Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Which actors were approached to appear?

Read fans memories and view pictures from the 2013 Convention.

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

Hedley Irwin
Gaffer
Gaffer

Which actors were approached to appear?

Post by Hedley Irwin » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:33 pm

I can understand that the nature of their work means that actors sometimes can't be "off location" to attend a function, but I was a little surprised that more of the "smaller role" cast members couldn't make it.

It's understandable that Moxey, Oz, Barry and Wyman might have bigger fish to fry nowadays, but what about say Debbie, Rod, Big Baz, Herr Ulrich etc.

Were they simply not approached, or did they all have other things going on?
I need some slippers, and some soap

AlreetPal
Legal Advisor
Legal Advisor

Re: Which actors were approached to appear?

Post by AlreetPal » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:43 pm

Although it was a fantastic evening, the lack of actual actors/actresses that didn't attend still baffles me. Even if Jimmy, Tim S and Chris F were busy, I'm amazed they couldn't manage one night out of their schedules considering AWP made them 30 years ago. They had the time to do the piece to video reminising about the AWP days, so surely one weekend wouldn't be too much considering they must have known for months in advance.
Also surprised the lesser cast weren't there aswell.

Certainly can't see there ever being another reunion so an opportunity missed. :x
Shut ya yak will ya man, you snivelling little git.

We're sophisticated blokes us, ya know.

Geordie
Electrician
Electrician

Post by Geordie » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:56 pm

AlreetPal wrote:Although it was a fantastic evening, the lack of actual actors/actresses that didn't attend still baffles me. Even if Jimmy, Tim S and Chris F were busy, I'm amazed they couldn't manage one night out of their schedules considering AWP made them 30 years ago. They had the time to do the piece to video reminising about the AWP days, so surely one weekend wouldn't be too much considering they must have known for months in advance.

Certainly can't see there ever being another reunion so an opportunity missed. :x
Aye if there was ever a time for them all to be there you'd think this would be it. Maybe they didn't want to go, maybe they had other work arrangements. Either way from the sounds of it at least Kevin and Tim were there and by all accounts were spot on and good sports with everyone.

Will the videos from the cast members not there (Jimmy etc....) be posted online?

AlreetPal
Legal Advisor
Legal Advisor

Post by AlreetPal » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:03 pm

It was all filmed on the night for Sunday For Sammy DVD,
Shut ya yak will ya man, you snivelling little git.

We're sophisticated blokes us, ya know.

Geordie
Electrician
Electrician

Post by Geordie » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:43 pm

Oh Good crack, least those of us who couldn't make it will get to watch it back then.

Musta bin Elbowed
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Musta bin Elbowed » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:04 pm

AlreetPal wrote:Although it was a fantastic evening, the lack of actual actors/actresses that didn't attend still baffles me. Even if Jimmy, Tim S and Chris F were busy, I'm amazed they couldn't manage one night out of their schedules considering AWP made them 30 years ago. They had the time to do the piece to video reminising about the AWP days, so surely one weekend wouldn't be too much considering they must have known for months in advance.

If they can afford a weekend out of their lives to go Newcastle it proves they've got sod all else better to do.... ;)

Thing is, it's 'work' to these guys. Would you go to a city possibly a long way from where you're currently working for a weekend to attend an event for people who liked the job you did for them 30 years ago? Doubt I would :twisted:

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:15 pm

We did try our very best, and many confirmed attendence but had to pull out due to changes in their filming schedules.

Fergie in Aberdeen
Brickie
Brickie

Post by Fergie in Aberdeen » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:53 pm

I never really expected Jimmy to be there, all that backslapping from excited punters like us doesn't strike me as something he'd be entirely comfortable with. Fair enough in my opinion, not everyone is into such things. As far as I'm concerned, neither Chris, Tim or Jim, or Bill Paterson for that matter owe anyone an explanation or apology. Of course I would've been made up if they had all shown up, it would've completed a very special night and it's a disappointment that they weren't there, but it's not for me to hold it against them in the slightest.

On the upside, it was a fantastic surprise to see Julia, Lesley, Melanie and Wor Norma, the delightful Valerie. The reception the received was lovely and it showed the affection in which the supporting characters and actors are also held.

There was a lovely moment between Kevin and Julia, I don't know if anyone noticed it. During the video segment when Neville is writing the postcard from the ferry, when Neville signs off saying "I love you Brenda and I miss you", Kevin and Julia lent into each other and had a wee hug. A lovely, touching moment which summed up the affection of the entire evening.

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:56 pm

Fergie in Aberdeen wrote: There was a lovely moment between Kevin and Julia, I don't know if anyone noticed it. During the video segment when Neville is writing the postcard from the ferry, when Neville signs off saying "I love you Brenda and I miss you", Kevin and Julia lent into each other and had a wee hug. A lovely, touching moment which summed up the affection of the entire evening.

aye i saw that.. and another video was playing at another time where Neville and Brenda were on it and Kevin put his hand on Julia's as if to say 'Good Job' or Remember this.. or something.. i think they both loved the night..
OP

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:58 pm

It was a great moment between Kevin and Julia.
I must also point out that Julia was looking damn fine! ;)

Fergie in Aberdeen
Brickie
Brickie

Post by Fergie in Aberdeen » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:05 pm

I'll second that, Julia was looking bloody lovely! I've no idea what age she is but she's still a fine lookin' lady!

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:08 pm

I think she looked better last Saturday than in Series 3, 4 and The Special!
What happened in the last 10 years, did she get younger?!!!

Hallwood
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Hallwood » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:10 pm

According to Wikipedia, Julia was born in 1955, making her 57/58. :o

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:15 pm

WOW!
Are you sure?!

Fergie in Aberdeen
Brickie
Brickie

Post by Fergie in Aberdeen » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:18 pm

Well I thought she looked terrific!