Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Anyone with other 80s/90s tv obsessions?

Come and have a 'quiet' chat with the lads about anything from 'The scandal of unregistered old peoples homes' to 'simone signoret' films..... :P
Warning: This section contains adult language!

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

Magowan
Plumber
Plumber

Re: Anyone with other 80s/90s tv obsessions?

Post by Magowan » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:19 pm

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet wrote:I'm looking at getting Stay Lucky.
It was filmed in Sowerby Bridge, a town I used to live in from being 11-12, so it's nice to wTch and spot the locations. Apparently one of the stars, no big guess really was quite hard work. A lad I used to work with, his mother lived in a house and they were filming next door. When she went to ask if she could have a picture, there answer was...."If you f**king must...."

Still doesn't put me off, I remember it being a great show, and will be purchased soon.
I take it the producers were still unsure about letting Waterman sing the theme tune for him to be like that then? :roll:

The show is nothing special, especially when you compare it to Waterman's earlier shows, but it's not bad. Not much of a lover of the third series though.
GET BAAAAAAAACK!

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:34 pm

Something i havent seen since it aired i think... didnt it have Sam Kelly in it.. who played Bunny in Porridge too? Poor chap died only recently..
OP

Lou
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Lou » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:25 pm

That Adrian mole got me thinking earlier, I think I was about 13 when it came out( the book , that is) everyone at school was going mad for it ( how sad were we in those days!)
Anyway, I remember the deputy head, miss Clark her name was, a right strict old bag decided to read it out to us kids in assembly each day, probably trying to " get down with the kids" like they used to in our day. Anyway I'll never forget the morning she read out the bit where Adrian mole had his first ( and this is vile) wet dream (sorry)
Needless to say, the whole room erupted and we all pissed ourselves laughing! :lol:
Oh the joy of getting one over on the teachers was so great!

Lou
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Lou » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:36 pm

Also just remembered, did anyone like watching Bread?

Musta bin Elbowed
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Musta bin Elbowed » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:40 pm

Lou wrote:That Adrian mole got me thinking earlier, I think I was about 13 when it came out( the book , that is) everyone at school was going mad for it ( how sad were we in those days!)
Anyway, I remember the deputy head, miss Clark her name was, a right strict old bag decided to read it out to us kids in assembly each day, probably trying to " get down with the kids" like they used to in our day. Anyway I'll never forget the morning she read out the bit where Adrian mole had his first ( and this is vile) wet dream (sorry)
Needless to say, the whole room erupted and we all pissed ourselves laughing! :lol:
Oh the joy of getting one over on the teachers was so great!

I'm around the same age as you and the only thing I remember about reading Adrian Mole was his weird obsession with measuring his wang. You could tell it was written by a woman ;) :mrgreen:

I liked Bread at the time but I think I'd hate it now. My boss is one of those dreadful people who still say 'greetings' instead of hello - drives me crazy :evil:

Lou
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Lou » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:47 pm

Yes but I was a pure minded 13 yr old girl then so Adrian mole was rudeness personified!!!
Any way bread was ok when it started off but I do agree the greetings bit does wear a bit thin after a bit( 20 yrs or so!) I've just watched cilla , sheridan smith and miss hazel redfern as her mother. Very good!

Lou
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Lou » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:15 pm

How do you know you r the same age as me then?

Musta bin Elbowed
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Musta bin Elbowed » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:32 pm

Lou wrote:How do you know you r the same age as me then?
Lou wrote:That Adrian mole got me thinking earlier, I think I was about 13 when it came out( the book , that is)

Dazzle anyone me

Hallwood
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Hallwood » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:58 pm

Lou wrote:
Hallwood wrote:I recently finished watching the Adrian Mole TV series based on the books which finally came out on DVD in the last couple of years.

It was very good, and there's a couple of Pet alumni in there; the Irish fella that sells Moxey his fake Irish papers is in it, and Marjorie is also in it.
Loved that when I was at school. Didn't like Lulu as his mom though, preferred Julie Walters.
I wonder what happened to Adrian Mole? Don't think I've heard of him since. Can't remember his name.
Gian Sammarco. He went on to present kids TV show Get Fresh, and he gave up acting and became a nurse.

BarryTaylor
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by BarryTaylor » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:03 pm

Bread is currently being re-ran by Drama so you can watch around 78% of the original episode....
Ben Adams

Midlands based Fan.
Drives an "automatic Metro"....

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:07 pm

Aint that the truth... the latest AWP edits were a bloody mess also..
OP

Lou
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Lou » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:19 am

What have they edited out of bread, then? I don't remember it being that bad for swearing or anything.

BarryTaylor
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by BarryTaylor » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:47 am

Drama are a commercial channel so each programme has to have commercials edited in making the show longer, however they are keen to show as many programmes a day so they edit the programmes down so that they can show a 30 minute programme with 15 mins of adverts in a 38-40 minute slot.

Ironically when they try and bleep out a naughty word they fail miserably often editing the word beforehand!
Ben Adams

Midlands based Fan.

Magowan
Plumber
Plumber

Post by Magowan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:46 pm

AWP Corsa Tim wrote:Something i havent seen since it aired i think... didnt it have Sam Kelly in it.. who played Bunny in Porridge too? Poor chap died only recently..
No, he was in On The Up with Waterman instead. Not all that keen on that show though; quite a letdown from Bob Larbey after being the other half who gave us Ever Decreasing Circles.
GET BAAAAAAAACK!

BarryTaylor
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by BarryTaylor » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:54 pm

We loved On The Up in our house, it seemed easier to understand the comedy compared to Ever Decreasing Circles which took a second viewing for us to get some of the more subtle jokes.
Ben Adams

Midlands based Fan.