Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Your Memories and Pictures

Read fans memories and view pictures from the 2013 Convention.

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Your Memories and Pictures

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:34 pm

I thought it would be good for every fan on here who attended to have their own Fan Page on the site. Just like what Linda has done, type up your memories from the night, seperate post if you like, really don't mind. Add a picture and I will start sorting it all out.

Could you also forward your memories and pictures of the weekend to,
Karen - sales@madetotreasure.com, who was looking after all the themed dressing and displays for the event.

Lee

Si
Gaffer
Gaffer

Re: Your Memories and Pictures

Post by Si » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:06 pm

I've got as far as typing me memories of Friday 20th Sep 2013.

It's VERY self-indulgent and long-winded, so for that I apologise. But I wanted to tell THAT Friday from my point of view.

It's been brill hearing everyone's thoughts and feelings around the forum. Will have to type up Saturday (the main event) next!

All the best,

Si :)

Friday 20 Sep 2013

Well, I got to Wor Norma's flat at 10:30 and we did a checklist. Clothes? Check. Deodrant? Check. Treasure Map? Check. Tickets? Good job she said 'cause I'd forgot them! So off we went to mine to get them. As it was such brilliant sunshine I grabbed my shades too.

10 minutes later driving on the A63 out of Hull it started plouting down. Ya knae, cats and dogs. Was pissing down. Off came the shades.

A couple of hours later and we got closer to our destination. I started quoting lines from what I was seeing. A turn off for Consett, “Since Tony was laid off at Consett, Audrey's been stripping.” 5 miles to Birtley, “Not in Birtley it's not.” Went past Washington, “It's too far man, what with Brenda working...” Well, you get the gist.

Into Gateshead and we were at traffic lights next to the base of a large building. Unfortunately, we were looking at how steep a road was at eye level and didn't raise our gaze up enough to see the massive 'Hilton' letters and the 'Auf Wiedershen Pet' banner unfurled on the balcony just above us. So we drove over the red bridge (not the proper Tyne one) to the Quayside area. Looking back across the river we see our Hilton hotel. So, a little return trip and we were in!

Wow, Hilton, posh or what? They had a fountain in reception, man! Blokes with briefcases, sharp suits and well-manicured nails were checking out as this bloke with purple t-shirt, jeans and common Hull brogue checked in. The booking in lady was lovely though. So I took my big red embarrassed face and went and got parked up.

Into the room, 558 (remember that). First thing I did was put the box on. My name was on the screen! Only time it probs ever will be. Lovely big room. Have never had a mini-bar before. No prices though, so it was left well alone. There was a bottle of mineral water on a table which they would replenish daily if drunk. At £3.95 a time! We put our 80p Asda bottle next to it for a photo :)

I text a few of the lads to say me and wor Norma were there and Lee let me know he was in the bar. So down we went. We met Lee, wor gaffer, splendid chap; Dave, who with Lee, started the ball rolling for all of this, another top bloke; and Tim, who had to introduce himself to me, then it struck me, all those location videos! I know this guy! Brill lad. So we had a bit of a natter and I must say it was amazing to be chatting Auf Pet with real people in front of me. Apparently Melanie Hill had just been there but me, wor Norma and Tim (and his dodgy Corsa) missed her. I said I'd be in the bar at ten past three. Lee, impressed, commented on how early I was. “I'm from 'ull” was my reply :)

Anyway, Lee and Dave had to dash off to guest on a radio show, so after talking to Tim for a bit longer me and Norma went across the bridge and into the Quayside area. Had a quick pint then back to the hotel.

But we realised we had no idea where the night's meeting place, Arch 16, was. So as Norma went to the room I had a look round. Eventually I found it and went back to the hotel.

The envelope-carrying concierge was at the lifts and let me go in first. As we went up I noticed his envelope said 'Lesley Saint' on it. As he swivelled it round I saw the '-John' bit at the end. I was on floor 5 and that's where he got out. So I'm following him along the corridor wondering where wor Vicki is and he stops at room 557 (I told you to remember!) right opposite our room. He knocked and as I slotted my card in, the door was answered and a long, feminine arm reached out to take the envelope. “Hallo, thanks very much!” No mistaking Vicki. I wasn't going to take a few steps back and peer into her room, that would have been weird, ha! So, I went into my room and said “OMG!” to wor Norma. Aye, I said “OMG!”. Yup, I feel shame. And I apologise.

Soon after I had my face pressed up against the window looking for anyone famous, whilst pool was on Sky Sports. Not stayed in a hotel with Sky Sports before. Hmm, am I painting a cheap picture of myself here? Then I got a text off Hedley Irwin who had just reached Arch 16. Me and Norma set off in search of Hedley's trilby.

We reached the venue and there, on a table, was a nicely looked after Trilby. It's owner sat proudly next to it and I strolled over and shook the great Hedley's hand. So him, me and and Norma sat down and had a chat and, sounding camp again, it was lovely! I'd met 4 mates for the first time in just a few hours. Brilliant!

Lee rang to say get back to the hotel bar pronto. We know the type of guy Lee is, he's got connections, the dodgy bastard (luckily he didn't just have one photograph ;) ). We went back and Tim and Lee met Hedley for the first time. Dave and his lovely missus Bev came down with their friends. Again, much nattering, seeing how Tim's car was etc.

Then in walked Vicki, aka Lesley Saint John. Lee said it would be worth it! Needless to say we were all star struck. She knows Dave well and a few hands were shaken. But I wanted a peck so went in for one on the cheek. She was lovely. I was like a total fan-boy, “My room is right opposite yours!” I squeed. Then everyone called me a stalker, ha!

Lesley was lovely and very humble. She said how she thought she was so down the list of fan favourites that she just thought she didn't come up much in the fans' consciousness. The lads, esp Tim and Lee told her that was not the case at all and she was much loved. Proved at the Brickie's banquet. More on that in the Saturday section...

She sat with us and had a natter, Lee was still being a busy bee and organising stuff. He had a bloody lot on his plate and he handled it like Wayne with a German strump. What a trooper! About 20 minutes later, Norma said I had a lipstick mark on my cheek. Ahh, to rub off or not to rub off, that was the question. Well, we were off out so I rubbed it off! But Vicki kissed my cheek. That'll stay with me always :)

Breaking Away was in contact with Lee, and we couldn't wait to meet our NZ friend for he had travelled further than anyone. We said our goodbyes to Vicki and off we went, into the Newcastle night. The weekend really had started....

…................................

Now from this point on things get a *little* bit hazy, (Oh shush up Hedley and BA). We went to the Central pub, all of wor. A reet good gang. We had our treasure maps and pens and we were looking for the pics of the lads. In the Central (What a great pub name to start off with!) were 2 pics no less. We got off to a flying start.

Then after the beer I decided to go on to Old Rosie. Hmmm, I hope someone is going to post their account of the weekend, so as to fill in the gaps which are to follow ;) . We went onto a few more pubs, each time filling in our maps with the letters below our heroes. We all went into a great pub back room and and a great conflab. We even went in the Quayside, where Oz and Nev came out of in Heavy Metal.

Then Breaking Away finally reached us. And more, he had his missus with him! In he strolled, tan, blonde locks, tidy boiler on his arm. Dunno who he thought he was! But what a wonderful couple. Smiles as broad as a Cheshire cats. Funny and engaging. And his missus didn't even seem to mind me slavvering on her shoulder in my drunken stupour. Even Norma said she's not seen me as pissed as that. So apologies all from a (well-meaning) drunken idiot!

I met Paul Armstrong too. The beer-maker who was the old gaffer when it comes to online Pet. Another top bloke with some amazing stories.

Well, at the Crown Prosada (Had to look at your post for the name, Hedley) i'd lost the treasure map. "You're totally irresponsible, it has to be said" quipped Hedley to much chortling and giggles. Loved it!

Somehow we got split up and Lee and a few others ended up in the Hilton bar. Soon after we ended up there too. And I got introduced to none other than Roger Bamford! Brill guy (I'm sensing a pattern here). Sounded posh (to me) and as he sipped his red wine he seemed quite overwhelmed by it all. He was simply adorable, I gotta say.

One by one people drifted off to bed. Until it was just me, Norma, BA and missus and Roger. It was a giggle. Sometime after midnight, me and Norma said our goodbyes and remarked on what an awesome evening it had been.

Then we went and got a kebab.

Breaking Away
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Breaking Away » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:16 pm

How on earth do you remember all of this? You were absolutely plas ... er, well written Si. Really well written. Some good laughs in there, and bang on with my description. (You missed out the ripped body, six pack abs etc though)

ruggedscot
Electrician
Electrician

Post by ruggedscot » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:37 pm

Good story indeed... Nice to read your experiances. Hope you got back to the right room and didnt go knocking on Vicy's

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:51 am

Thanks Si, love it ! Lee in the bar, I mighta bloody knoon !
Breaking Away, six-pack ? I heard it is more like a dozen !!!

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:28 pm

Read this the other night on my phone, couldnt believe how much he remembered as when Roger Bamford was in the bar on friday Si was almost at the limit.. :P
OP

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:49 am

Cracking stuff, Si.

Breaking Away
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Breaking Away » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:14 am

Here we go then.
Friday

Woke up in Oslo, as you do, and caught the sights until 2pm before grabbing our gear and heading to the airport. A quick flight to Stavanger and then an hour wait before the next flight. Waiting at the gate there were lots foreigners speaking in different languages. It took a few minutes before I realized the nearest group of lads to us were in fact speaking English and were heading back to their home town. One of them offered to take our photo as we were relaxing in these deckchairs. We boarded a small propelled Dash 8 for the flight to Newcastle. It was a bit of a bone shaker but got us there and on time.
I turned on my mobile, a text from AlreetPal (cheers mate) and a couple of missed calls from Lee. Lee then called again, asking how long we were going to be and wondering if they should wait around.
The airport was quiet thank goodness so were quickly through passport control, even after having to play 20 questions.
"How long will you been away from New Zealand?"
"Six weeks. We fly out of Heathrow in six days time"
"How did you get six weeks off work?"
"What? Because I was going to be travelling overseas for six weeks so I took leave"
"Why are you coming to Newcastle?"
(Obviously not used to tourists up here)
"We're going to the Auf Weidersehen Pet convention this weekend"
"A what convention?"
WTF? "Do you not come from round here?"
"Round here?"
"Aye, do you live here, in Newcastle?"

Anyways, we're allowed in, grab our bags and are about to dash for the door and escaping a cavity search when find all the doors are locked and no-one can get owt!
Finally after what seemed an eternity we're in the main terminal and following the metro signs.
Buy the tickets at the machine as Lee rings again while putting the packs on our backs and grab what's lying in the collection hatch and jump on the train.
Just about there I think. A couple of stations before Newcastle the train gets invaded with guys checking tickets. I grab mine out of my pocket and disaster, I'd grabbed one ticket and a receipt that the previous punter had left in the machine. Thirty seconds later we're thrown off the train and I'm explaining what I think has happened. After going through three different inspectors they think I'm talking shite and hit me up for a 20pound fine and I need to buy another ticket. "Mate, we've spent 15 grand the last 5 weeks, do you really think I'm going to skimp on a 3 pound ticket?" What a bunch of heed-a-balls. I'm still fuming about it now.
"Where I come from we're hospitable to strangers" I tells him.
Finally make it to Gateshead station and a ten minute walk to the Hilton. Got a bit lost and double back and around the Hilton and walk past the Central. That's where the lads were, so stayed in the shadows so they wouldn't spot us, put two and two together and realize the dopey pricks were lost.
Check in to room 512. Wehey I thought, if only we were on the 6th floor. In the elevator and notice there's only 5 floors anyway. We quickly freshen up and make our way back to the Central and order a couple of pints. About to text Lee (only had 39p credit) as I couldn't spot the team and Lee rings me. They've left there, but he'll come and meet us in five minutes. I make haste on my drink.
Lee strides in. I could tell by his confident walk he's a man of authority and looked like he could plan a convention. He bowls straight past me as if I wasn't there and about to exit the other door while muttering "where the #%$* are these ...," I take a stab in the dark and call out "Oi Lee?"
The first of many handshakes on the night and a quick yarn with Lee and we're off to meet the lads.
Now Mrs Away doesn't drink much, so two thirds of the pint gets poured into mine which I knock down and we're on our way to the Crown Posada.
There we meet Tim, Hedley, Si and sister Norma, and follow organizer David, who tells me this pub has just reopened after 50 years.
I felt like a circus attraction with the interest in us during introductions. Si wouldn't stop giggling and I think we shook hands at least three times before Lee said to David, "they're starving, where do they eat in Newcastle?"
A quick scoff of burger and chips around the corner and then we're back in the Crown Posada for more handshakes from Si, but not for long as we head off to the Bridge Hotel. David heads off back to the Hilton to try and entice Lesley Saint-John out of her room. Hedley gets the drinks in for Mrs Away and myself (both for me really because she hardly touched hers) and I hear how the lads had met Lesley earlier in the evening. 'She's in the room opposite me', proudly says Si during a lengthy handshake. Tim keeps bringing Crocodile Dundee up in conversation. Maybe he likes his hat.
It's then a walk back to the Central where I have a yarn with Paul Armstrong. The missus is being entertained by Si and Norma. Great to talk with Paul about his site and I remember he was trying to get something organized for a 20 year anniversary. He said the new series ended that idea. I tell him how many on the forum have arrived after looking to see if there's been any update on his old site. I check that Mrs Away is ok and she is deep in conversation with Si, well, listening anyway as Si slips his arm around the back of her seat. Hedley had the treasure hunt sheet out and even though he's missing a few letters, has already worked it out. Well done son. David had struck out and failed, returning without Lesley on his arm. Should have taken Tim with him I think. I check Mrs Away again, who's still in conversation with Si, as Norma nabs a bit of dribble off his chin. Nothing to worry about there then.
We're off again, this time to the bar at the Hilton. While waiting at the bar I hear the cash register chirping away. 'I ordered two drinks mate, not twenty two' I thought, so settled on a couple of cokes. There I was introduced to some other lads from the forum that had done a fair amount of work behind the scenes. Lee shoots on up to his room and brings down the days Chronicle that had a convention article in it and also a script that was to be auctioned the next night.
I remember talking to Tim while shaking hands with Si, and Lee sidles over and says that's Roger Bamford at the bar.
Now, I think being the first night out here, I underestimated the strength of the English beer, or cider in my case, but I genuinely thought that Lee meant Roger was one of the two bartenders behind the bar. I remember saying he can't be that short of a few bob surely, but then thought maybe he was serving a few fans for the weekend, undercover boss or something.
Tim goes over and breaks the ice, what a charmer. No wonder he can talk his way into a strangers garage. So within seconds, Roger, sipping on a glass of red wine, is chatting away, answering questions and posing for photos. What a gentleman and all round good sport. It was a real thrill to meet him.
I don't remember what time it was, somewhere near 1am maybe, but Si was saying how hungry he was. After a quick handshake from Si and a goodnight to Norma, the missus and I head upstairs to retire.
Attachments
20130920_234023_resized (1).jpg
20130920_234023_resized (1).jpg (167.77 KiB) Viewed 6367 times

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:57 am

F A B Virgil !!! Hangin on to every line, looking forward to Parts 2 & 3. Have ya foond Si yet ?

Breaking Away
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Breaking Away » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:29 am

I presume he's gone underground writing up his Saturday review.

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:58 pm

Nice post BA'.. seems like you had more bother getting from Newcastle airport to us than anything.. Arseholes that dont listen with tickets..
OP

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:51 pm

I think Si might need a Hypnotist to try and recall the rest of the weekend...
No offence squire!

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:34 pm

Since the convention i think Si has died down with Forum presence.. unless i keep missing him here... ?? Where is he?
OP

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:01 pm

Top bloke Si, Prince amongst men.....definitely one to have at the next Con!

HerrPfister
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by HerrPfister » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:16 pm

AWP Corsa Tim wrote:Since the convention i think Si has died down with Forum presence.. unless i keep missing him here... ?? Where is he?
Think he went fishing with some of the Erics...