Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

What Happened?

Read fans memories and view pictures from the 2013 Convention.

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

What Happened?

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:24 pm

After the Convention in 2013, I grew a huge hatred for the show after all that had happened.
I found it very difficult to come to terms with what we had achieved, what had happened and that it was over.

They always say the anticipation of something happening is better than than the actual thing, well it wasn't, but the aftermath was horrible. I did get quite depressed after the Convention, I couldn't talk about it, I couldn't watch Pet and even the thought of being involved with it again was very hard to comprehend.

I am not sure how it was for anyone else, and if they felt the same way. I guess after reading Rhills comments in the post about being ready to watch it again, and how for him an era is over, it made me think back and get this off my chest.

It took me a few months to get back into it, and before that time I was really forcing myself to get involved with the site and everything else. Looking back now, I am not really sure why I felt like that and why it happened, because Auf Wiedersehen, Pet is such a massive part of my life for many reasons, that I truly feel gifted for doing what I do and making many people happy.

I am not a show off, I am a very quiet and private person, and I am sure not looking for sympathy or for anyone to pat me on the back and say 'well done Lee etc'.

Today I feel very privileged for what we did that weekend, who we met and how we became friends. I do hope one day we can all get together for the same reason and not only celebrate how great Auf Wiedersehen, Pet is and what it stands for, but to just see you lot again....even you Tim.

This is always something I have always wanted to 'get off me chest', because I know a lot of fans on Social Media just think what we do is a 'piece of piss', and it isn't. We pride ourselves in what we do, Myself , Tim and Andy and it takes a lot of hard work to knock out what we do.

Danke.

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Re: What Happened?

Post by Tracy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:17 pm

PCD. Post Convention Depression. Took a lot of guts to share that. As the Medicine Man said to Walter White, "Its not for sale !" Hope it helps ! :lol:

Breaking Away
Legal Advisor
Legal Advisor

Post by Breaking Away » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:22 pm

Hey Lee. The convention was amazing. It was everything I hoped it would be. The efforts put into by the people involved was enormous and I hope you know how much it was appreciated. The same goes for the site. I'm addicted to the forum and check it every few hours.
I was on a big high for the convention weekend, and a big low afterwards. I remember talking to you in Keswick a couple of days.
Not long after coming home my marriage went tits up and I was focused on other things. AWP took a back seat. I thought in my hour of need it would be AWP that pulled me through but surprisingly that wasn't the case. I still visited the forum often each day but rarely posted myself. I didn't watch an episode until it was started to be repeated on the box a few months ago. I've recorded them all on my sky box even though I have them all on DVD. Just one if those things I can't delete.
So for me I'm not sure what made me take a 'time-out' as they say in those American football games. A bit of both I should think.
Ta-ra for a bit...

Lou
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Lou » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:54 am

Made me feel a bit sad to read what you just wrote, Lee. I for one really appreciate all the effort and bloody hard work you all put in to bringing a little ray of sunshine into our otherwise drab existence! That post about the safety dance yesterday I responded to and you went out of your way to find the clip of the song featured in the mugging scene, quite touching that was. You always go that little bit extra. I think this site is great, I don't use Facebook as I don't want all and sundry knowing my business, past or present. But I enjoy our site as its not too intrusive if you get me. The fan fictions I wrote were the first time I actually wrote anything since school, my husband has said for years I should try to write but with four kids to look after since I was 19, life gets in the way and the years pass by too quickly. I couldn't believe all the fantastic feed back I received from my little fan fictions, which I didn't think we're that good and I'd like to thank everyone for their comments. This has inspired me to maybe try to write a play, I've got an idea in the pipeline so I think I'll give it a go. Don't know if it'll go anywhere but oh well. I've always wanted to write something but never really had the balls to do anything, but what you've said about the stuff I've done on here really means a lot. I go on this site every day and I love it. Thanks chaps. That's it, really.
I'd just like to add, Lee that for you to have been affected the way you were just goes to show how passionate you must be for what you do for us lot. Hope you feel ok now ;) bloody hell, just read that back, I didn't have four kids when I was 19, I've accumulated them over the years! Sounded a bit wrong that!)

GatesheadRevisited
Plasterer
Plasterer

Post by GatesheadRevisited » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:31 am

Hi Lee, I've not been on the forum long but wanted to reply to your post. Life really does imitate art and vice versa. It seems to me that the AWP community, fb, twitter, and this forum is about strangers from around the globe. Strangers meeting, sharing experiences and becoming friends. Doesn't that remind you of a TV show about a group of people from around the UK who went to live in a hut on a building site in Germany? Maybe the low you felt after the convention was the result of your virtual hut being burnt down. And now you're into season two of the AWP virtual world.
I know you're not looking for praise but you really do deserve a big thank-you from all of us who have special memories of AWP for a variety of reasons. Thanks mate,
Darren

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:38 am

The main reason I posted was to sort of ask if anyone else has been in the position? Rhills comment about burning out has been noted a couple of times to me. A fan who I shall not name had to put all his DVDs in the loft after the Fan Gathering simply because he'd had enough....

I can honestly say I have battled through the burn, and come out the other side. I've never had to hide my DVDs, I've never been that bad.

Lou
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Lou » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:26 pm

Well thank god you're ok Lee, I thought you might have been doing a Stevie mac from Corrie, on the depression, like, I was a bit worried about you son....thank god you're ok xxxxx

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:52 pm

In all the time ive known Lee i think thats the longest speech ive heard him make.....
I honestly dont know how i missed this topic.. but yes, sometimes you do get burned out on a chosen passion/topic etc,..
Same with my GhostFace site.. Whilst the new film was in motion in 2010 all fans were excited as hell and couldnt wait, and then after April 2011 the site AND many fans went quieter.. I did see similar with fans of AWP too... its right with what Lee says.. the build up before the convention was bloody mad.. fans dying to get the tickets, talking about what they hoped for and who they wanted to see there etc etc..
and then afterwards its all over, just like that... For myself at the convention it was all over after the bollocking for turning a camera on and getting the auction footage... the seriousness of the telling off by one person in particular for what was really nothing to be alarmed about at all just killed it for me... i remember walking back to the hotel and knowing all the way there that i was packing my bags and going straight home... (Plus i had it set in my head my grandmas funeral was on the monday, then it turned out to be a week later) i had seen the cast and everyone i could, been round parts of the city centre.. got some other footage of the hotel etc.. watched Private Lives in a brilliant atmosphere of other fans laughter, seen and met fans from the forum here and elsewhere and i had everything ticked off so to say... the bollocking just accelerated my departure... But even with the negativity of that i had now met Andy Patrick and his brother, and his mate Steve, and Lee again.. and thought they were the good parts of the weekend. along with seeing BA and Hedley, and Andy H, and Si.. (Where has he been lately?)... and Peng50... and all the others that i like here..

At one stage i was always on this forum posting, i do still check it every day now but dont always post... i have been concentrating on 'Boon' a little bit more lately because the mrs bought me the full boxset in June for my birthday.. i have been seeking locations as used in that show.. but at the same time i have been to Scanda Sauna a couple of times checking things to confirm it WAS where we first see Ally Fraser talking to Billy.. and it IS the right place i have been looking.. the main street level of the building.. also i have seen other fans more recently a few times at the Barley Mow, and even been up Doncaster to watch them filming 'Still open all hours' and again, met up with a fan who's local round there who loves AWP too.. Daniel Lancaster... On TV lately ITV Encore has showed all of 'Outside Edge' apart from the Corfu Christmas Special, and i have been confirming locations on that too.. and am also looking into the locations as used in the original 'Open all hours'...
Round the corner from me also is ANOTHER location as used by Central studios in 'The Upper Hand' and im told the owner is like the new owner at Thornely Manor... (Doesnt want fans taking pics or footage)...

Apart from that i was surprised as hell to have the BBC Tweet me asking to ring them, as im sure you all know by now for the Radio times poll winner being AWP, and i think they were surprised how much was filmed down here.. The chap who contacted me told me he would be back in touch about 'Boon' locations, which is another reason im concentrating a little more on that.. brushing up on knowledge so to speak.. i know loads of places just like i did with AWP.. but with Boon, theres bloody loads of Stately homes used. some are bastards to find, others are instantly recognised..

So while im not burnt out as such, i have been busy... all this for an unemployed piece of shite eh!!! Should be looking for a bloody job but the passion of the programs and locations finding take over!!!!
OP

shirley pollard
Knitting AWP Fan
Knitting AWP Fan

Post by shirley pollard » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:18 pm

only just seen this thread..i dont quite understand how you can feel hatred for the show after the convention.(i dont mean that in a bad way.)i couldnt make it to that one but after the gathering last year it made me like it even more .this site is just the best ,and you tim and andy do an absolute fantastic job with all your research ,merchandise etc..theres always something new to add.also i cant imagine never watching )t,as it cheers me up...
i really do hope we have another gathering in the future...

that's a canny jumper man !

AlreetPal
Legal Advisor
Legal Advisor

Post by AlreetPal » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:16 am

First time I've came across this thread and was a very interesting read. I had the exact same feelings as yourself Lee. The build up to the convention for me was incredible, thinking I was going to see the remaining cast all there together.
After the night, although looking back now it was a great night, I felt a bit depressed also. Firstly due to the fact that not everyone turned up, (Jimmy Nail and Tim Spall amongst the main cast) if they were to ever come together again surely this was going to be it. Sadly not. Other factors also contributed to me feeling that way, the one that still pisses me off is how most of the true fans were stuffed right at the back of the arena when the sponsor tables, full of tosspots who really weren't interested had a fantastic view.
Since the convention, I haven't been here much due to the fact I feel that almost everything about AWP has been covered and probably very little remains unearthed. No doubt the odd gem will still come to light but for me, since the event I feel like it's lost a little bit of magic. Yes, I still watch an episode every day and I love it, but I know now that's it, the cast will never reunite and that to me is sad.
And finally, leading up to the convention I was always on the look out for the casts signatures to add to my collection, continually scouring EBay, but that night I got the lot, so the collection is complete, all original 7 mans supporting cast,,writers and directors.
Shut ya yak will ya man, you snivelling little git.

We're sophisticated blokes us, ya know.

Musta bin Elbowed
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Musta bin Elbowed » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:48 pm

Only just seen this thread too. Sounds to me like you had post-production blues. Its quite common in many forms of 'showbiz' - why do you think so many musicians go back out on tour so quickly? They miss it and dont want it to be over.

I didnt attend the convention but occasionally I've considered starting a semi serious thread on here called "This site has ruined Aufpet for me!". Reason being: too much information. At one point I'd absorbed so much of the site the show lost some magic - I could no longer watch it as "Brits in Germany", I was seeing actors in a shed in Elstree. Reading that book about series one didnt help either. So I had a break from the show (I only watch about twice a year anyway to avoid overload) and made sure ever since then that I stay away from things on here like the maps of the site and so forth.

Glad you're feeling better now anyway.

Lou
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Lou » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:23 pm

You know what you need Lee...... A good skinfull of beer!

AhhBrenda
Plumber
Plumber

Post by AhhBrenda » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:30 pm

I would like to just say thanks, I enjoy this website a lot and it is a nice place to come and share Auf Pet memories. For myself I think I am a bit less into it than some of you hardcore fans are. I pop on every now and them when I feel a bit sentimental.

It was an absolutely unique programme and felt very real and people connected with it often in their formative years. It has had a fairly deep impact for a TV series. Not many do that.

The only thing I can think is that most avenues of pleasure, hobbies etc. can lose their spark from time to time it is good to try to have a range of things you enjoy so you can dip in and dip out. I suspect running the Auf Pet forum and associated tasks is hard work. So keep it on the right side of fun, that way you can progress with things but not overdo it. And yes when you really enjoy something and then you get a feeling that something changes abruptly and it cannot be the same again it can be tricky and often you have to try and take it a day at a time and just let yourself be a bit until some other area of interest perks you up.. That's life I guess and being completely honest there is not much you can do but pick yourself up and crack on. Inspiration and positivity sometimes come when you least expect it.

As long as you have your health you have every thing you immediately need.

Chin up and onwards we go.
"Err.. anyone fancy some pork scratchings ?".. "Dennis are you tellin' me, you'd rather sit in here on your own watching poxy German TV instead of strumpin' some Nordic nymph ?"