Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Character Profiles - Neville Hope

Who is your favourite character from Auf Wiedersehen, Pet?

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Character Profiles - Neville Hope

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:08 pm

A section I would like to add to the site with your help is 'Character Profiles'.
We all know about the cast, but as for the Characters that has never been really looked into.

I would like it to be for someone who has never seen the show before or just watched the first episode and wants to know more. I'd like to start off with Neville and work onto the next each month or so. So what is Neville really like, to you?

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Re: Character Profiles - Neville Hope

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:19 pm

Like Dick clement descried... Mr Worry... always looking to the bad side of things or moaning about little things.. although if someone had ate some of a cake i had i suppose i would have reason to moan... Neville was a good grafter overall, just had that gloomier side when bored..
OP

Lou
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Lou » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:55 am

I imagine he had a bit of a sheltered life really. As he said his dad died when he was young and he had to look after his mother by going straight out to work from leaving school to earn the money. I imagine he met Brenda soon after as he was only 19 or 20 when they got married so really I suppose he never had much of a youth as such. I don't think he was the type to go out boozing with the lads. I would say also that he was a bit of a doormat where Brenda was concerned, always did as he was told and afraid to make his own decisions without first "asking Brenda". He always put his family first though which I suppose was a bit of a rarity in those days. I know from experience that my dad(who was a carpenter) although he put money on the table went out seven nights a week. At least Neville was there for his family, and although he was a bit of a wet fish was a reliable bloke and a good husband and father.

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:08 am

Ah Neville, my favourite. Neville Hope is the only character with no middle ground. One day, he will be talking about how much he is missing his wife Brenda in front of a bunch of blokes, crying in a taxi, admitting that his favourite colour is pink and wearing homemade slippers on building sites. On a full moon, he is violently striking metal doors, shoving his bully Magowan, threatening mates with the back of his hand if they insult his local Newcastle Brown Ale, openly boasting about his erection that he can hang a hat on then stabs a prostitute with it. But in general, a nice lad who wears his heart on his sleeve.

Lou
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Lou » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:12 pm

RHill wrote:Ah Neville, my favourite. Neville Hope is the only character with no middle ground. One day, he will be talking about how much he is missing his wife Brenda in front of a bunch of blokes, crying in a taxi, admitting that his favourite colour is pink and wearing homemade slippers on building sites. On a full moon, he is violently striking metal doors, shoving his bully Magowan, threatening mates with the back of his hand if they insult his local Newcastle Brown Ale, openly boasting about his erection that he can hang a hat on then stabs a prostitute with it. But in general, a nice lad who wears his heart on his sleeve.
Or his hat on his nob! :shock:

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:22 pm

I think it's disgusting on a Sunday......

AWPfanfromNZ
Boozer
Boozer

Post by AWPfanfromNZ » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:09 pm

Neville was always worrying because I think he was thinking ahead of all the pluses and minuses about things, etc. and mind-screwing himself. However, as his father died when he was young (and didn't have much of a youth) he was concerned at being a good husband and father and always thinking of Brenda and his daughters before the lads (a really caring bloke - compared to Oz who couldn't give a donkey shite about his wife and son) and this was proven through all the phone calls, letters, discussions with Brenda, etc. which is what made their marriage last longer than all the others! And remember, it was at a time when divorce and broken families were starting to become the norm in our society too!
Happy Days!! :D :D