Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Series 3

Which is your favourite series and why?

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Series 3

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:57 pm

I am a big fan of series 3, and still even now watching the first episode, its like a dream come true to have the lads back together, minus Wayne of course.

I know a lot of people don't like the latter series, and thats there opinion, but I for one still think its a great piece of television. The only criticism is that there are not enough episodes, nowhere near enough.

In the UK, the show was rough, and showing the UK as it was, but when they got over to Arizona, it was bright and cheerful, and we only had 2 episodes of this, which felt rushed to me. I would have liked to have seen another 4 episodes, taking it up to ten. We also only got a taster of how the lads were outcasts to the Americans, or some of them, and this could have gone on a bit more.

Its just a sign of how bad TV is getting, rushed, 6 episodes per series, and no time to build the characters and stories. Maybe in time, TV will return to slower, more episodes, and not rushed drama, with a need for speedy storylines.

Geordie
Electrician
Electrician

Re: Series 3

Post by Geordie » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:02 am

Considering the circumstances I think Series 3 is top notch. Has some good laughs in it and it's great to see the boys back together. I think the thing that pains me the most about it is seeing Pat Roach look so fragile. Should defiantly have ended here though in my opinion as the quality took a nose dive on Series 4.

poxeymoxey
Plumber
Plumber

Post by poxeymoxey » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:07 pm

Totally agree regarding number of episodes. What is it these days? Is it financial reasons or is it that the viewers want change constantly? I would have loved more episodes on its return. I also like Series 4. Must admit that on first viewing not that impressed, but really like it now. I think anything written by Clement/La Frenais is always worth repeated viewing.

Big baz
Electrician
Electrician

Post by Big baz » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:58 pm

At the time of watching i wasn't impressed but looking back it stands on it's own as good television considering what we've had to endure in the past 20 years, would have preferred to have series 3 around 87/88 but was never going to happen after Gary's death.

Hallwood
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Hallwood » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:54 am

I think there were so few episodes of series 3 and 4 because the quality would have suffered if it was stretched out over 13 episodes.

I really liked series 3 when it was first shown, and I still watch it on DVD occasionally. Series 4, not so much. The whole idea of Neville being a spy was a bit too much to swallow.

phoenix
Carpenter
Carpenter

Post by phoenix » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:32 am

Series have to be made to a budget as well,The more famous the actors the more expensive.In the beginning they would have been cheaper to employ.I think with the later series they either just did not want to be commited to lenghty filming or had to work around filming commitments.Losing 2 main cast did not help.I liked all the episodes,However i think they went too far having the spy story lines in series 4 and the kidnapping in the christmas special.

Breaking Away
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Breaking Away » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:47 am

I can see the reason for it, but would anyone else have a photo on their memorial cake sporting an enormous shiner?

Breaking Away
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Breaking Away » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:01 pm

I've just finished watching series 3 again. I don't want to be picky, but they really should have sandblasted and repainted before putting the bridge back up.
I've got to agree with other comments about it being rushed. It would have been great to have had a few more episodes in the US.
I love "Guy" and the lads running back from the shower. Den getting elbowed by Oz in the bar fight.Barry falling into the pool and Bill Nighy was great.
I could go another chicken sandwich, I think I deserved it.

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:34 pm

Yes, more episodes would have been great.
We have all said this before though, TV today is rushed, and there is no way 13 episodes would be allowed by the Execs with the cash.

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:41 am

If i had the money and power id do what everyone wouldnt expect, and not for money reasons of profit, i would have exactly what they did in the 80's.. 13 episode series.. they still do it now though, in USA that i know of..
OP

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:52 pm

In the US, it used to be a 24 episode season....
Can you imagine Series 1 being 24 episodes?

Although there are exemptions such as Waterloo Road, Casualty, Holby and Doctor Who which run for about 14/20 episodes per year.

Pye
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Pye » Sat May 04, 2013 12:37 am

Watching series 3 for the first time since the broadcast. I wasn't impressed then and I have to say Im still not. Barry as a very wealthy businessman and a cokehead? Oz as a computer literate new man....Dennis driving a dealer around who sells drugs to kids? Bill Nighty hamming it up... it's all so coarse, no subtlety and its all so far fetched...

Andy H
Carpenter
Carpenter

Post by Andy H » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:45 pm

Regarding series 3. I can remember where I live (Middlesbrough) there was a huge roadside poster advertising the series. The classic pic of the lads sat on the bridge in Arizona. I wish I had taken a photo of this giant poster. Did anyone take a pic of this?

Anthony
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Anthony » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:22 am

In my opinion series 3 stands up well. All the characters and their situations are believeable (even Oz) I have , however never taken to Wyman. I think the writers missed an opportunity to link with he past by say, having Christa's child as Wayne's replacement.

Something that I have pondered, and which someone may have an answer to is after the lads turned down the Haversham cheque and later told Joe he could deal directly with Haversham, why didn't they ask for the cheque back? Joe would have still got his bridge from Haversham, the lads would have got the construction job in Arizona, but they would have been 50k better off. What am I missing?

LeeW
Plasterer
Plasterer

Post by LeeW » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:17 am

They thought that they owned the bridge and it was theirs to sell.If they'd accepted the Haversham cheque,It's unlikely they (4 bricklayers,an electrician,a dj,and a plasterer who can't plaster) would have been given the contract to re-erect it.

There was too much dodgy dialogue for me,forced jokes and punchlines (this cash smells of Persil).And Oz's references to Wyman's colour and Rod's homosexuality were...dubious to say the least.