Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Gary Holton - 30 Years

General chat about all things Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gary Holton - 30 Years

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:13 am

It's been 30 years since the passing of Gary Holton, and I would like to write a few words.

I would have been 9 at the time of Gary's death and I don't remember it, not a single memory. I remember Series 2 airing and knowing then that Gary had gone and even as a 9 year old, I remember that this was my first memory really of seeing someone who was dead on screen. I remember that, profoundly.

As you get older you realise that the media is a mess of stories, lots of them made out to be something they aren't, and even simple little things can be taken out of context. I dislike the newspapers very much now and any glossy magazine which is only trying to make a profit from someone's downfall or misery.

The newspapers at the time really went to town on Gary and his 'bad times', and I know even today there might be the occasional stupid remark online. Today I have just seen a comment on You Tube about how Gary was an 'annoying little git' and how he had to numb his insecurity with booze and dope. How do you know?

I find it quite amazing how many people who claim to be fans can comment on someone's life, some they have never met, never knew and will never meet. We never know what is going on behind closed doors, and I know how that is.

I'm not one to dwell on bad times, so lets today remember Gary for how great he was in Auf Wiedersehen, Pet and how many people lives he has changed, for those 26 episodes of pure brilliance!

They say you should never meet your heroes, but just this one time I would have loved to make an exception.

GatesheadRevisited
Plasterer
Plasterer

Re: Gary Holton - 30 Years

Post by GatesheadRevisited » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:31 pm

30 years, gone by so fast. RIP Gary, he had so much more to give. Also to the cast who had to finish the series without him and pretend he was there. Can't imagine how difficult that would have been.

Timmy
Carpenter
Carpenter

Post by Timmy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:40 pm

Without you Gary I don't think Auf Wiedersehen, Pet would have been the success it was. You went too early but I reckon you lived life to the full.

Lou
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Lou » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:43 pm

I remember watching series one and when we all went to school on Monday all the girls on our gang were on about how we all fancied Wayne, well I mean come on, what's not to like, not with those hips.......

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:14 pm

There was neebody in the hut I wanted to get on top of Lou....

dan slider
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by dan slider » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:37 am

Such a Legend, I remember raising a glass on the 10th and 20th anniversary.

It's surely about time a TV network made a documentary about him, with so much unanswered questions
it would make for great TV for even the casual viewer
Hey thats a canny jumper man!