Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Aloe Goodbye

A Place for the fans versions of AWP

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

936trt
Boozer
Boozer

Re: Aloe Goodbye

Post by 936trt » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:20 am

Barry is feeling so much better that he decides to visit the lads on with the rebuild at Uncle Percy's.

At the site ,as he gets out of an old 4x4 he hears Oz shout " Where's the Bently Barry?"

Barry: " It's being valeted you nerd.Now then lads time for a cup of tea?"

Wyman: " Barry man how are you ,long time no see?"

Barry: " Very true young'un but feeling a lot better these last few days .How's progress on the house?"

Wyman:" I have the drawings now from Chris's architect mate and we've made a start on the sitting room.But I had a text message from Mel ,you know the girl I met in Arizona, and she's coming over next week so now we need to pull out the stops. "

Oz: " I reckon we should put all our effort into finishing two or three rooms so at least there'll be somewhere for her to stay. What you reckon Den?"

Dennis: " For once Oz you 're making sense.The young'un wants to make an impression on this lass and not put her in an hotel.Mind we're hard pressed to get the brick and blockwork done. There's not a bricky to be had round here after all that weather damage."

Barry: " I know a bricky who's just sitting around right now."

Wyman: " What're you thinking Barry?"

Barry: " I happen to know that Nev is climbing the walls since his mother-in-law arrived."

Wyman: "Let's ask him,I'll pay his airfare."

Oz: " Don't bother kiddah just get Barry to send the company chopper."

Wyman: " You've just given me an idea Oz."

In the Hope household Nev has just explained to Pru about his text message from Wyman.

Neville: " It sounds like a real emergency pet,and you said you wanted me out from under your feet.Anyway you and your mam can hold the fort here can't you?"

Pru was laughing and waving him goodbye." Neville I think the break would do you good ,too much paternity leave can be a bad thing. Say hello to the lads and let me know how Barry looks.What time is Chris picking you up?"

Neville: " Two oclock this afternoon."

Chris explained to Nev on their way to the site from the airport that he still had concerns for Barry's welfare.

Chris:" As I think Pru will have explained while we did some work for the JDF Detlef was our man on the ground so to speak for part of the operation. If he hadn't been so thorough and your wife hadn't been so observant we wouldn't have had the result.However there are still some aspects unexplained.I know when Barry's accountant was picked up since Detlefs colleagues told us and that was before Barry ended up in hospital.We assumed Dolores' substitute was down to Trevor. Now I'm not so sure."

Neville: " If you are saying someone else set him up I have to ask who the hell would want to do such a thing?"

Chris: " The original police report describes how both Mr and Mrs Taylor were mentioned.It points to someone with a dislike for them both. Another fact has just emerged from the post mortem on the body recovered from the attack on Jeffrey Grainger.It seems we were misled.The corpse was made to look like a Triad. He was however an unfortunate low level operative from a local gang."

Neville: " This just gets more mysterious.Why would someone want to do that?"

Chris: " The latest thinking this was to throw us off the scent.The DEA have intel that leads them to think there is a Yakuza interest .A sudden burst of e mail activity coinciding with a report that the worth of the spoil heaps was re evaluated. Your friend Moxey spoke to Cal a few days back and said he had been told some guys had been seen taking samples at three different locations.We believed we were the only ones who knew that certain parts of the spoil are worth up to ten times the original estimate.It looks like some one is trying to pinpoint where to look."

Neville: " How the hell did they find out?"

Chris: "I'm glad that's not my problem.There is a serious leak .I suspect Tishenko knew,and maybe Graingers kidnappers thought he knew ,the poor man didn't .So we conclude maybe the kidnappers were Japanese not Chinese."

Neville: " I'm really glad I got out of this spy business. The time I spent working for Heather was one of the worst experiences in my life.I dread to think what she's going through at the moment."

Chris: " She seems to have gone to ground but when the lads checked Graingers flat last week their bugs had been removed. Since it wasn't our lot we assume it was the opposition.For obvious reasons I haven't included Gary in the latest news but we were asked to help out the JDF and resume surveillance on Graingers haunts.I guess they were thinking we may catch sight of Heather. We didn't ,but we did get a glimpse of a new tenant. This chap is very careful and seems to know where all the cctv is.Why is he so camera shy?"

Neville: " Let's have a look Chris. So this fella is living in the same apartments as Grainger?"

Chris: " He is .In fact he has the penthouse.A bit reclusive all we know is he works for a bank .In the far East."

Neville is still looking at a blurry photo of a shadowy figure walking away from the camera.

Neville: "Can I keep this Chris, I have a feeling there is something familiar about him."

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:46 am

Oh dear, this will be good. Or not.

936trt
Boozer
Boozer

Post by 936trt » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:25 pm

Chris wanders over to chat with Barry who is carrying a coil of cable and a handful of sockets.

Chris: " So Barry they got you in harness pretty quickly?"

Barry: "Indeed but frankly this is like therapy for me Chris. After that stay in hospital and all the hassle with the business it's good to have something like this to do.I can't help thinking about it though.The UK end still isn't sorted out and I put a lot of trust in Trevor.Why would he want to do this to me and my family?"

Den: " Barry man take it easy there's nowt we can do at the minute."

Chris: " Actually Barry maybe I can clear up part of this. I've just been telling Neville on the way over we got some new info that maybe gets your old accountant off the hook.Trevor was under lock and key so to speak when this Dolores character came on the scene so there's a every chance he wasn't directly responsible."

Barry: " But if it wasn't him then who could it be?"

Chris: " We asked the same question and then there was another bit of intel from our US friends that made us think again .It turns out the Triad fished out of the wreckage wasn't a Triad at all.They believe maybe the new player in this game is Yakuza and they were trying to put us off the scent. Mind this is all based on their cyberspace activity but it is linked to the spoil heaps over there." He pointed in the general direction behind the wreckage of the aloe plant.

Barry: " Bloody hell Chris I can't keep up with all this, if it's supposed to make me feel better it's not working.My business is still down the pan,the authorities still think I'm persona non grata and won't allow the release of the insurance money for the factory refurb .The bastards are grinding me down ,the BASTARDS are GRINDING ME DOWN."

Den:" Barry lad take it easy." Dennis put an arm around Barry and tried to calm him down." It will all be ok in the end mate I know it's a bugger but it just takes time."

Oz: " Aye Barry now's the time to take a holiday,tell you what take your lass on the Orient Express again."

Neville: " THAT'S IT, bloody hell ,that's it, I knew I recognised that bugger in the photo, it was just the set of the shoulders. Mind I'd seen plenty of him before that trip."

Chris: " What are you saying Nev,you know the identity of the man in the photo?"

Neville: " I do Chris, I'd put money on it being Tarquin bloody Pierce. Thinking about it, I know he has the perfect motive to want the Taylors in the shite after his plan to ransom Barry backfired and he was kidnapped himself. I know it's a a few years back but him turning up when there's a smell of big bucks from the REE is more than a coincidence.I bet your lads could soon find out where he's been these last few years."

Chris: " Already on it mate."

When Chris finished his call to Kenny he arranged for an encrypted message to go to his US contacts to check on one Tarquin Pearce.He also noted a text message from Detlef asking if he would be interested in having his new centre based in Miami.

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:10 am

Miami Vice ?! Or as they say in Joreman, Adelvice !

936trt
Boozer
Boozer

Post by 936trt » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:50 am

Barry has calmed down and started fitting sockets where he can.

Barry: " Wyman do you want the generator linked up to the shelter like before ?"

Wyman: " Yes ,just so it kicks in like if we lose the mains ?"

Barry: " Yes it's just when I checked the shelter the wiring wasn't in the right kind of conduit. Put it on your list when you go into town.I'll just bash on with the other rooms.I have to ask, what the hell is that smell.Was the septic tank damaged Wyman?"

Wyman: " No ,I know it's old but it's always been ok,it's cleaned out on contract.I know what you mean though.I'll check down at the factory site ,it's coming from that direction."

Chris has contacted Detlef about his text message.

Chris: " I agree with you about Miami as a choice. Can you tell me what influenced your decision?"

Detlef: " You told me about your ideas for South America ,and Miami is perfect . The business infrastructure we would need is already in place.It is also the home of the Centre for Free Trade . Everything we do will be catered for there. It's a good jumping off point for the Caribbean and Latin America in general and the climate is good. Better than Europe. " They both laughed." I also have to say the fashion industry is huge in Miami and would be a big plus for Debbie."

Chris: " You must be very happy at the success she's made? "

Detlef: " I am and since you raised that subject I need to say something about it if that's ok?"

Chris: " Of course , Detlef please ,go ahead."

Detlef: " We both owe you a lot and don't want to appear ungrateful but I know Debbie needs to feel that she's proved to herself she can hack it. We all know that the fashion business can be a can of worms but can you and I agree that if and only if ,we find something that needs a big push
will she ask for your help?"

Chris: " Certainly .I absolutely understand.

Wyman drew a blank at the aloe site but decided to follow his nose and drive a bit further .He noticed the aloes were showing signs of yellowing the further he drove. A couple of miles on the smell was stronger and seemed to come from something like a small refinery surrounded by portable buildings and stacks of drums. He parked the car and walked to what looked like an office.It was deserted but as he turned to leave someone fell in heap in front of him. " Hi Wyman that was lucky." It was Moxey's Mescalero friend Geronimo.

Wyman: " You must have seen this guy coming up behind me, that was quick thinking ,thanks Gerry.Who is he ?"

Gerry: " No idea. But I've been watching.There were lots of them few days back.They started work mixing drums of chemicals with the sand and putting it into what they call the reactor.I don't think it worked ,a lot of stuff was spilled,that's when most of them cleared off .I was going to tell Moxey. See the land slopes down there, toward the aloes."

936trt
Boozer
Boozer

Post by 936trt » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:50 pm

Debbie is telling Detlef about a recent conversation she had with Vicki.

Debbie:" I don't really want to drop this on my dad but what should I do pet?"

Detlef:" Just to be clear she said Kenny had a long chat with Ally Fraser who told him he knew Brenda was newly married from a newspaper article referring to her involvement with Bridgenorth on Teesside. He implied the new husband might be a soft touch."

Debbie: " Yes, and he also knows that a certain German copper left the force for a job in the private sector.That has to be you , hasn't it?"

Detlef: " I don't know Debbie .If he knows Vicki is relaying Kenny's conversations this could just be noise."

Debbie: " I think it's for real.The other part was when he asked if Kenny wanted a piece of the action in Jamaica.Kenny turned him down when he found out the Japanese were involved.Kenny's brother suffered at the hands of the Japs in WW2; he wants nothing to do with them. He had told Vicki this before, she knows it's true."

Detlef: "From this she believes Ally is involved with the Yakuza?"

Debbie: " Yes.He told Kenny he thought he would go to Miami and, while checking on other business holdings there ,have a meeting with the guy who is currently monitoring their Jamaican investment.As soon as he mentioned rare earth I was sure it had to be Chrissy's ."

Detlef: " There are no other REE projects.It has to be Chrissy's.I still don't understand why Fraser is getting involved and especially at this stage, and who is this guy monitoring their investment?"

Debbie: " Fraser is interested for only one reason.The money. It's huge and just got bigger, but I've been told there have been problems with the refining and more finance is needed. He happens to be the one who first heard about it and has cash available. Who do you think he is planning to see?"

Detlef: " A few weeks ago I might have said Jeffrey Grainger but now we here a new shareholder has joined the consortium we might have to put Tarquin Pierce in the picture."

936trt
Boozer
Boozer

Post by 936trt » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:31 pm

Detlef related his last conversation with Debbie to a very attentive Dennis.

Dennis: " So you reckon Fraser is really involved?"

Detlef: " After his premature release we know he spent a long time rebuilding the empire .We must not underestimate him. He has a lot of clout in the underworld and I can believe he has such Japanese contacts. Bear in mind also he was able to trace my movements and learn I had left Border Control."

Dennis: " Aye I get all that but what's the connection to Chrissy and the Consortium?"

Detlef: " My best guess would be Grainger was forced into letting someone get a shareholding either in the Wharfedale group or maybe directly in the Consortium.This would be the classic Yakusa move to get some control.Chris has told me they do it all over the world not just in Japan."

Dennis: "But we know it can't be a legit operation,they're going to milk it somehow?"

Detlef: " Yes, absolutely.They do it by blackmail either at the company level or by leaning on the directors. Because they have equity it is almost impossible, and dangerous, to get rid of them."

Dennis: " Why man I still cannot get this round my head. It 's not like the Ally Fraser I remember."

Detlef: " He must be a very confident man Dennis.The Yakusa don't suffer fools gladly and definitely don't take prisoners.I am wondering if Tarquin Pierce is their man on the ground,protecting their investment?"

Dennis: " Still can't get over it, Ally bloody Fraser from Tyneside one arm bandit king to Blofeld."

Over at uncle Percy's site Moxey is on second fix while Barry is finishing first fix on the kitchen and dining area.

Wyman: " Now then Mox how's it going?"

Moxey: " Yeah,just done plastering everywhere but the kitchen.I'll get on to that when Barry's finished. The lads have taken a trip to look at where the smell's coming from.All the blockwork is done up to where the garage used to be and they made short work of all the rooms you asked for."

Wyman: " I told the lads what Gerry said,I suppose you got no joy when you tried Miguel again?"

Moxey:" Nah.They don't have enough boots on the ground, and you can't rule out someone turning a blind eye either."

Wyman: " Gerry sees a plenty from his trailer and reckons there's a lot of to-ings and fro-ings recently. I don't want to panic anyone just yet but did you tell Chrissy what happened the other day?"

Moxey: "Nah. I thought I'll wait until we hear something definite from Kingston or from Detlef. Mind you if the aloes really have had it then Barry will up sticks and Chrissy will definitely know all about it."

Wyman: " I'm not surprised .With what he's paying that guy in Marseilles the business will be screwed before long .If Barry and his family move on ....."

Moxey: But Tatiana is dead set on the Chrysalis job isn't she?"

Wyman: " Aye but where does that leave Barry?"

Moxey: " You know as much as me kiddah. Anyway are we still going to sleep on site after what Geronimo said ?"

Jeffrey Graingers' PA at the Wharfedale Group, Yvonne is in touch with Gary Turnbull.

Yvonne: " Mr Turnbull I hope you are well and enjoying your semi-retirement?"

Gary: " Thank you for asking Yvonne .There has been a seamless transition ."

Yvonne: " I understand that you intend to visit Mr Grainger in Miami?"

Gary: " Yes ,I plan to fly over tomorrow."

Yvonne: " Indeed,however I thought it prudent to apprise you Mr Grainger left the hospital this morning and will recuperate with friends in Miami until his return to Jamaica week after next."

Gary: " Thankyou for the heads up.I trust the appropriate security has been initiated?"

Yvonne: " Absolutely. I believe the Consortium have taken on that responsibilty after the very poor showing by the last contractors.The new arrangement is with the CWN Group."

Gary: " That is good news .I have nothing but the greatest admiration for them.You will let me know Jeffrey's address ?"

Yvonne:" Indeed I will email as soon as I put down the 'phone."

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:43 pm

Dennis, "... I still cannot get this round my head." Haha, this is a 'whip it round' moment ! :lol:

936trt
Boozer
Boozer

Post by 936trt » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:28 pm

Gary had taken a hire car from the airport .The address he was given by Yvonne was almost an hour's drive .Being a canny Scot the idea of a taxi was never on the cards.He would have preferred to use sat nav but had been advised it was not a good idea.If he had been tailed they had done a good job of it. As he drew up outside the gates to Jeffrey's hideaway he gave a slow shake of the head " So crime doesn't pay they say. I'm not so sure ."
He went up to the gates and pressed a button for reception , a voice asked for id." My name is Gary Turnbull .I have an appointment with Jeffrey Grainger." At that the gates began to open slowly.Gary jumped back into the car and set off up the drive.
The residence was huge even by Miami standards,but his biggest surprise was being greeted by Heather Lane.

Chrissy is talking to Cal .

Chrissy: " Hi Cal I guess Chris has already told you we have problems over at the site.?"

Cal: " Yes he said Moxey tried but the police can't or won't help with the intruders and some kind of chemical plant has been set up which has done for the aloe crop?"

Chrissy: " Exactly. Have you been informed of any consortium activity we should have expected,because I know nothing about it?"

Cal: " I have not .However you will be aware of a change in shareholding in the consortium brought about by a new board member of the Wharfedale Group?"

Chrissy: " I did but has that got anything to do with our problem?"

Cal: " I'm sure it has.They invoked their right to push through an exploratory project that required a re assessment of the REE concentration.When I queried this ,on your behalf, I learned that the heaps are of variable composition, but all have greater than expected concentrations of certain REE than previously determined and ,significantly, the weathering has caused some material to have sedimented and travelled below ground,unfortunately toward the aloe plantations."

Chrissy: " Do you believe this Cal?"

Cal:" Some of it may well be true but they have in my opinion acted hastily and are liable to face a huge bill for damage when you sue for the loss of the crop and subsequent earnings via Mr Taylors downstream activities."

Chrissy: " You have been busy Cal."

Cal: " I had to try to pre empt their next step but I may have been too late.I expect the earth moving plant will be all over your late uncles estate. Perhaps they believe they will be successful in frightening the present incumbents away .My informants tell me some of this crew have a reputation as bully boys."

The lads are settling down for a well earned nights rest. Nev,Oz and Dennis are sharing the newly refurbished ground floor accommodation while Moxey, Barry and Wyman have taken their turn in the storm shelter .According to Barry it's a mixed blessing since though their refrigerator is bigger the bathroom facilities are inferior. Moxey and Wyman were unanimous when asked .They prefer to be wet on the inside.
Nev is awakened by something ,looks around the room and all he can see is a little red light that travels across his bed along the wall and stops at the door to the adjacent bedroom.He gets up and creeps over to wake Dennis who said earlier he wanted to enjoy having a double bed to himself "just for a change you know?"

Nev: " Den ,Den ,wake up man." Dennis grunted and opened his eyes to see Nev's worried expression.

Dennis: " What's up Nev?"

Nev: "We have to get out,some bugger is outside with a gun I'm sure.I have seen a red laser light coming through the window. Let's wake Oz."

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:33 pm

Mr Taylor's downstream activities. Watchout for those feranomes !!!

936trt
Boozer
Boozer

Post by 936trt » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:21 pm

Dennis: " Bloody hell Nev let me get me shoes on man."

Neville: " Bugger. I can't see Oz. Where the hell is he?"

Dennis: " Aye the beds empty . Mebbe he's gan to pee? Hey I can hear something outside."

Neville: " Quiet Den,they'll hear us."

Dennis: " Who?"

Neville: " Those buggers with guns.I told you I saw a red light just like the SAS."

Dennis: " Red light? Bollocks. Anyway they're not the only ones with a gun.Let's go bonny lad."

They crept forward heading to the entrance of the storm shelter making as little noise as possible. Nev saw the door was open and lights on inside. He put his hand on Den's shoulder and whispered .

" There's no one there Den, let's try outside."

Nev opened the door and could see a light near the motor home and heard raised voices. Someone was shouting, he recognised Oz's unmistakeable voice." Take that you slanty eyed git." A shot rang out and then another followed by the sound of breaking glass and another yell.Someone was running in their direction ,the figure stopped and turned to look behind him , clearly aiming a rifle at his pursuers.

Dennis shouted " Put the gun down." The gunman turned back to face Den levelling the weapon at him. Den already aiming his hand gun ,fired once .His assailant yelped ,clutching his shoulder and hit the ground dropping the gun in the process. Nev jumped on top of him and kicked the rifle away." Well well Charlie Chan and where do you think you're off to ? "

They could hear the sound of a car driving off in low gear,engine racing and Barry shining a high powered torch at the receding 4x4. When it disappeared he started flashing the light around the motor home.

Barry: " Moxey, Moxey where are you? Wyman have you seen Moxey?"

Wyman: " Nah the last time I saw him he was sticking a knife in the guy who jumped you. What a bloody night mate."

Moxey: " Ok Barry I was just making sure the guy Oz decked was tied up tight.He's going to have a headache,that two inch pipe makes a real impression."

Oz: " Dear me what a night eh?"

Dennis: "Are you all ok ?"

Wyman: " I think so Den, I reckon there were six,three just left in the 4x4 and Oz decked one , Moxey got another."

Dennis: " We have another here ,he was running from you and aimed a rifle at us.Bloody Norah young'un did your mam pick those pyjamas?"

Wyman: " Cheeky sod." He was interrupted by Barry.

Barry: " So you two buggers have woken up at last?"

Nev: " What do you mean by that lad?"

Dennis: " Now then lads we're all on edge we came as soon as we heard the commotion.Does anyone know who they are. The one I shot is definitely oriental?"

Wyman: " I thought the one Oz whacked was Chinese looking."

Oz: " The other three shot off in the direction of the spoil heaps so I guess they must be some of the bully boys that Chrissy told us about."

Dennis: "So why are they targetting us?"

Wyman: " I was thinking the same thing Den. I mean we all want the heaps to make money don't we?"

Neville: " The latest info is that some new shareholders are wanting a quicker payout and as this area has more of the really expensive metals they want to get rid of the aloe farm and naturally the people working it."

Oz:" Isn't there enough cash in the heaps?"

Nev: " Aye there is ,millions, but over the years more of the really expensive stuff has leached down under the aloe farm and that's what they want ,and they want it now."

Dennis: " So it's goodbye aloe then?"

Barry : " Very droll Dennis ,but you are correct.It's curtains for my business anyway now that the aloes are dying I knew buying from Marseilles was a temporary fix. However I need to find something in the meantime to keep body and soul together."

936trt
Boozer
Boozer

Post by 936trt » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:59 pm

As soon as Gary got out of the car the high humidity hit him .By the time Heather came to the door he felt soaking wet. He was uncomfortable and probably looked it.

Heather: " I can understand your surprise Gary .Come in, please ."

Gary: " Surprise ! Christ Heather what do you think. I am supposed to be meeting with Jeffrey Grainger. But then I suppose you and he...." He didn't finish the sentence.Heathers face began to crumple but she recovered her poise.

Heather: "You should come in .Jeffrey is on the terrace." She turned and closed the door. Gary immediately felt better as the air conditioning must have been turned up." I don't suppose there is any point in trying to explain recent events?"
Gary remained silent as they progressed through some double doors passing a very expensive looking display of jade ornaments .As they walked through the library he replied.

" You must be aware that the photographic evidence we were given leaves little to the imagination regarding your relationship with Grainger.I was surprised and I was hurt .I thought I knew you better." Heather stopped and took his hand again ,and looked him in the eye.

Heather: " I can explain it all if you will let me ,if you want me to."

Gary looked back at her and made no attempt to conceal the pain he was feeling or to remove his hand .
Gary: " Are you going to tell me I got it all wrong,that this was an act,that you and Grainger are not complicit with the Russians, that you and he...?" He didn't finish the sentence .Heather hadn't seen him like this before.

Heather: " I couldn't tell anyone what I was doing, even Jeffrey. It had to look like I had gone rogue otherwise we would never be able to flush out the bad guys." Gary was desperate to believe her and trying to recover his composure at the same time.The sound of Heathers heels on the parquet floor has alerted Jeffrey to their approach.

Grainger: " Hello Gary come through and have a coffee ,or something stronger if you wish."

He was on a recliner, one leg outstretched and waved Gary over to join him which is when Gary had his second surprise that day. Two figures rose to greet him .Christopher Winston Norris grinning all over his face at Gary's expression, and an oriental gentleman that Gary hadn't seen before.

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:45 am

Parquet floor. Bastard tiles ?

936trt
Boozer
Boozer

Post by 936trt » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:18 pm

Gary shook hands with Chris ." How are you Gary, I guess you'll have a list of questions?"

Gary: " Indeed and the first is how long have you collected jade? No Chris I'm joking.I take it you are the friend mentioned by Yvonne ?"

Gary: " Yes.But first my manners .I must introduce another friend Akio. Gary Turnbull this is Akio Takahashi. Akio this is Gary who you now know is our friend who works, sorry worked ,at OED in the British Embassy in Cuba."

Akio bowed slightly from the waist and offered Gary his card.Gary did the same .

Akio: " Gary I am pleased to meet you.Chris has given me a quick rundown on your part in the recent security operations. I believe that some years ago we may have met ."

Gary: "Well I was stationed in Japan for about six months before moving to Havana but that was a long time ago.I'm sorry but I don't recall meeting you." He turned as he felt Chris put an arm on his shoulder.

Chris: " You must say hello to our reluctant hero."

Gary: " I am happy to see you making a speedy recovery old man."

Jeffrey: " Well apparently this is the number one place for reconstructive surgery .New teeth ,facial job and some work on my fingers. The knee will take a little longer. Tell me Gary am I still persona non grata with your chaps?"

Gary:" What do you mean Jeffrey , still,you have always been persona non grata." They all laughed, including Heather.

Chris: " Let us sit .It's easier for Jeffrey ,he doesn't have to continually look up at us."

Jeffrey: " Ouch! I should be grateful you didn't say "look up to us" dear boy."

Heather poured coffee for herself and Gary and looked across at Chris who returned her look with a nod of assent.

Chris: "I will try to pre empt some of your questions Gary by giving you an idea of what has been going within CWN recently. During the problems caused by Mr and Mrs Ortiz and friend Kadi,it was forgivable that the police on Cuba and Jamaica assumed all our difficulties were attributable to them.That was not and is not true.Having been able to eliminate a large part of the illicit goings on by virtue of the listening devices placed by Pru and Neville we focussed our attention elsewhere. I should point out we, that is I was asked shortly after Roaul was hospitalised,if I would use CWN facilities to investigate the infiltration of our Embassies in the Caribbean."

Gary: " Are you saying the intelligence community came to you?"

Chris: " Don't act so surprised Gary,we have been helping out so to speak off and on for years."

Gary: " Sorry Chris I 've never encountered such a situation since I've been in Cuba."

Chris: " I must also say it was policy that you and everyone else outside the immediate team were excluded.There was until recently an unprecedented loss of intel from the embassy,and apparently not only the Brits.Our friends at DEA and FBI let us know it is more widespread than even they had thought.Someone came up with the idea of putting an operative out in the field with a story leaked about treachery and double dealing in the hope said operative would be approached to help promote further infiltration."

Gary: " This is where Heather came in?"

Chris: " Yes. As a consequence of the subterfuge Jeffrey was waylaid on his way back from a meeting with his Russian friend.Their embassy had been infiltrated and Tishenko's deal with Jeffrey was known .We know now the REE business attracts a lot of very nasty people. So the search for the source of the infiltration is now clouded by the criminal activity around the rare earth business on Jamaica."

Gary: " So where does the story about Triads come from?"

Akio: " If I may Chris.Chris contacted me when he heard that the Japanese Embassy was affected ,we collaborated from the point we discovered that Mr Grainger had been coerced into allowing a purchase of shares in the Wharfedale group. The attempt to disguise one of the casualties with tattoos rang a few alarm bells and that's what led us ,indirectly to finding there was a Yakusa involvement. As Chris and others have pointed out this part of the world is an ideal centre for accessing central and South America as well as the USA. Anyone with up-to-the-minute intel could be in a very lucrative position.They can either market the intel directly or as in the case of REE get a bigger bite by getting their hands dirty."

Gary: " But did someone really suspect the OED was involved.Why else exclude us from your plan?"

Heather: " I think I can answer that one Akio. With our colleagues from the FBI we had been monitoring certain radio transmissions and it was getting us nowhere. The only reproducible part we could see in Havana, was an increase in chatter every Friday. When I mentioned this to our FBI contact he found the same thing.Long story short we discovered there was a pizza delivery to both embassies on Fridays. Something in the pizza ,or more likely the container,had a tiny device that allowed mobile 'phones to be activated for as long as the wrapping or cardboard was on the premises. I am reliably informed this means anyone can listen in to conversations that take place without being detected by the normal security sweeps. We observed one of our OED staff taking delivery and then taking selected pizzas to the offices for further distribution.We recovered his discarded pizza box and had our guys analyse it.It was innocent, unlike the boxes from the embassy offices which contained what our guys call tiles within the cardboard which are the cunning bits that allow the 'phones to be activated."

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:34 pm

"... a nod of assent." Heather is Our Lady of Assention !
"... tiles within the cardboard." I told you they were bastard tiles ! :twisted: