Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Wyman in the Special

General chat about all things Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

KismetsNotAName
Brickie
Brickie

Wyman in the Special

Post by KismetsNotAName » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:19 am

Dont get me wrong i quite liked wyman but did anyone else think he overacted when the lads were whistling when they were imprisoned in thier bamboo hut? His facial mannerisms were way over the top in my opinion.

AlreetPal
Legal Advisor
Legal Advisor

Re: Wyman in the Special

Post by AlreetPal » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:25 am

Bought sod all the latter series, the idea was a good one to have someone related to Wayne appear but I never really liked his character.
On the whistling, am I right in thinking he couldn't whistle beforehand that's why he over-reacted.
Shut ya yak will ya man, you snivelling little git.

We're sophisticated blokes us, ya know.

KismetsNotAName
Brickie
Brickie

Post by KismetsNotAName » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:28 am

Yes thats right but the way he looks like a startled rabbit really grinds on me. I would have liked for waynes german son (if he was a boy) to have come into the series. Would have really rubbed Oz up the wrong way working with a jorman

Musta bin Elbowed
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Musta bin Elbowed » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:00 pm

Wyman was definitely a missed opportunity and wasn't used anywhere near as well as he could have been - by series four he had just become pretty much a foil for other people's gags and to occasionally advance the 'Nev spy' plot.

In fact his mum was more important to series 4 than he was!

Howard Radcliff
Architect
Architect

Post by Howard Radcliff » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:49 pm

KismetsNotAName wrote:Yes thats right but the way he looks like a startled rabbit really grinds on me. I would have liked for waynes german son (if he was a boy) to have come into the series. Would have really rubbed Oz up the wrong way working with a jorman
There's no doubt in my mind the storyline would have been significantly stronger had Wayne's German son been introduced rather than Wyman. What more does an Auf Pet storyline need? It makes perfect sense.

And why didn't Wyman ever mention his half brother? Or Christa for that matter? We know he was keen to meet his dads work colleagues / mates to find out more about Wayne so why wouldn't he go in search of his family (albeit not immediate family) to find out more about his dad?

I don't believe this (obvious) idea was overlooked. Some of the answers you'll find in Jimmy Nails autobiography 'A Northern Soul'...

dan slider
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by dan slider » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:27 pm

I didn't mind Wyman, thought he did a good job with little story he had to play with.
Jimmy Nail said in his book that he didn't like the idea of having someone fill Garys boots but it filled the political correction issue with having a black character, and he also said Noel did a good job in such a top heavy cast.
Hey thats a canny jumper man!

Musta bin Elbowed
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Musta bin Elbowed » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:00 pm

dan slider wrote:I didn't mind Wyman, thought he did a good job with little story he had to play with.
Jimmy Nail said in his book that he didn't like the idea of having someone fill Garys boots but it filled the political correction issue with having a black character, and he also said Noel did a good job in such a top heavy cast.

I agree, I thought Noel Clarke himself was excellent, and the character had potential - the writers just seemed to give up on him though.

Hallwood
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Hallwood » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:19 pm

The whole premise of a young lad with no experience in the construction industry tagging along with his late dad's old friends to find out more about his father was a little bit far-fetched in my opinion. Saying that, though, he was a good character and had a few funny scenes in series 3.