Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Last Film You Watched...

Come and have a 'quiet' chat with the lads about anything from 'The scandal of unregistered old peoples homes' to 'simone signoret' films..... :P
Warning: This section contains adult language!

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

Si
Gaffer
Gaffer

Last Film You Watched...

Post by Si » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:05 pm

The Big Job (1965)

It's 1950 and in a crime-ridden England, a crooked gang led by George the Brain (Sid James) bungle a bank robbery and stash their ill gotten gains in an old oak tree in the countryside before they get nicked.

15 years later they're released and off they go to collect their loot. But whilst they've been at Her Majesty's pleasure, Oldfield New Town has been built and the old oak tree now adorns the yard of the local police station...

So, my first day off in ages was today. I came down at 9:30 am and decided to watch one of the numerous DVDs i've still not got round to watching. I opted for The Big Job. At 85 mins it's an easy watch.

Her upstairs came down at half ten and asked "Which one is this?"

She meant which Carry On film, and that was understandable given that the director, producer, writer, musician and most of the actors here were stalwarts of the long running Anglo Amalgamated / Rank film franchise.

I did laugh a lot at this film, even though it did plod along sometimes. It's better than some Carry On's but not as good as most. But then again, is it fair to rate it like that when it's a film in it's own right? I dunno. But all along I was doing it.

Anyway, I wont get too technical about anything. The performances were fine, I had a few laughs and I can think of worse ways to spend 85 mins on a Saturday morning.

Plus it was so short that James Martin was still on the telly when it finished. So she was happy. And that makes my life a whole lot easier :D

6/10

Si
Gaffer
Gaffer

Re: Last Film You Watched...

Post by Si » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:48 pm

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen (2011)

A salmon fly-fishing loving Yemeni sheikh wants to take his pastime to the desert of the Yemen. He enlists his financial adviser, Harriet (Emily Blunt) to take care of the task. In turn she contacts fisheries expert Dr Alfred Jones (Ewan McGregor) who tells her it's impossible.

Due to the horrors of war stories coming out of Afghanistan, the Prime Minister's Press Liaison officer, Patricia Maxwell (Kristen Scott-Thomas) decides this escapade should be pushed into the limelight and must be done.

So Harriet and Fred set about making a sheikh's dream come true...

'Er indoors got this from I Love Film (she joined despite my protests). I must say I really rather enjoyed it. Right from the off it was charming and engaging.

Great characters, a funny and moving script and a scene-stealing turn from Kristen Scott-Thomas all equal a lovely, summery British film.

Not something i'd have chosen to watch myself, but am glad I did.

7/10

Geordie
Electrician
Electrician

Post by Geordie » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:28 pm

Blade Runner - I watched it for the first time last week. It's better and worse in some places then I thought it was going to be. I love the "Noir" look of the film though, it's amazing too watch in that sense.

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:44 pm

The last film I watched was Batman - The Dark Knight Rises, my wife got me the full BluRay set for Xmas. I am not a massive Comic film fan, but I have to say its one of the best films I have ever seen! I have recently got hold if Withnail and I, and although I have never watched it, it's on my list of things to watch. Many say its one if the best films ever, so I hope it lives up....

Si
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Si » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:52 pm

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet wrote: I have recently got hold if Withnail and I, and although I have never watched it, it's on my list of things to watch. Many say its one if the best films ever, so I hope it lives up....
It's not one of the best films ever. It's THE best film ever :D

I've probs seen it 100 times or more.

To be fair it may not be to everyone's taste, but each to their own.

Every line is a gem. It's so quotable, there are Withnail quote threads on many many TV forums.

Richard Griffiths is the best thing in it, and the other things are simply superb.

Just one quote to see you on your way...

"I can never touch meat until it's cooked. As a youth I used to weep in Butchers' shops." :D

I'm so jealous you're seeing it for the first time. Enjoy!

Si
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Si » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:53 pm

Geordie wrote:Blade Runner - I watched it for the first time last week. It's better and worse in some places then I thought it was going to be. I love the "Noir" look of the film though, it's amazing too watch in that sense.
Fantastic film. My sis got me a box set with all the versions on. Still not watched The Final Cut yet. Just hope it's as good as the Director's Cut.

The CD is a knockout too :)

poxeymoxey
Plumber
Plumber

Post by poxeymoxey » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:16 am

The last film we saw at the cinema was The Impossible. Very moving and fantastic effects on recreating the tsunami. Last night we watched the Woody Allen film Match Point which is a very tense thriller. The main character is so awful I could almost have strangled him from my sofa! Woody Allen isn't to everyones taste but I like most of his films. And you have to admire his longevity.

Breaking Away
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Breaking Away » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:31 am

The Hobbit was the last I saw at the flicks, and just watched Oceans 11 and 12 on DVD last week. Keen on seeing Flight next.

Anyone see The Intouchables? Fantastic French film. Very funny and couldn't recommend more. I watched the trailer beforehand which was a mistake. Read a review instead if deciding if it's your cup of tea.

poxeymoxey
Plumber
Plumber

Post by poxeymoxey » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:05 pm

Breaking Away wrote:The Hobbit was the last I saw at the flicks, and just watched Oceans 11 and 12 on DVD last week. Keen on seeing Flight next.

Anyone see The Intouchables? Fantastic French film. Very funny and couldn't recommend more. I watched the trailer beforehand which was a mistake. Read a review instead if deciding if it's your cup of tea.
Do you mean Untouchable, the one about the guy in the wheelchair. Yes, it was a fanatastic film. So funny! I also want to see Flight too. Looks good.

Breaking Away
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Breaking Away » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:40 pm

Yep the dude in the wheelchair. It is The Intouchables, i just double checked

poxeymoxey
Plumber
Plumber

Post by poxeymoxey » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:50 pm

Breaking Away wrote:Yep the dude in the wheelchair. It is The Intouchables, i just double checked
It is actually down as both on Google search if you enter Untouchable.

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:07 pm

Last film to see at the cinema at least was SCREAM 4.. to be honest it wasnt 100% what we expected as fans but i enjoyed it.. there arent many films that appear these days that interest me sadly, although, a couple may come in the future.. A dumb and Dumber Sequel has been long rumoured and is due in the near future.. want to see what Harry and Lloyd have been doing..
OP

Si
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Si » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:35 pm

House! (2000)

Business in La Scala bingo house is dying. A new mega-complex has opened nearby and it seems La Scala is destined to doom.

One of the workers, Linda (Kelly Macdonald) discovers she has the power to predict the numbers of each bingo game. But her talent cannot be used for personal gain, so to save La Scala she has to ensure someone else wins the £1m Bonanza draw.

But the only people that can help her are her money-grabbing aunt Beth and flakey star bingo caller Gavin....

2000?? 2000???? I just checked the year of this film. I thought it was around 2006/7. Was shocked it's 13 years old!

Anyway, this was a lovely warm film. Apart from my brief synopsis above there's not much more to say in way of plot. That's pretty much it. But it was very enjoyable nontheless.

It also has my fave actress in it - Miriam Margolyes. And as usual, she was sublime.

7/10 :)

poxeymoxey
Plumber
Plumber

Post by poxeymoxey » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:33 pm

Been to to see Flight starring Denzel Washington today. For most of the film he plays a character so hung up on booze and drugs that you don't sympathize with him at all, but he shows his true colours at the end and is very moving. Another great Robert Zemeckis film.

Si
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Si » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:04 pm

The Last Starfighter (1984)

Whilst doing handyman work in the trailer park he's desperate to get away from, Alex Rogan (Lance Guest) fills his spare time playing the Starfighter video game outside the local bar. Much to the delight of his girlfriend, Maggie (Catherine Mary Stewart) and the local population, Alex finally beats the game and becomes its champion. But back in the real world the grant he needs to escape his surroundings is turned down and he's going nowhere.

That is until a mysterious old man arrives in a rather special car to tell Alex the game is a recruitment machine to find the best Starfighter in the galaxy (well, this side of Las Vegas anyway).

For Alex, the game is over, but the adventure is just beginning....

What a blast from the past this film was. I remember it so much from my childhood. Must say, being brought up on Star Wars I wasn't a huge fan originally, It's part set in real-time California and part set in the outer space Star - League. So, it didn't sit right at the time.

Watching it now I see it as a lovely good-willed film . The spaceship effects don't stand up well today; think Tron meets Acorn Electron and you get the idea. But it'd be churlish to castigate this film on that shortcoming alone when it's timeless charm outweighs any post-Star Wars naffness.

And besides, the aliens look, for want of a better term, out of this world. The make-up crew did an amazing job here and the masks could slot into any sci-fi film of modern times. And they're better than the CGI stuff we see in Avatar and its ilk.

All round greatness. And the trailer park itself is simply perfect. And wonderful. And I wouldn't mind taking a vacation there :)

And the Death Blossom weapon is as awesome today as when I was 6 years old :D

8/10

ETA: trailer (SPOILERS):