Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Ultimate Moments?

General chat about all things Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ultimate Moments?

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:44 am

A long while back we did 'Classic Clips' in which we asked Forum members to choose a Classic Clip and explain why, what it meant etc. it was successful, with many of the videos on You Tube racking up thousands of views.

I'd like to do it again, but this time I want your 'Ultimate Moment' a scene from Pet which too you is your Ultimate Moment.

Tell us what it is and in a few words why it is, so it can introduce the video.

Mine would be the end of S2, on the boat.
That feeling will never leave me, the euphoria of not knowing, but knowing as a 10 year old, it was over, Gary had gone and I'd never see them again. The music, the lads, it has it all. For me it's also classic 80's, Spain, English criminals and all that media. To this day it gives me goose bumps.

That's mine, what's yours?

GeordieMaffia
Brickie
Brickie

Re: Ultimate Moments?

Post by GeordieMaffia » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:10 am

Mine would probably be Dennis telling Dagmar that he will be going back to England to be with Vera.

Whilst we all may of disagreed with this and then found out in series 2 that this was the wrong choice, the way he explains that it's about the kids and home, just shows what a decent bloke Dennis is. Working man putting family first. You've got to admire that, as the majority of us in real life are like that.

Lou
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Lou » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:27 pm

For me it has to be when the lads watch the Thornely Manor orgy tape and cop Pringle with Pee Wee. Even when we watch it now, we still scream when Pringle comes into view. And afterwards it's just brilliant to see Pringle grovelling to the lads knowing they've got him over a barrel and he's powerless to do anything about it. After him being such a tyrant it's great to watch him squirm.

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:09 pm

When Dennis buys Dagma a gift for helping out with Neville and Brenda. He has been so caught up in life's horrors, I dont think he noticed at first that Dagma was, how you say, taking a shine to him ?! The years of a rocky marriage, separation and now divorce, building business doon the toilet, its taken Dennis hard, thrown him off kilter. Now in Germany, he's been made the reluctant leader in a hut full of overgrown adolescents and Nev got himself banged up. He is exhausted by it all. I'll get to the point. Dagma makes her move. In a delightful moment, the light breaks through Den's blackest of clouds and in that flash, he sees the hope and possibly the start of a new relationship, or love. Anyone who has 'been there', knows the euphoric feeling and adrenalin rush to the heart. The scene captures that and when Dagma asks if he too is married, his reply of, "Yea I am actually ah but only just !", sees that light become a ray of hope that lifts my spirit into the Petosphere. Or somit like that ! For me, its that ultimate moment. :D DL :P>

The Wai-Ling
Carpenter
Carpenter

Post by The Wai-Ling » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:57 pm

Oh boy, that's a tricky one.

Some great choices by the way folks which just goes to show how difficult it is.

There are a number of moments when I have hair's standing on the back of the neck or something stuck in my eye, but if I had to give it one key moment it would be the final episode of series 1.

After getting blootered the lads are all making their way back to the hut feeling merry and proud.

Oz stops and survery's the Beco site and makes his great speech, "We built all this ye'knaw", that always puts a lump in my throat and sums up the lads mentality when it came to graft, something that lacked a little bit in the later ones but was a great way to end the series in what in many people's eyes was just another series of 13 episodes that would be a one of series that despite the many, many series that followed it such as Common as Muck and Making Out, never ever managed to achieve the perfection and comradeship between the working class that Auf Pet did.

Ping Pong Pippa
Electrician
Electrician

Post by Ping Pong Pippa » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:56 pm

I agree with Lou. The shot of all 7 of them crowded around the telly watching that video and their reaction to seeing "Tiger" is a beautiful moment, and makes me laugh every time I see it.

AWPfanfromNZ
Boozer
Boozer

Post by AWPfanfromNZ » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:54 am

My ultimate moment is when Dennis, Neville and Oz are on the ferry back to Germany at the end of the Christmas special. I always get emotional when I see it...
Happy Days!! :D :D

GatesheadRevisited
Plasterer
Plasterer

Post by GatesheadRevisited » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:10 am

My ultimate moment is the scene at the bus stop next to the Tyne bridge. (Marjorie is taking Rod to Italy) Oz tells his son 'never forget your roots son, wherever you go you'll always be a geordie, cos this is the place that shaped ya, made ya what ya are today'. Auf wiedersehen Son.
As someone who lived through the Thatcher years in England. I had to leave behind my home and family to find work and live in Australia. Watching AWP brings back lots of memories, some good, some not so good.

shirley pollard
Knitting AWP Fan
Knitting AWP Fan

Post by shirley pollard » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:57 am

GatesheadRevisited wrote:My ultimate moment is the scene at the bus stop next to the Tyne bridge. (Marjorie is taking Rod to Italy) Oz tells his son 'never forget your roots son, wherever you go you'll always be a geordie, cos this is the place that shaped ya, made ya what ya are today'. Auf wiedersehen Son.
As someone who lived through the Thatcher years in England. I had to leave behind my home and family to find work and live in Australia. Watching AWP brings back lots of memories, some good, some not so good.
This is mine too,brings a tear to your eyes

that's a canny jumper man !

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:27 pm

Scenes are being added squires!

Lou
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Lou » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:42 pm

When you said "that's mine" Lee, were you not talking about the car......... ;)

Hedley Irwin
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Hedley Irwin » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:52 pm

GatesheadRevisited wrote:My ultimate moment is the scene at the bus stop next to the Tyne bridge. (Marjorie is taking Rod to Italy) Oz tells his son 'never forget your roots son, wherever you go you'll always be a geordie, cos this is the place that shaped ya, made ya what ya are today'. Auf wiedersehen Son.
Similar, but mine is a few moments before. Oz and Rod spending time together by the river, then walking across the field and feeding the horses, with the shipyard cranes in the background.

I was brought up on the Wear rather than the Tyne, but this could easily have been filmed alongside either river, and would have looked the same. Like you, I had to move away in the Thatcher years, and these few scenes remind me, more than any other, of the North East I grew up in
I need some slippers, and some soap

GatesheadRevisited
Plasterer
Plasterer

Post by GatesheadRevisited » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:27 am

Yeah Hedley I know the scene you mean it's a great moment. When Oz tells Rod that his grand dad worked at Walls End Slipway building ships that went around the world and he never left Tyneside....
With the closure of steelworks, shipyards and pits, the north really got hammered.

The Wai-Ling
Carpenter
Carpenter

Post by The Wai-Ling » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:19 pm

GeordieMaffia wrote:Mine would probably be Dennis telling Dagmar that he will be going back to England to be with Vera.

Whilst we all may of disagreed with this and then found out in series 2 that this was the wrong choice, the way he explains that it's about the kids and home, just shows what a decent bloke Dennis is. Working man putting family first. You've got to admire that, as the majority of us in real life are like that.

I'm off again lads, that was really, really sad. Anyone got a tissue?

shirley pollard
Knitting AWP Fan
Knitting AWP Fan

Post by shirley pollard » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:09 pm

I agree with gateshead revisited' ultimate moment but I also like the moment when oz gets up on stage to sing.i could listen to that song over and over.and like bomber said "how can someone so ugly make a nice noise like that"

that's a canny jumper man !