Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Revisiting the early days

General chat about all things Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

Pete M
Carpenter
Carpenter

Revisiting the early days

Post by Pete M » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:18 pm

For the last couple of years I have for the first time in my life, actively avoided watching my beloved box sets of AWP. it has been such a huge part of my life, first as a teenager and now as an adult (!).
My parents (long gone now) were both fans, and as a teenager Friday nights at 9 became a big thing, AWP, fish n chips or similar, and lashings of lovely cold Becks.
Much the same with the second series, and then through the years, on video then DVD, it has been a constant backdrop to my life, always there to make me smile, often accompanied by a few glugs of something. Like a lot of us fans, I have been known to quote from the script at strange times, and use words and phrases that have left people wondering about my sanity. i got quite embroiled in the fun on the forum a few years back during the search for Mrs Chatterley's house, and contributed a few posts and ramblings concerning a 'timeline' for series two.
But, i found that it was becoming increasingly difficult to watch a whole episode without skipping bits, as i know, or knew the script inside out, word for word, every line, every episode. And I started to wonder if by dissecting every timeline error, continuity error, plot holes etc, i was taking the fan thing a bit too far?
I was trying in my mind to decide if i was being a little sad and childish being obsessive about something that was in its glory over thirty years ago, or if there is nothing wrong in celebrating something so good it doesn't matter if it's thirty or a hundred years old (Shakespeare is still quite popular)
so I had a break and decided to put it away, and return to it when or if I felt like it.
In the last year i have been made redundant from my regular line of employment and struggled to find something to match it, so have ended up doing 'bits and pieces', making do, trying to make meals out of tins, really struggling to stay warm in the last few cold months etc. And then recently, my landlord has decided to sell the rented property I live in, and struggling financially, there seems to be a bleak time ahead, dossing on mates floors, temporary accommodation etc, a real shitty time.
And then i found myself reaching for the comfort of (beer and) Series one DVDS, suddenly in my mind identifying with the idea of roughing it and having to move around looking for work. I have taken a lot of comfort from seeing the lads again, and found the acting, the premise, the characters and the writing to be so wonderfully clever, poignant, and dark, as well as very funny.
I'm sorry that i ever doubted you AWP, sometimes when the chips are down, there is nothing like seeing your old mates!
Hoping the good times will roll around again!
Onwards and upwards folks Pete.

rodoz
Gaffer
Gaffer

Re: Revisiting the early days

Post by rodoz » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:25 pm

Pete M wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:18 pm
I'm sorry that i ever doubted you AWP, sometimes when the chips are down, there is nothing like seeing your old mates!
Hoping the good times will roll around again!
Onwards and upwards folks Pete.
Hope they do roll round for you again Pete.
I lost just about everything 18 months ago when my business collapsed, house, cars, holidays, money grabbing wife.
I miss them all except the business and the wife.
I can see light at the end of the tunnel now mainly thanks to my Kids, the 2 Staffies, beer and AWP.
Not saying beer and AWP is always the answer but it has helped me a few times.
Best of luck Pete

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:31 pm

Aye, when life gives you lemons, buy a bottle of Tequila ! All the best to you son. DL :D

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:33 pm

That post is really touching.

Breaking Away
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Breaking Away » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:10 pm

Very well written Pete. I can relate to a lot of what you say.
At the end of the day home is where AWP is. And there is no place like home. You always come back.
Best wishes Pete.

Pete M
Carpenter
Carpenter

Post by Pete M » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:43 pm

Thanks for all the good wishes I've had from you all, has really cheered me up.
Not only have I rediscovered my old mates on my DVDS, but found good mates here on the forum.
Cheers again folks.....Pete

Howay
Brickie
Brickie

Post by Howay » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:26 am

+1 from me sir - best of luck to you. :)
"Hello playmates"

AhhBrenda
Plumber
Plumber

Post by AhhBrenda » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:57 pm

Hiya mate, yes hope that your fortunes change and that you get to a positive place soon. The weather is going to be nice the next few days so hopefully it inspires you to make your next move/plans. What can we do but just crack on best we can in times of hardship. DL Nowt last forever and that includes awkward periods.