Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet - When Life Was Simpler.

General chat about all things Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet - When Life Was Simpler.

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:24 pm

I was thinking today, and without getting too heavy, about how life was so much simpler back in 1983. You can take a philosophical look into Pet, and find quite deep and meaningful parts, or you can just watch it and laugh. After viewing it so many times now, it's getting easier to really look into life in 83 and how it is now.

Here is an example.

Oz takes his car all the way from Newcastle to Dusseldorf without insurance, and its so easy for him to do so. Can you imagine doing that today, he would be lucky to get to the coast, before being picked up by an ANPR camera. Now, I do not condone breaking the law and not insuring your car, but how simple and non worrying is that?!.
I would give anything to have that feeling of not getting zapped for doing 36 in a 30, or going over a few days on your car tax.
1983, although I was only 6/7 at the time, looking back, nee worries, nee panic. Simple.

I would love thoughts on this.

Ping Pong Pippa
Electrician
Electrician

Re: Auf Wiedersehen, Pet - When Life Was Simpler.

Post by Ping Pong Pippa » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Now I don't know if it was artistic license or a "thing to make you go hmmm" - I wasn't a frequent flier in those days - but the scene in the airport in series 2, Hasta La Vista, I think, where the lads, presumably having checked in their luggage and gone through passport control, are blowing the froth off a couple of pre flight beers, when they are informed by Dennis that they are "not going today" - can you imagine the uproar in today's airports given the same set of circumstances?

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:24 pm

I was 25, married for 3 years, bloody madness. Our first bairn was born in September. Cant put old heads on young shoulders but oh how easy it all was. If only I had known that at the time. The PC brigade was in its infancy. Nowdays, you needs a permit just to fart and if you have one, you needs another one ! You canna crack jokes anymore otherwise you may offend someone. That's why AWP was and still is so special. It captured a time within a time. The cold war was at one of its coldest points and The Fauklands, The Fauklands ! Yet here were a bunch of blokes, just strangers thrown together and don't we still just love their exploits ?! Simple, daft, serious but all delivered with panache and comeradery. That's why Im here. What am I doin over here ? Hey, Ive got the book if ya want to read it loike ...

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:33 pm

After posting, I realised I should have asked in NZ was the same as the UK, or the feeling of it being more relaxed in 83....Thanks Tracy, now where's breaking when you need him!

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:52 pm

I heard he was in the Nick. Something aboot breaking a chair over the wardens head !

Breaking Away
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Breaking Away » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:14 am

Oi oi! Yep, it's bloody madness nowadays. Hey, is it compulsory to insure your car? It's not here which is ridiculous.
I know it was easy to get your drivers license back then. You went driving with mum or dad and studied the road code. You then booked in for your test and 2 hours later you had your full drivers license. Now it takes 2 or 3 years before you have your full drivers license. You have to pass the road code test before you are even allowed behind the wheel.
Work wise, if we want something fixed that isn't urgent, it can go through 8 people before the job is complete. The paperwork is ridiculous.
Another load of bollocks I read a few months ago that a school had organised a father/son weekend but some single mum insisted that she should be allowed to go. In the end the whole thing was called off because of her. Seems like you can't tell someone to sod off anymore.

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:46 am

aahhh yes, a year or so back, a golf club was all set to stage its annual husband and wife tournament. Been held for decades. Then the gay brigade protested because same sex partners were not invited. Caused such an uproar, the whole thing went doon the crapper !!! Welcome to the 21st century nightmare ...

DiventFret
Carpenter
Carpenter

Post by DiventFret » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:16 pm

I don't know if life was simpler for a bricky, back then, versus now.

What I do know is that every day I drive home from a hugely stressful office job, having been in a car for 3 hours all round, to then be greeted with the emails and problems that developed just on the commute home.

I watch Auf Pet every night of the week whilst going to sleep, as I hope to god in the next life that I can be a bricky on the lump in Germany. Yes, I reckon it was simpler!

BarryTaylor
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by BarryTaylor » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:08 pm

Yeah when did it become acceptable to email and text problems to staff outside working hours? Do things really need to be sorted immediately?
Ben Adams

Midlands based Fan.
Drives an "automatic Metro"....

Fletch
Electrician
Electrician

Post by Fletch » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:39 am

back in 1983 it was a lot more simple, I was only 6 more concerned about my action men than anything else!
Can always remeber my dad not letting me watch AWP, to much bad langauge i think he had a good point. But i think we here far worse now days, very tame back then compared to now.

peng50
Boozer
Boozer

Post by peng50 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:34 am

Kinda related in a way... Was reading the local paper this morning and there was a feature
on an old Chester F.C supporter who would run onto the pitch at every home game, during Half Time and entertain the crowd with Peater Beagrie style back flips and somersaults.

Imagine if he'd have done that today... he would have been banned for life dragged through the courts and hammered with hefty fine.

totti
Electrician
Electrician

Post by totti » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:17 pm

I worked on many building sites as a labourer in the mid 80's after leaving school and Health and Saftey was practically non existent. I can't think of anyone who wore safety boots, Nike or Adidas trainers were the norm. My dust mask was a hanky tied around my face and you would have been laughed off the site if caught wearing a hard hat. The site hut where we had out breaks would have been condemned and the van I was picked up in (a Bedford CF)was a health hazard. This was the norm on most sites back then and nobody was hurt or injured.

After leaving the sites I worked for a tool/plant hire shop which was again a mostly builders environment and loved every minute of it. Chatting to the workmen over a cup of tea and a Benson and Hedges and delivering to sites all over the district. Only ended up in hospital once while I worked there when I fell off the back of the van when loading it in the yard and landed on a plate compactor cutting my ear open quite badly. Had to drive myself to hospital as the boss said it was my fault that I fell off! Our main in house game was to catch another member off staff uaware and punch them on the arm as hard as possible (Seemed a good idea at the time) The boss one day caught me unaware and I soon had a dead arm, I left it a couple of days for my revenge. Waited until he had finished serving a customer and as he was making his way to the till I caught him a peach of a punch on the arm and watched as all the change in his hand went flying and he stormed off in a strop and shut himself in his office. I think he had a little cry. Happy days!!

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:28 pm

To make it simple, we have too much to worry about these days.

peng50
Boozer
Boozer

Post by peng50 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:49 pm

Flicking the coin over for a moment, and certain things are a lot simpler now than they
were back in 1983... No more searching around for a payphone that works like Barry
In Newcastle as the country is armed with mobiles.

Neville wouldn't have the trek to the post office every friday night to send Brenda her money - a few clicks and it would be in her bank account straight away.

Just a couple of examples but I'm sure there are many more.

BarryTaylor
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by BarryTaylor » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:31 pm

They certainly wouldn't be allowed to work 'on the lump' in 2013 they would all be registered workers pay German Tax and NI and I very much doubt they would be paid in cash.
Ben Adams

Midlands based Fan.
Drives an "automatic Metro"....