Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Pat Roach

General chat about all things Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

Pete M
Carpenter
Carpenter

Pat Roach

Post by Pete M » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:11 am

I posted a couple of years ago about my occasions of meeting, and even training in Pat Roaches Gym, in the 80's , and even been given the opportunity to show him around our brand new poxy leisure centre in Brum. He was as polite as the queen to begin with, but once the cameras were out of the way, he swore like the proverbial trouper about how shit everything was. I met him several times in fact, but i just read an article on the net describing him as a gentle giant.
The man I met was a very very fair bloke, but gentle...no way. He knew his reputation around Brum, and played it. He had so many businesses going and was hands on them all. A mate of mine worked in one of his cafes, and was nicknamed 'picker' as in pick a window you want to go out of, when takings were down. Forget Arnie, Pat was HUGE! The screen actually made him look smaller than he was
In his hobnail boots he was at least 6 foot 7, just look at ROTS, and forget the wrestling commentator saying he was 18 stone 7, more like 25!! I only put this up as an aside to someone saying Pat Roach was a gentle giant. He had such a reputation around our part of Brum, and, I although he loved his mother, he was someone (and his organization) that you just didnt mess with. Sorry to shatter illusions!

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Re: Pat Roach

Post by RHill » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:33 am

:shock:

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:31 am

Bloody Hell ... DOUBLE :shock: :shock:
OP

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:30 pm

Thanks for that very informative insight. Yes, we all want to make believe Pat Roach was in actual life, the 'Bomber' character. But life is not always what we want it to be and I'm sure our fond reflections about Pat can be rocked if we get close to the truth. I am able to separate TV characters from what their real lives may be as I know they are earning a living, playing a role. For my entertainment to take my mind off my real life. So again, cheers for that piece and I'm glad I got to read it. Works for me anyway. Better get a doughnut. 8-)

Lou
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Lou » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:00 pm

I think I may have posted this before my moms husband bought a car of a bloke who was pats adopted step brother. Acting is a job and there is a real person behind the character.........ill never forget he told mom and Richard how he visited pat in the hospice and said he was like a tiny little shell. Couldn't speak. Just sat on a wheelchair, crying.........heartbreaking.