Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Boon

Come and have a 'quiet' chat with the lads about anything from 'The scandal of unregistered old peoples homes' to 'simone signoret' films..... :P
Warning: This section contains adult language!

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

Magowan
Plumber
Plumber

Re: Boon

Post by Magowan » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:28 pm

I agree with poxeymoxey with the third series being average in comparison to the first two series with only the opening two "Charity Begins At Home" episodes, "Honourable Service" and "One Reborn Every Minute" being the highlight episodes. At the moment, I'm finishing Series 4 and am not enjoying the new way the show is shot along with the new music cues introduced in that series. They make the series look dated in comparison to its three predecessors.
GET BAAAAAAAACK!

BarryTaylor
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by BarryTaylor » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:47 pm

Series 4 moved from film to video, as did many other programmes at the time. They also started using Steadicam more.

It was also produced by a new person, Michele Buck who had previously worked on Crossroads and I think that showed through in Boon. You could probably watch Series 4 as a standalone series and it would work such as it is very divorced from Series 3 or 5.

What I can promise you is that Series 5 and 6 are very very good. Series 7 feels a bit repetitive in places, almost like the writers have run out of fresh ideas.
Ben Adams

Midlands based Fan.
Drives an "automatic Metro"....

Magowan
Plumber
Plumber

Post by Magowan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:28 pm

Thanks for the reassurance, BarryTaylor. Finished watching the fifth series last night and thought it was the best one so far. The change from video to film and the music cues weren't a problem at all (The video look being much more toned down and the music wisely spread out and not as loud in comparison to their predecessor) and I didn't find Rocky as irritating as I did in earlier series. 19/20 :mrgreen:
GET BAAAAAAAACK!

poxeymoxey
Plumber
Plumber

Post by poxeymoxey » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:42 pm

Interesting to read all the differing perspectives on this show. Still not written it off entirely, but still not bought the next series.

Magowan
Plumber
Plumber

Post by Magowan » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:26 pm

Finished watching Series 6. Utterly fantastic; the closing episode being the main highlight focusing on Ken and Harry's friendship being put through the blender by a new business opportunity and love interest for Harry. 19/20
GET BAAAAAAAACK!

Magowan
Plumber
Plumber

Post by Magowan » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:49 pm

Just finished watching Series 7. Good way for the show to end with the highlight episodes being "Walkout", "Away From It All", "Blackballed" and "Shot In The Dark". From watching "Thieves Like Us", it was a pity we never had that eighth series. 18/20

I also now think better of the third series too. Still not all that keen on the fourth series though but time will tell.
GET BAAAAAAAACK!

Bomber
Plumber
Plumber

Post by Bomber » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:17 pm

I enjoyed all of the boon series after series 1. It's a great programme, the Christmas Special was good too !!

BarryTaylor
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by BarryTaylor » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:15 pm

I've always been a bit bemused by the standalone episode 'Thieves Like Us' which was shown 2 years and 5 months later on May Day Bank Holiday 1995.

It was directed by Anthony Garner who not only directed other Boon episodes screen between 1990 and 1992 he also directed some of Series 2 of AWP. The storyline doesn't carry on from the end of Series 7-no mention is made of Alex and Ken's budding relationship or Harry's engagement to Mary, and the titles are the same as Series 7, whereas Boon usually changed the titles every year, also its clear from the end credits it was made in 1992.

My theory is that the storyline and the episode was meant to be included in the canon of Series 7 but for whatever reason was not screened, possibly because it mirrored something happening in real life and was held back. A Bank Holiday comes along and Carlton has nothing to show so it sticks an unscreened episode of Boon on!
Ben Adams

Midlands based Fan.
Drives an "automatic Metro"....

Bomber
Plumber
Plumber

Post by Bomber » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:05 pm

Yeah it is a bit random that the episode stands alone. I think that's the episode when Rocky is working in the hotel ??

It's got so much in common with AWP too such as different locations and actors that have appeared in both programmes :)

Bomber
Plumber
Plumber

Post by Bomber » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:13 pm

Just realised the building used in my favourite boon episode 'is there anybody there?' Was Wiverton Hall, Tithby in Notts and it's not far from Bingham. I would have visited that when I went to the fan gathering :( it reminds me a lot of Thornley Manor!

Magowan
Plumber
Plumber

Post by Magowan » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:11 pm

BarryTaylor wrote:I've always been a bit bemused by the standalone episode 'Thieves Like Us' which was shown 2 years and 5 months later on May Day Bank Holiday 1995.
I think it was supposed to be part of an eighth series, judging by the look of the film and the fact the CCTV screens in the security office read 1993.
GET BAAAAAAAACK!

Lou
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Lou » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:54 pm

I always remember Michael Elphick opening the Dillons newsagents down our shops when I was little. He pulled up on this big motorbike. I remember all the moms swooning over him.
This would have been when he was in Boon. I remember I only went because they were giving out free sweets.

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:11 pm

Bomber wrote:Just realised the building used in my favourite boon episode 'is there anybody there?' Was Wiverton Hall, Tithby in Notts and it's not far from Bingham. I would have visited that when I went to the fan gathering :( it reminds me a lot of Thornley Manor!

The place (at this time) is actually rented out to friends of friends of mine... they keep saying if i ever did Boon location videos then i could go and film there.. it was used in Series 5 and 7.. Once as a derelict house, and once as a haunted mansion...
OP

Bomber
Plumber
Plumber

Post by Bomber » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:31 pm

AWP Corsa Tim wrote:
Bomber wrote:Just realised the building used in my favourite boon episode 'is there anybody there?' Was Wiverton Hall, Tithby in Notts and it's not far from Bingham. I would have visited that when I went to the fan gathering :( it reminds me a lot of Thornley Manor!

The place (at this time) is actually rented out to friends of friends of mine... they keep saying if i ever did Boon location videos then i could go and film there.. it was used in Series 5 and 7.. Once as a derelict house, and once as a haunted mansion...

I'm going to have to watch Series 5 again now to see which episode it appears in :lol: I know that there are loads and loads of Notts locations used in Boon. The cooling towers from AWP appear in two of the episodes. They actually drive in to the works for one of them and in the other episode they go down the river that runs past them in a boat

Cheers again for my signature mate :)

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:22 pm

Check the link... Series 5, Episode 3... Rival Eyes...

https://web.archive.org/web/20130112081 ... cation.htm
OP