Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Laurel And Hardy!!!

Come and have a 'quiet' chat with the lads about anything from 'The scandal of unregistered old peoples homes' to 'simone signoret' films..... :P
Warning: This section contains adult language!

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Laurel And Hardy!!!

Post by RHill » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:47 pm

I can't believe I've just found this out - and I'm probably the last to know this. During the 1950s, Stan and Oliver visited Stan's Sister (Olga) who ran a pub called the Bull's Inn, in - wait for it... Bottesford! Okay, it's a small world. But listen to this! Then I learned that Stan and Oliver also had a holiday home in Redmile!!! Jesus! It really is a small world. I love Laurel and Hardy, seen all their films, big fan and that - and yet the name locations appear on my screen.

Is this well known then? Am I the last to know aboot this like?

Lou
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Re: Laurel And Hardy!!!

Post by Lou » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:50 pm

News to me mate

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:47 pm

I did know they had Notts connections but I didn't know that.

Lou
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Lou » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:41 pm

I remember watching them when I was little but not really into them. Can't stand those naff statues people have in their houses. All a bit dated I think now.
And also I think they were having it off.
Old school morcambe and wise, they shared a double bed.

Lou
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Lou » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:18 am

Also is it true that the little one was Clint Eastwoods dad?

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:29 am

Clints dad was also called Clinton Eastwood.

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:35 pm

No it's not true that Stan Laurel was Clint's Dad. Rumours that Stan Laurel died broke is also not true. There is a Youtube video somewhere of Richard & judy interviewing Stan's daughter who mentions these topics. :)

rodoz
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by rodoz » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:48 am

Another connection with AWP is that Stan Laurel was thought to be born in North Shields (just out side Newcastle).
This was proved to be wong and was in fact born in Ulverston, a small market town in south cumbria. It is highly likely that Nev & Brenda visted the Laural & Hardy museum in Ulverston on their holidays in the Lake District.
Another similarity is that the museum started life as one man’s collection stemming from his lifelong love of ‘the boys’.
Ulverston is close to where I live and I have been a couple of times to the self proclaimed 'World Famous' Laurel & Hardy museum with my kids years ago but have not been since it relocated to larger premises.
It attracts fans from all over the world & they would be happy to answer any questions.
http://www.laurel-and-hardy.co.uk/museum.html

Lou
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Lou » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:38 pm

How bloody boring

rodoz
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by rodoz » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:59 pm

Ta very much Lou.... one of my better attributes

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:02 pm

RHill wrote:I can't believe I've just found this out - and I'm probably the last to know this. During the 1950s, Stan and Oliver visited Stan's Sister (Olga) who ran a pub called the Bull's Inn, in - wait for it... Bottesford! Okay, it's a small world. But listen to this! Then I learned that Stan and Oliver also had a holiday home in Redmile!!! Jesus! It really is a small world. I love Laurel and Hardy, seen all their films, big fan and that - and yet the name locations appear on my screen.

Is this well known then? Am I the last to know aboot this like?

The Bull inn.. in Bottesford.. was where the former landlord of the Windmill inn now is... but when i went to see the landlord to ask him about the Windmill's history i noticed i was in a Laurel and Hardy themed pub... as i say on the start of my 3 hour video...
I believe there's a pub REALLY seriously dedicated to them in Lincolnshire too.. people pass it on the way to Skeg from Notts.. on the A52 somewhere i think.. may be wrong.. but its that way somewhere..
OP

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:26 pm

Jees I can't believe the former landlord of the Windmill is now at the Bull Inn. The world is getting smaller. Personally, I think that is amazing. Interesting fact, there Tim.

By the way Rodoz, it was never thought that Stan was born in N'Shields. He did however lived in North Shields as a lad while his Dad ran a theatre in Blyth. There are very long steep steps that takes you to the Tyne and Stan used to climb up and down them a lot as a kid - which is where he got his idea from in the film 'The Music Box' where Stan and Ollie try and hump a piano up many flight of stairs. :P

Breaking Away
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Breaking Away » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:04 am

Lou wrote:How bloody boring
Fair play Lou. You could ask if they were having it off.

GatesheadRevisited
Plasterer
Plasterer

Post by GatesheadRevisited » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:21 am

That's another fine mess you've got me into BA :)

Lou
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Lou » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:30 am

RHill wrote:Jees I can't believe the former landlord of the Windmill is now at the Bull Inn. The world is getting smaller. Personally, I think that is amazing. Interesting fact, there Tim.

By the way Rodoz, it was never thought that Stan was born in N'Shields. He did however lived in North Shields as a lad while his Dad ran a theatre in Blyth. There are very long steep steps that takes you to the Tyne and Stan used to climb up and down them a lot as a kid - which is where he got his idea from in the film 'The Music Box' where Stan and Ollie try and hump a piano up many flight of stairs. :P
Said I thought they were a bit dodgy, imagine to blokes humping a piano.......