Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Kevin Lloyd (aka Harry Blackburn)

General chat about all things Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

totti
Electrician
Electrician

Kevin Lloyd (aka Harry Blackburn)

Post by totti » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:04 pm

Recently finished reading Kevin Lloyd's autobiography and was pleased to see he had included a couple of pages about his time on Auf Pet.

I have copied it word for word. Hope you enjoy.

I loved doing “Auf wiedersehen; pet”. It was a marvellous series to work on. I became firm friends with Kevin Whately, Tim Healy, Timothy spall and the amazingly unpredictable Jimmy Nail. I have never come across anyone quite like Jimmy Nail before or since. He is a class actor, but he can be a shade surprising to work with. We had a scene together that I will never, ever forget. It was all about country and western music because my character was Harry Blackburn, a music-mad plumber, specially written for me by Stan Hey, who first got Jimmy to sing on television. So I suppose you could say I’ve got a lot to answer for.
It was a long scene .We were sitting on a wall in a sort of typically extended lunch break .We both had to knock back a lager as we were talking and we did six or seven takes so we were both becoming fairly lubricated.Then Jimmy suddenly said ,’I’m going to eat this whole jar of pickled onions. No kidding . I thought he was joking, so all the way through this scene he is eating pickled onions and my eyes were getting wider and wider all the time.
When we got to the end, we were supposed to go ‘cheers ‘to each other and each take a drink from a can of lager. But not Jimmy. He goes “cheers”and swigs back the jar of vinegar that the pickled onions had been in. If you watch that episode you can see that the expression of shock on my face was absolutely real. I just couldn’t believe he’d had done it –he drank it all. For me, there has never been an entrance to television quite like Jimmy Nail’s portrayal of Oz in “Auf wiedersehen, pet”.
He was just so real and it came over on screen. He would always be wandering around scratching his balls and he wasn’t going to let a little thing like television cameras stop him from doing a little thing like that. I got on with him very well, and later, when he became famous and a programme-maker himself, he asked me to be in “Crocodile shoes”, but I was locked into “The Bill” and I had to decline.
Jimmy hates producers with a passion, but he is very good to fellow actors with the one notable exception of Gary Holton, who played the cockney wide boy in “Auf Wiedesehen, pet”. The only time I ever saw Jimmy get wound up by another actor was when Gary was always late. We inevitably had to wait for him. I remember staying at the George hotel in Nottingham for one stretch of filming , and in the morning we would all have breakfast and be waiting on the bus, but there would still be no sign of Gary. We would sit there and wait for 15 minutes or half an hour. Jimmy would get really wound up by this and, all of a sudden, you’d see Gary Holton coming down the road with some bird on his arm.Then, when we arrived at the location we often found Gary Holton couldn’t say a word because he’d been up all night. Poor Gary tragically died during filming of the second series, which cast a shadow over a wonderful show.

Rodders
Carpenter
Carpenter

Re: Kevin Lloyd (aka Harry Blackburn)

Post by Rodders » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:25 pm

Nice insight, thanks.

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:04 pm

That was nice to read.. i remember Jean matthews telling me stories about that scene, saying it was one of the longest to make because they kept going wrong.. Sounds like typical Jimmy though.. and Gary for that matter..
OP

Geordie
Electrician
Electrician

Post by Geordie » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:50 pm

Thanks for the write up, that scene is always going to be funnier to me now knowing Kevin's reaction is real. When it comes to the second part I've had the impression that Gary and Jimmy got on well during the first series but not the second. I wonder if this comes down to Jimmy being more demanding on set or Gary's substance abuse that put a damper on their relationship, probably a bit of both.

totti
Electrician
Electrician

Post by totti » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:47 pm

In Jimmy's autobiography he stated that he threatened Gary with a good hiding a couple of times which made him get his act together for a couple of weeks but it would soon all go to hell again.

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:07 pm

What a joy to read, thanks ever so much for taking the time to share that with us all !!! Could not have had a better start to the week. "PHEEW! Dont forget eh, its Country and Western night down at my local !"

totti
Electrician
Electrician

Post by totti » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:24 pm

Glad you liked it. Had the book for a few years, wasn't easy to find.

phoenix
Carpenter
Carpenter

Post by phoenix » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:46 pm

I remember what Ben Roberts said About kevin lloyd.It was that he was a heavy drinker and was always drunk on the train back to Derby.

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:46 pm

Great read that, thanks for sharing........

dan slider
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by dan slider » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:17 pm

Thanks for the insight.
I never knew he had a book out, will keep my eyes out for it.
Hey thats a canny jumper man!

Si
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Si » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Being a Bill fan too I just ordered this off Amazon for a penny (plus£2.80 p&p). Looking forward to it. Thanks for the heads up, totti :)

aufpetfan84
Plasterer
Plasterer

Post by aufpetfan84 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:52 pm

phoenix wrote:I remember what Ben Roberts said About kevin lloyd.It was that he was a heavy drinker and was always drunk on the train back to Derby.
Apparently that's how his alcoholism started really sad :(

phoenix
Carpenter
Carpenter

Post by phoenix » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:59 pm

aufpetfan84 wrote:
phoenix wrote:I remember what Ben Roberts said About kevin lloyd.It was that he was a heavy drinker and was always drunk on the train back to Derby.
Apparently that's how his alcoholism started really sad :(
Ben roberts was one for a whiskey chaiser with his beer (if i remember correctly),He'd bring his dog in the pub too.I remember him comenting that he did not get enough work as an actor (In the bill i think he was refering too).He and Kevin both travelled by train.

Breaking Away
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Breaking Away » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:13 am

That was interesting. I haven't watched The Bill for 20 years or so and have only just clicked who he was on there.

agabloodydoo
Carpenter
Carpenter

Post by agabloodydoo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:57 am

Really enjoyed Harry in the show, and was the only introduced character who seemed to bond well with all the lads.

I guess without him we would never have had the excellent Cowboys episode.