes just 1 or 2 episodes a week, sometimes 4 episodes in one day if I'm feeling lazy and the family are at work/school. I think I've watched the newer series once in the new year and the first 2 series at last twice.

Adolf
Brickie
Brickie

Post by Adolf » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:37 pm

I have a question about Private Lives that has bugged me for years.

When Wayne and Barry go into the couple's hotel room and Wayne starts to become irate he says

"I come up here for an innocent liaison, and there's some geezer flashing the readies, I mean what is he, a blimmer or summink?"

What on earth is a blimmer? Cockney rhyming slang?

(If anyone could shed any light on the derivation of Oz saying "a slow Toby", I'd be grateful too!)

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:00 pm

The blimmer part is somewhere on the Forum, as for 'a slow tourby, he means a slow tour by the whatever.... I used to work in the same building as a guy from Leeds and he used to say it all the time....

Adolf
Brickie
Brickie

Post by Adolf » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:10 pm

Right cheers, I've searched for blimmer on the forum, but no meaningful matches.

And the slow tour by explanation makes sense, though Oz pronounces it as Toby. I'm from the NE and have never heard anyone use it, except me and my mates following AWP.

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:33 pm

'Toby' ! Brilliant lads, another piece to my jigsaw !!! Treble schnaps all round?

HerrPfister
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by HerrPfister » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:49 am

Adolf wrote: What on earth is a blimmer? Cockney rhyming slang?
I thought he said 'dimmer', and it wasrhyming slang :

Dimmer Switch - Barry's Bitch

Could be wrong, mind...

Gary M
Plasterer
Plasterer

Post by Gary M » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:19 pm

Adolf wrote:What on earth is a blimmer? Cockney rhyming slang?
I believe the correct word is "blimper" and GH just says it wrong. Think I heard it used in a Minder episode.

paulsalter
Brickie
Brickie

Post by paulsalter » Wed May 15, 2013 1:13 pm

Rodders wrote:The thing that is so not answered is how would they have known Wayne's name. When the bell boy comes round with the board with his name on it. Could have done something like seeing a brief glimpse of a blond and following her to the room. Much more realistic.

This must have been obvious when filming and I think the producers must have though what the f@ck lets just do it. Pity.
The bell boy knows his name because Oz phoned the hotel and asked for a message to be given to Herr Wayne Norris saying go to room 612

Agree with others on this episode, watched it again last night, Barry & Wayne are a great double act

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Wed May 15, 2013 5:17 pm

paulsalter wrote:
Rodders wrote:The thing that is so not answered is how would they have known Wayne's name. When the bell boy comes round with the board with his name on it. Could have done something like seeing a brief glimpse of a blond and following her to the room. Much more realistic.

This must have been obvious when filming and I think the producers must have though what the f@ck lets just do it. Pity.
The bell boy knows his name because Oz phoned the hotel and asked for a message to be given to Herr Wayne Norris saying go to room 612

Agree with others on this episode, watched it again last night, Barry & Wayne are a great double act

I think he means, 'How did the blonds know there name' and why didn't Wayne and Barry think, hold on, how do the Blonds know Waynes name....