Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Pat Roach

General chat about all things Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

Pete M
Carpenter
Carpenter

Pat Roach

Post by Pete M » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:38 pm

Hi all.
I was born and bred in Birmingham and was lucky enough to meet Pat Roach several times.
I was a fan of the show anyway, as my Mom and Dad loved it, and although I was just a youngster, I was hooked every Friday night.
We watched the Birmingham Bulls American Football team at Alexander Stadium several times in 1986, and Pat played several games for them. He was billed in the programme as ' No.72 P. ROACH NOSE TACKLE'.
After the games Pat would come off the pitch and sign autographs, or outside the stadium by his Rolls Royce, I think his plate was PAT 1.
I got his autograph several times and had a few chats.
Later in about 1991, he was wrestling at a leisure centre about five minutes from where I lived, so I went along to watch.
Purely by accident because I was early, I bumped into him as he was being shown around the leisure centre. Again, he chatted, and I was totally starstruck again!!
The things I remember most about him most are although he was extremely patient and nice, he looked like he wouldn't take any nonsense. Also, it was strange to hear him speak with a broad brummie accent! And lastly, on screen you don't actually get the scale of how bloody huge he was!
Although billed at 6 foot 5, with a pair of boots on and his big curly hair, he wasn't far off 7 foot, I remember him ducking down to get through a standard doorway!
And lastly, no disrespect, but he was always quite scruffy, mismatched clothes etc.
But what a nice man. He was softly spoken, quiet, and always signed autographs.
I wish he had been able to take part in series 5, and I wish he was still with us.
Sorry for yet another ramble....RIP Big Pat

herr ulrich
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Pat Roach

Post by herr ulrich » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:55 pm

lovely post,its exactly how i thought he would be

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:09 pm

Very nice post, its always the best ones that go too early, you never hear about a criminal dying too young do you, yet they bloody deserve to.
OP

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:09 pm

Please dont apologise for sharing such wonderful memories. Your taking the time means an aweful lot, AN AWEFUL LOT to punters like me ! Cheers mate !!!

Addy
Brickie
Brickie

Post by Addy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:46 pm

Pete, that's a great little story and the sort of thing we all want to (well i want to) hear anyway, i've been watching Tim's locations video over the last two nights (just got the last 45 minutes to go Tim) and i'm absolutely engrossed in it all again.

I've probably seen Pat in action during his wrestling days, my nan used to be the caretaker of the local Civic Hall in my home town and many of the World of Sport Saturday wrestling were broadcast from there in the 70's, i was too young to recall all the wrestling stars of the day (apart form the obvious ones) but when ever i see Pat in the opening credits wrestling i always wonder if it at where i watched them.
Rule Britannia, Marmalade & Jam,
5 Chinese crackers up your a**ehole,
Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang!

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:39 pm

Cheers Addy. Hope they have been enjoyed.. itching to do another one very soon..
OP

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:49 pm

Great post Pete. What a great man to share his time with his fans. Not like some stars you hear about today.

Addy
Brickie
Brickie

Post by Addy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:05 am

Trouble with many of todays "stars" is it is all they aspire to is to just be famous, rather than be famous as a side effect for what they have achieved in their primary role/s, which gives them some depth of character.

Sorry to thread drift off Bomber, but going back to the location vids Tim, the access to the places you have been too has been amazing, i and suppose a lot of other folks would like to see you do another location vid.
Rule Britannia, Marmalade & Jam,
5 Chinese crackers up your a**ehole,
Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang!

Breaking Away
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Breaking Away » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:35 am

Great stuff Pete.
The father of a friend of mine here in New Zealand, said he'd wrestled against him. He was visiting from Liverpool and interested that I was a fan of aufpet. A real nice guy he said.

Brendan Mulcahy
Plasterer
Plasterer

Post by Brendan Mulcahy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:38 am

Fantastic story, id love to meet them all to see what they were all really like off screen

dan slider
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by dan slider » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:51 pm

Lovely story Pete,
Ive heard so many great stories of Pat.
A total gentleman.....i love how Jimmy Nail spoke about him in his book.
Pat used to call Jimmy "Big Jim" isnt that lovely.
Hey thats a canny jumper man!

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:26 pm

It's great to hear some stories about the lads, and you don't hear them often.
I guess, and I am not trying to blow my own trumpet here or anything, but without a Forum or place to put all these stories and tales, none of us fans would get to hear stuff like this.

The only time I have heard real life stuff is in the books, or the small amount of interviews which still survive.

Lee

phoenix
Carpenter
Carpenter

Post by phoenix » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:17 pm

There was a wrestling exhibition at the festival inn round the corner from me.1992 i can't remember for sure but i recon Pat Roach proberbly attended.Big Daddy,Giant Haystcks And all the regulars off itv wrestling attended.Pat Roach was part of the scene.I have an offically made itv best of itv wrestling dvd but i am not sure about this event as there is no info on the net.I think it was about july 1992.

Pete M
Carpenter
Carpenter

Post by Pete M » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:52 pm

Lee, don't worry about 'blowing your own trumpet' about this site and forum. Life is short, if you have a passion, then enjoy being passionate about it!
I've had some nice comments about my original post which has been great, I had been meaning to tell my little stories about Pat before.
He was always a 'celeb' in Brum, and lots of people knew someone that knew Pat.
He was a nice guy, and very hard working. He had a deaf son, and was absolutely devoted to his mother and family.
I guess I'm just 'banging my drum' about him now as I don't want people to forget him.
Cheers all....Pete.