Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Bad acting? What bad acting?

General chat about all things Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

Gosforth
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Bad acting? What bad acting?

Post by Gosforth » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:34 am

Another scene where Gary looks totally on another planet is when hes in the chinese with Barry in newcastle, hes eyes look totally glazed when he is telling Barry that his marriage is over. all very sad stuff.

agabloodydoo
Carpenter
Carpenter

Post by agabloodydoo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:45 am

The acting of the Sunderland supporter Dennis is talking to in the bar always makes me laugh, I think he's talking about being a riveter in the shipyards - he sounds half cut (or is trying to sound half cut).

The bird Oz pulls in Cannibals isn't the best actress either 'A Harvey Wall Banger might help'

On a another side note, have you seen the cowboy standing behind Gena McKee, his eyes are proper freaky as if he's in a trance

dan slider
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by dan slider » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:15 am

Gosforth wrote:Another scene where Gary looks totally on another planet is when hes in the chinese with Barry in newcastle, hes eyes look totally glazed when he is telling Barry that his marriage is over. all very sad stuff.
He was definately high during that scene but i think he pulls it out of the bag, he draws an emotion out of me when he tells Barry that Christa has left him. Great stuff
Hey thats a canny jumper man!

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:27 pm

I think he did his best for the situation that existed at the time.. i REALLY wish we could go back in time..
OP

Hedley Irwin
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Hedley Irwin » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:06 pm

dan slider wrote:Gina McKee has played the same style all her career, and it works!
In fairness, when Gina McKee comes on the telly, I dont concentrate much on what she's saying!
I need some slippers, and some soap

Gosforth
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Gosforth » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:51 pm

Did Gary die that night after the Snooker scene?. I know it was around that time.

Gary M
Plasterer
Plasterer

Post by Gary M » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:29 pm

I think they filmed the first part of the snooker scene on a Thursday then he was found on the Friday and they finished the scene on the following Monday I think. You can see he disappears from the scene after Dennis walks in with the plane tickets. The whole scene was so downbeat but the second part even more so, you can imagine how the cast was feeling. I wonder how it would have played out had they been in the middle of filming something a bit more lively.

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:34 pm

It would be interesting to see the original script for the snooker scene. It's very possible that they filmed more of Gary in that scene but didn't use it. Perhaps to link it to the rewrite shots.

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:27 pm

Series 3, 'Another Country' when the lads are being walked out of the hotel by the DEA, the guy who jumps out of the way...poor extra! Bad bit of extra work.

Gary M
Plasterer
Plasterer

Post by Gary M » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:53 pm

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet wrote:Aye, the bird Wayne tries to pull, who is a big actress now, starring in Notting Hill to name just one film, and more recently 'Hebburn' Gina Mckee. This must have been one of her first acting jobs, and she has improved 100% now. Still makes me cringe though when she says....'I've gotta listen to this bloke, he sounds good...' Awful, but brilliant in Notting Hill!
She's a fickle bint though, but. Only takes a cheesy line about Rawhide to get her outside, then halfway through getting some she decides she'd rather listen to a second rate performance by Big Willy O.

Boilers, eh?

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:03 pm

That scene always bugs me. Whatever action Wayne got, it was very quick. 'Quickdraw McGraw !'

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:07 pm

Dont want to appear niggly but the scene where Wayne talks to the lads about Marbella seems pretty weak, "Marbella, Marbella. You get the pick of your Euro crumpet in Marbella !" Or someit like that. It just seemed very 'read' and reading Jimmy Nail's book, I can understand why.

Linda
Brickie
Brickie

Post by Linda » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:02 pm

On the subject of Gina McKee (and the scene where she gets out of Wayne's car to go back and listen to Oz) I think she delivers that line quite badly due to the fact that Gary Holton is probably not in that car for that external scene, so she's having to deliver her line to a non-speaking stand-in.

Hence the lacking in confidence.

Geordie
Electrician
Electrician

Post by Geordie » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:29 pm

Linda wrote:On the subject of Gina McKee (and the scene where she gets out of Wayne's car to go back and listen to Oz) I think she delivers that line quite badly due to the fact that Gary Holton is probably not in that car for that external scene, so she's having to deliver her line to a non-speaking stand-in.

Hence the lacking in confidence.

There is actors who perform in front of green screens or with puppets fine, I think it's just bad acting. She is a lot better now and is great in Hebburn .

Kemal
Plumber
Plumber

Post by Kemal » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:42 pm

I used to cringe at Jimmy believe it or not, us geordies were never seen or heard on the telly much so when awp first started I was 13 and used to think Big Jims accent soondid awful on the telly. It wasnt til later in series one when I loved it, he is just so natural its impossible to believe he wasnt just playing himself.(altho I suspect he was)