Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

ADR - Additional Dialogue Recording (In Auf Pet)

General chat about all things Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

Si
Gaffer
Gaffer

ADR - Additional Dialogue Recording (In Auf Pet)

Post by Si » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:22 pm

Just in case anyone doesn't know, ADR is what actors do in post-production in TV and films. It's mostly used to make lines clear if, for example, when a scene is filmed there's background noise or the audio isn't 'clean' enough. So in a sound studio they'll lip-sync the lines their already filmed as and where needed.

It's also used for other reasons, one of the main ones being to add an extra line that wasn't there in recording to clarify the plot. This is usually done / said when an actors back is to camera or they're out of shot.

It's also used if the script has been change after recording has finished.

Anyway, I know there's some ADR in Auf Pet that is easily noticeable. And wondered if anyone had spotted any and why you think it was done.

Probably the most famous is Nev in bed with Brenda in Cowboys where he's talking about making dinner for her and Norma. The whole line is dubbed by Kevin Whatley to try and hide the fact he says "Vera" in the scene. This was of course because Vera was written into the series 2 scripts but Caroline Hutchinson was too ill to appear so the line was dubbed.

Another good one is in Bridging the Gap where they're all at Oz's 'funeral' and discussing Wayne. Then when Oz shows up he asks "Is the cockney not here?" and they all reply "no" except Bomber, who is out of shot and says "Wayne?". That one word is dubbed onto the scene by Pat Roach. I reckon this is because us Pet fans know the 'cockney' is actually Wayne but to a new audience they wouldn't know that fact. So it just helps the narrative flow a bit better.

Thanks for listening :)

Any more?

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Re: ADR - Additional Dialogue Recording (In Auf Pet)

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:25 pm

Yes.. ADR.. learned about this while Scream 4 was in edit-mode.. Mr Craven tweeted to his followers about doing some in scenes.. i thought that now and again in AWP there may have been some but not really looked out for it.. will have to start off with Series 1 again i think as i havent watched them in a while.. only been on YT now and again to check locations and lines for quotes.. Will list what i think is dubbed here when i see some..
OP

AhhBrenda
Plumber
Plumber

Post by AhhBrenda » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:49 pm

As
Last edited by AhhBrenda on Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:54 pm

Us carpenters call it 'Automated Dialogue Replacement'. I bet there is quite a lot of them to be found. As the filming crew didn't half make mistakes. Such as the rewrites with Bomber and Wayne and god knows what else. Great post by the way. By the end of the year, this website will have almost everything you can think of regarding Aufpet. :D

Si
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Si » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:02 pm

Cheers :D I reckon this site is the proper Wiki Auf Pet entry anyways :D

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:12 pm

The more I learn, the more I likes it !!!

Si
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Si » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:43 pm

Another few:

In Private Lives Wayne starts talking about the girl in the post office. But as his speech unfolds you can see the words aren't matching his mouth movements, with the fag in mouth and gesticulating with his hands. The "I always goes down to her window" bit. Now, it could be just a bit of ADR for sound quality, but then again it doesn't look like Gary Holton is saying the words as dubbed. Was the script changed I wonder? Or was it that the cig in Gary's mouth distorted the words?

Onto Love and Other Four Letter Words where Oz is on about his sandwich. The obvious bit of dubbing is Gary Holton's "Who's been at what?" line. You can hear the actual echo of Oz's "That man, me sandwich" line, even though the edit cuts in milliseconds after he says it.

The Return of the Seven Part Two. Again, Dennis has a line about his wife whilst talking to Wayne as he checks out of the motel. I can't tell what the original line is but you can tell it's dubbed with the additional word "Back" after Dennis says "Me sister phoned, I have to go back." (Or words to that effect).

Finally, i'm thinking Hasta La Vista, where Moxey's talking about a "Fresh start in life" at Ally's club but his lips seem to say "Fresh start im life". That line was dubbed, i'm thinking for clarity reasons.

They are the most obvious ones I can think of, i'm sure there are more though :)

Rodders
Carpenter
Carpenter

Post by Rodders » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:41 pm

I think when Moxy is telling Barry that Wayne could jump anything.

Musta bin Elbowed
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Musta bin Elbowed » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:06 pm

In No Sex Please, We're Brickies - when Oz and Wayne go to pick up Wayne's car from Customs their whole conversation outside ("They've probably been oot joyridin in it mun") is dubbed, quite badly too. You can even see Oz still talking as they walk into the building.

Presumably this was because of the background noise of the planes (I cant remember if the earlier scene with Dennis in the same location is also dubbed).

Breaking Away
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Breaking Away » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:38 pm

Si wrote:Just in case anyone doesn't know, ADR is what actors do in post-production in TV and films. It's mostly used to make lines clear if, for example, when a scene is filmed there's background noise or the audio isn't 'clean' enough. So in a sound studio they'll lip-sync the lines their already filmed as and where needed.

It's also used for other reasons, one of the main ones being to add an extra line that wasn't there in recording to clarify the plot. This is usually done / said when an actors back is to camera or they're out of shot.

It's also used if the script has been change after recording has finished.

That's, very interesting Barry...
I suppose you've got a book about it if I ever want to borrow it like

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:39 pm

*Slides watch up arm, shakes head*

peng50
Boozer
Boozer

Post by peng50 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:55 am

Series 1 first ever episode - When the car is broke down on the motorway and they learn
the engine has siezed you can see oz and dennis go back to the bonnet and you can hear dennis asking oz very faintly "if we get this fixed in a german garage will the insurance cover it" then it cuts to a close up of them both and the same question is asked again.

Same sorta thing with wayne and barry on the bike chasing the two air hostesses... you can hear wayne saying "you've lost them" very faintly in the background before the louder version is heard

Musta bin Elbowed
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Musta bin Elbowed » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:38 pm

peng50 wrote:Series 1 first ever episode - When the car is broke down on the motorway and they learn
the engine has siezed you can see oz and dennis go back to the bonnet and you can hear dennis asking oz very faintly "if we get this fixed in a german garage will the insurance cover it" then it cuts to a close up of them both and the same question is asked again.

Same sorta thing with wayne and barry on the bike chasing the two air hostesses... you can hear wayne saying "you've lost them" very faintly in the background before the louder version is heard
Is it definitely Dennis/Wayne talking in those whispered bits? I've heard this in other shows and often its a crewmember prompting the actor with his line :shock:

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:44 pm

What about where Ally is wishing the lads a good trip in his gaff in Darras Hall like....

Via Con Dios, Mi Amigos...

There is either a slip up, and Ally says it twice, or Barry is saying it, or a crew member, or its a cock up...

peng50
Boozer
Boozer

Post by peng50 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:10 pm

Musta bin Elbowed wrote:
peng50 wrote:Series 1 first ever episode - When the car is broke down on the motorway and they learn

Is it definitely Dennis/Wayne talking in those whispered bits? I've heard this in other shows and often its a crewmember prompting the actor with his line :shock:
It is definitely Dennis and Wayne speaking... The Wayne one can be heard quite clearly. The Dennis one is very faint because of the traffic noise, but after several careful listens, as Nev
is getting his stuff out the car Dennis and Oz are definitely talking about 'if we get this fixed in a german garage, will the insurance cover it'