Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Brexit vs Auf Pet love

Questions in here...

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

AhhBrenda
Plumber
Plumber

Brexit vs Auf Pet love

Post by AhhBrenda » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:25 pm

How do you square the series given it was based on UK workers off to Germany etc. and that now Brexit will change the premise on which it was based ?

Personally I feel incredibly sad about what leaving the E.U. represents. It makes AP even more poignant, and depressing to watch. Could be wrong but I am guessing most people voted Brex on this site, not sure why I think that really.. I suppose a lot of people up north voted Brex.

rodoz
Gaffer
Gaffer

Re: Brexit vs Auf Pet love

Post by rodoz » Fri May 24, 2019 3:51 pm

AhhBrenda wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:25 pm
How do you square the series given it was based on UK workers off to Germany etc. and that now Brexit will change the premise on which it was based ?

Personally I feel incredibly sad about what leaving the E.U. represents. It makes AP even more poignant, and depressing to watch. Could be wrong but I am guessing most people voted Brex on this site, not sure why I think that really.. I suppose a lot of people up north voted Brex.
Must have missed this post.
It's nice to know that Brexit will change the premise of AWP, as the show was based on a severe shortage of construction work in the UK at the time and workers being forced abroad to earn a wage, working as self-employed without insurance or holiday pay and being treated in a contemptuous manner by main and sub-contractors as well as temp agencies.
In Germany being refered to as 'Gastarbeiter', German for "guest worker", a term which was also used during the Nazi era for "foreign worker". The Germans have always known how to look after their guests.
Many other european countries had similar respect for their guests.

The lenght of time it's taking to break away from the EU, they could have made another couple of series.
Brexit has now seen off another PM ('you only had one job to do', springs to mind).

I'd love to know your thoughts on what the EU represents, and where the UK North / South devide begins and ends.

The demographics you suggest are pro Brexit don't appear to match the reality and I'm sure not all AWP fans abide in the red areas.
brexit1.jpg
brexit1.jpg (43.28 KiB) Viewed 400 times

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Fri May 24, 2019 5:31 pm

In the words of Barry, “It’s very interesting this....”

I would personally say fans are divided 50/50 on Brexit, due to the feedback on social media. We’ve tried to stay neutral, but also bring AWP into the Brexit news and at least try and lighten the media, all be it trying to be careful not to sway either way.

AWP has also been used many times since Brexit broke in the media for the obvious reasons. I’m sure it’ll continue for a while yet.

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Fri May 24, 2019 6:20 pm

"Bollocks" becomes "Boris" :lol: