Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Memories.........

General chat about all things Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

Lou
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Memories.........

Post by Lou » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:20 pm

Just wondering what all your memories were about the first time you watched Auf Pet.
Not necessarily the first time it aired on TV, no doubt there are some of you who are younger than all us old gits who watched it the first time round.
Anyway, my memory is on a Friday night I was 11 and had just started at "big school"
My dad used to work away( he was a carpenter) and he used to come home on a Friday night
He said " there's a programme on tonight that's about men working away " so we all sat and watched it.(all sat round one telly, not like it is nowadays)
We all loved it and from then on the whole family were hooked. It may sound sad but now I've passed it onto my own children and they all love it. Especially when they quote Pet, they make their mother proud......
Anyway, I always remember going back to school on Monday mornings and talking about it with my friends. We all thought it was great.
Would anyone else like to share.......... :)

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Re: Memories.........

Post by Tracy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:34 am

I have shared this before so I will keep it brief. My shift finished at the Taxi office and I hurried home to see the first screening. Breaking Away will tell us the date. It had been advertised as lads from Newcastle going to work in Germany. My gran on my dad's side was from Newcastle and my mum being of German descent, I wasnt missing this. Hardly understood a Geordie word but loved every minute. Hooked for loife loike and afterall, thats what we're talking about here fellas, QUALITY OF LOIFE !!!

Musta bin Elbowed
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Musta bin Elbowed » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:56 pm

What year was that Tracy? Did it get shown over there at the same time as here or was it later?

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:30 pm

Musta bin Elbowed wrote:What year was that Tracy? Did it get shown over there at the same time as here or was it later?
1984 from memory. Breaking Away has the date, even the time ! Wait till he gets home.

Hallwood
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Hallwood » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:10 pm

The first time I watched it properly was when it was repeated on Channel 4 in the mid-1990s. I had seen the edited half hour episodes a few years before that, but I was about 13 or 14 when I saw it on Channel 4, and understood it a bit better.

Breaking Away
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Breaking Away » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:10 pm

Tracy wrote:
Musta bin Elbowed wrote:What year was that Tracy? Did it get shown over there at the same time as here or was it later?
1984 from memory. Breaking Away has the date, even the time ! Wait till he gets home.
Yeah, alright Tracy. Can I not have a cuppa tea first?

Breaking Away
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Breaking Away » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:22 pm

March 8 1984 at 10pm.

BarryTaylor
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by BarryTaylor » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:20 pm

When Channel 4 re-ran episodes in 1995 we sat down as a family and watched them. My father, as a Brummie, was very impressed with Tim Spall's accent and for ages went around saying 'Swift and Meercillous' for no apparent reason!
Ben Adams

Midlands based Fan.
Drives an "automatic Metro"....

Lou
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Lou » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:42 pm

BarryTaylor wrote:When Channel 4 re-ran episodes in 1995 we sat down as a family and watched them. My father, as a Brummie, was very impressed with Tim Spall's accent and for ages went around saying 'Swift and Meercillous' for no apparent reason!
As a brummie I have to agree. He's got it spot on has tim.

dan slider
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by dan slider » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:07 am

Vaguely remember watching an episode from series 2 as a child, watched it proper when channel 4 re run it in 95.
But still remember been woke up by my mother to tell me that Wayne had died.
Sad times, and what a thing to tell a 6 year old!
Hey thats a canny jumper man!

Hedley Irwin
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Hedley Irwin » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:13 pm

Lou wrote:
BarryTaylor wrote:When Channel 4 re-ran episodes in 1995 we sat down as a family and watched them. My father, as a Brummie, was very impressed with Tim Spall's accent and for ages went around saying 'Swift and Meercillous' for no apparent reason!
As a brummie I have to agree. He's got it spot on has tim.
Except when he says "tara for a bit". It should just be "tara a bit" (or preferably all one word "tararabit")
I need some slippers, and some soap

AWPfanfromNZ
Boozer
Boozer

Post by AWPfanfromNZ » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:11 am

The first time I watched Auf Wiedersehen Pet was when Television New Zealand scheduled the re-runs on it's channel TV One in the afternoons (this would've been round about 2002/2003 - I know cos Mum and I were living with Dad then). My Dad finished work early in the afternoon and came home to do stuff around the house and had the TV on. He was doing something when he heard the 'Breaking Away' theme tune and immediately remembered that it was AWP. He ran around the house like a mad chook trying to find a blank VHS tape to record it, found one and recorded it (from memory, he recorded episode three...) Anyway, Mum and I came home after her picking me up from school and after some time, Dad said to Mum "I taped something off TV that I think you will enjoy". So we sat down and started to watch it. Mum immediately remembered it and this was the first time I was exposed to the 'Magnificent 7' and fell in love with it! From then on, Mum took note of when it was scheduled on TV and recorded almost every episode of series one and two and Mum would let me watch it after school before I did my homework. I can recall when series three was coming to TV...excitement was in the air! And I later found series four scheduled in the TV Guide late at night which was a miracle!

Tracy, Breaking Away: Was Series Two shown on TV One back in the 80s? I can recall my Dad saying that they only showed Series One....

Even though I'm a young sprout (only 20) I must confess I grab out the DVD collection now and then and watch the boys get up to mischief and tbh, I am not ashamed of it...even though my friends won't even know what it is!! :D :D Happy Days!!
Happy Days!! :D :D

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:16 am

Yes Pet.

Breaking Away
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Breaking Away » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:00 am