Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Series 1

Which is your favourite series and why?

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

Post Reply
User avatar
Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5748
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:26 pm
Location: Thornley Manor, Derbyshire
Contact:
Status: Offline

Series 1

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:13 pm

Since the Convention and Andy Patricks doings with the Beco Site, I have took a real shine to Series 1 lately. I think it's because of also watching 'Private Lives' with the lads man also....
Image

User avatar
jet set willy
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:39 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Series 1

Post by jet set willy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:34 am

Series 1 is still the best series. The hut, and the fact that they were all working rough abroad is what made it such a success. Apart from the scenes in Thorneley Manor in Series 2, none of the episodes that followed series 1 would recreate this atmosphere again.

The best parts of series 2 are without doubt the first half, up until they brick up Pringle's pub as a send off. After that the series runs out of steam. The 2 Newcastle episodes that followed dragged, and were pointless fillers, and the remaining 4 Spain episodes were ruined by a number of factors -

- Holton's death (obviously), making the interior scenes gloomy. You can almost see in the actors faces that their heart isn't in it anymore.

- the wives and girlfriends being included on the trip. Completely takes away the camaraderie of the lads together away

- no roughing it scenes, no bedroom scenes

- the Spanish scenes seem a bit of a wasted opportunity. We could have seen a lot more of the boys getting pissed up in a bar, instead of what we had. The only decent scene in Spain is when they all jump bollock naked in the pool, and getting caught.

- the final episode abruptly comes to an end, in a way which doesn't end the series properly.

User avatar
AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker
Posts: 5298
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:00 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Series 1

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:21 am

I think Series 1 steels it a tad because we are seeing the lads all get to know one another.. i think if gary hadnt had gone when he did we may have seen Series 2 surpass it..
Image
OP

User avatar
RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer
Posts: 2280
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:01 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Series 1

Post by RHill » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:10 pm

Strictly speaking, there never was a second series. The second was a serial where the same story continues the following week. Perhaps that idea of it being a serial was the main reason that it was never going to beat series one. Just maybe.

User avatar
RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer
Posts: 2280
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:01 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Series 1

Post by RHill » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:57 pm

RHill wrote:Strictly speaking, there never was a second series. The second was a serial where the same story continues the following week. Perhaps that idea of it being a serial was the main reason that it was never going to beat series one. Just maybe.
Actually I disagree with myself reading that back. I think it works better as a serial. I find there are too many unanswered questions in series one. :)

User avatar
RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer
Posts: 2280
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:01 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Series 1

Post by RHill » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:58 pm

RHill wrote:
RHill wrote:Strictly speaking, there never was a second series. The second was a serial where the same story continues the following week. Perhaps that idea of it being a serial was the main reason that it was never going to beat series one. Just maybe.
Actually I disagree with myself reading that back. I think it works better as a serial. I find there are too many unanswered questions in series one. :)
Bollocks! Seriously, Richard. Do you not think series 1 has more character? :mrgreen:

User avatar
RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer
Posts: 2280
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:01 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Series 1

Post by RHill » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:00 pm

RHill wrote:
RHill wrote:
RHill wrote:Strictly speaking, there never was a second series. The second was a serial where the same story continues the following week. Perhaps that idea of it being a serial was the main reason that it was never going to beat series one. Just maybe.
Actually I disagree with myself reading that back. I think it works better as a serial. I find there are too many unanswered questions in series one. :)
Bollocks! Seriously, Richard. Do you not think series 1 has more character? :mrgreen:
If you mean as in originality, then yes Richard. DL

User avatar
AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker
Posts: 5298
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:00 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Series 1

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:21 pm

What you been on eh??? ! ;)
Image
OP

User avatar
RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer
Posts: 2280
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:01 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Series 1

Post by RHill » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:56 pm

haha... Its my way of saying that I still can't decide which series is best after 32 years.

User avatar
Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5748
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:26 pm
Location: Thornley Manor, Derbyshire
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Series 1

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:35 pm

Series 1 was remarkable!
Really it shouldn't have worked, bunch of, group of men living in a hut on a building site in Germany. I mean if you wrote that description down on a piece of paper it sounds mental!
But by buggery did it!!
Image

User avatar
FoxyMoxey
Brickie
Brickie
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:22 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Series 1

Post by FoxyMoxey » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:27 pm

Series 1 is still the best for my money. You'd be laughing at situations like the herb garden, the rat, and Barry and Wayne on the pull but in between the hilarious situations you'd have psycho Magowan terrorising the gang, Neville being accused of beating up that woman, Colin talking about his friends dying, and Oz nearly dying to save Dennis... The comedy and drama blended together superbly. It felt the most real out of all them. Series 2's very good but it lacked the grit and edge of the first series, and it's disjointed despite having a continuous storyline running through it. Also, several partners joining the lads on the Spain trip still rubs me the wrong way after all these years. It means the Spain trip is more like a family holiday, and that Dennis and Neville are separated from the group for the majority of the time. Then there's obviously the choppiness of Gary Holton's absence at the latter end of the series.

The later ones injected some of the gritty drama of the first series back into it with the drugs, the hitman after Moxey, Barry going to jail etc but the plots were often so far fetched it felt far removed from the normal every day lives of normal working blokes. On top of that, because TV had become much faster paced since the 80's, and there were only six episodes to a series, so much of that terrific insubstantial banter of the first two series was gone.

There were some great episodes/moments outside the first series, and I'm glad we got the second series, and these last few years I've even started to come around to the later ones and enjoy them for what they are but for me something was always missing.

The first series was lightning in a bottle. It was hilarious, dramatic, gritty, poignant, and consistent in quality.

Lou
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie
Posts: 4766
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 8:52 am
Status: Offline

Re: Series 1

Post by Lou » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:47 pm

A good point and very well argued......terry, Terry leather! I think you're going to be a good addition to the team. Pull up a bed son, we accept allsorts in here x
Image

User avatar
Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie
Posts: 5689
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:51 am
Status: Offline

Re: Series 1

Post by Tracy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:45 pm

"Lightening in a bottle." WOW, what a line ! I'll give ya ten out of ten for bottle son ! :lol:
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests