Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

The Fictional Bits We Don't See.

General chat about all things Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

The Fictional Bits We Don't See.

Post by RHill » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:26 pm

Does anyone ever find that 'some' episodes from series 1 and 2 make you feel slightly short-changed about certain little details? You don't get to see it? In Private Lives, Dennis chases Oz out of the bogs as if he really wants to hurt him. A very exciting moment and the extra dramatic action is there for the viewers - but only just for a few seconds. Then it ends. Next episode everything is fine. Yet you want to know if Den had chased Oz into the hut or out of the building site. Was there a fight? How long did he not speak to him? I've never liked the fact that the viewers have to decide this. (Or I just need to get out more) Same with series 2 when the lads all chased Wayne. Oz aims his spirit level at Wayne's head. He is going to throw it. Exciting stuff. Will it hit him? If it does, will he be knocked out? Then it ends. Next episode, no action, no fighting - just an atmosphere. You sit there watching the next episode and wonder what had happened between these moments. What would of happened if the angry Barry (who was also chasing him) was the one who grabbed Wayne first? Would Barry just smile at Wayne and then run back towards the other lads? Yes we know what scary Neville would of done to Wayne. I sometimes think that the most exciting bits are not shown and that we have to decide their fate. I would of loved to have seen the actual scene where Arthur catches Wayne giving his daughter one. But you don't see that either. You always have to imagine it. What did Wayne say when he walked in? "Bleeding Nora!" What did Arthur say? "??f**!!**!" Did Arthur hear her daughter before he found her? Not been crude here guys but Arthur's face expression would of been brilliant to see. But we were only allowed to imagine it.

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Re: The Fictional Bits We Don't See.

Post by Tracy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:38 pm

I love it the way it is. Leaving those scenes to the imagination makes it all the more special. It takes the 'soap opera' out of it. When Joy says to Oz, "What garage ?", the best place for the next scene to take place is in our heads. Had we seen any of it on screen, it would rob us of the magic ! Just my opinion like. Wheres that bloody room service ?

The Magnificent 7
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by The Magnificent 7 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:42 pm

RHill wrote:Does anyone ever find that 'some' episodes from series 1 and 2 make you feel slightly short-changed about certain little details? You don't get to see it? In Private Lives, Dennis chases Oz out of the bogs as if he really wants to hurt him. A very exciting moment and the extra dramatic action is there for the viewers - but only just for a few seconds. Then it ends. Next episode everything is fine. Yet you want to know if Den had chased Oz into the hut or out of the building site. Was there a fight? How long did he not speak to him? I've never liked the fact that the viewers have to decide this. (Or I just need to get out more) Same with series 2 when the lads all chased Wayne. Oz aims his spirit level at Wayne's head. He is going to throw it. Exciting stuff. Will it hit him? If it does, will he be knocked out? Then it ends. Next episode, no action, no fighting - just an atmosphere. You sit there watching the next episode and wonder what had happened between these moments. What would of happened if the angry Barry (who was also chasing him) was the one who grabbed Wayne first? Would Barry just smile at Wayne and then run back towards the other lads? Yes we know what scary Neville would of done to Wayne. I sometimes think that the most exciting bits are not shown and that we have to decide their fate. I would of loved to have seen the actual scene where Arthur catches Wayne giving his daughter one. But you don't see that either. You always have to imagine it. What did Wayne say when he walked in? "Bleeding Nora!" What did Arthur say? "??f**!!**!" Did Arthur hear her daughter before he found her? Not been crude here guys but Arthur's face expression would of been brilliant to see. But we were only allowed to imagine it.
"That crude fella with the red face"
"RHill"
"I don't know what his name is"

The Magnificent 7
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by The Magnificent 7 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:55 pm

Yeah that scene in Series 2 where Wayne gets the lads kicked out of the Barley Mow has always had me wondering, did they ever catch him? Also wasn't it a dead end towards where Wayne was running so what did he do?

We never see the fight between Oz and the German in the bar, did any of the lads jump in to help Oz?

We never saw Oz and Eddie Huggins in the Portland, "What a skinful".

How did Oz and Barry get to the police station in Another Country? Did the gamekeeper have to call the police to arrest them or did they go quietly? Although I can't see Oz going quietly.

Good idea for a thread.

Breaking Away
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Breaking Away » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:21 pm

The Magnificent 7 wrote:
RHill wrote:Does anyone ever find that 'some' episodes from series 1 and 2 make you feel slightly short-changed about certain little details? You don't get to see it? In Private Lives, Dennis chases Oz out of the bogs as if he really wants to hurt him. A very exciting moment and the extra dramatic action is there for the viewers - but only just for a few seconds. Then it ends. Next episode everything is fine. Yet you want to know if Den had chased Oz into the hut or out of the building site. Was there a fight? How long did he not speak to him? I've never liked the fact that the viewers have to decide this. (Or I just need to get out more) Same with series 2 when the lads all chased Wayne. Oz aims his spirit level at Wayne's head. He is going to throw it. Exciting stuff. Will it hit him? If it does, will he be knocked out? Then it ends. Next episode, no action, no fighting - just an atmosphere. You sit there watching the next episode and wonder what had happened between these moments. What would of happened if the angry Barry (who was also chasing him) was the one who grabbed Wayne first? Would Barry just smile at Wayne and then run back towards the other lads? Yes we know what scary Neville would of done to Wayne. I sometimes think that the most exciting bits are not shown and that we have to decide their fate. I would of loved to have seen the actual scene where Arthur catches Wayne giving his daughter one. But you don't see that either. You always have to imagine it. What did Wayne say when he walked in? "Bleeding Nora!" What did Arthur say? "??f**!!**!" Did Arthur hear her daughter before he found her? Not been crude here guys but Arthur's face expression would of been brilliant to see. But we were only allowed to imagine it.
"That crude fella with the red face"
"RHill"
"I don't know what his name is"

Aye, he's called RHill

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:26 pm

haha

That is a great one yes. How did the gamekeeper get them to the station? They are not going to hang around for the police car to turn up. Great example that!

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:22 am

Tracy wrote:I love it the way it is. Leaving those scenes to the imagination makes it all the more special. It takes the 'soap opera' out of it. When Joy says to Oz, "What garage ?", the best place for the next scene to take place is in our heads. Had we seen any of it on screen, it would rob us of the magic ! Just my opinion like. Wheres that bloody room service ?
I agree, thinking what you said like. Good point about taking the soap opera out of it. Yes I think you've hit the nail right on the head bonny lad. :)

Breaking Away
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Breaking Away » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:45 am

Tracy wrote:I love it the way it is. Leaving those scenes to the imagination makes it all the more special. It takes the 'soap opera' out of it. When Joy says to Oz, "What garage ?", the best place for the next scene to take place is in our heads. Had we seen any of it on screen, it would rob us of the magic ! Just my opinion like. Wheres that bloody room service ?
Aye, I think we already see enough of Oz's bare arse without seeing it going for a dive in the penalty box

peng50
Boozer
Boozer

Post by peng50 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:13 am

The most important unanswered question of all... How many fish did Bomber catch when he
went with the Erics ???

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am

Or, was 'fishin' code for trawling massage parlours ?!

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:42 am

It's amazing how people watching liked Bomber, because he was a family man, but nailed anything that moved!

AlreetPal
Legal Advisor
Legal Advisor

Post by AlreetPal » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:57 am

Come on my dear. You belongs to Bomber. :D
Shut ya yak will ya man, you snivelling little git.

We're sophisticated blokes us, ya know.

HudPitch
Brickie
Brickie

Post by HudPitch » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:26 pm

I always fancied watching the darts match with the army lads .....

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:59 pm

I wonder if that is one of the special writing techniques from Ian, Dick and Stan? To never write scenes (or extend them) that will make the viewers have more questions than answers? To purposely leave them out and move on. Is it that what makes them such great writers? :geek:

The Magnificent 7
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by The Magnificent 7 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:11 pm

I think that's the magic yes, leaving some scenes to the imagination is sometimes better. We can interpret the scenes the way we like and how we think they were played out off screen. Of course they're brilliant writers which is being proven as we are here dissecting their work 30 years on.