Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Series 3

Which is your favourite series and why?

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

BarryTaylor
Gaffer
Gaffer

Re: Series 3

Post by BarryTaylor » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:26 am

Whilst its not up to the standard of Series 2 it was one of the best shows the BBC have made for years. Getting the lads back together after 25 years was always going to be contrived and they wanted to demonstrate that people do change. Barry as a millionaire was easy, he just played Frank Stubbs with a Brummy accent!
Ben Adams

Midlands based Fan.
Drives an "automatic Metro"....

LeeW
Plasterer
Plasterer

Post by LeeW » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:24 pm

Contrived.

That was the word I was wanting to call Dick and Ian.

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:16 pm

I am currently going through my Series 3 stage at the moment.
I must say the first episode at the beginning gives me goose bumps!
I always feel like I did back in 2002 when it came on BBC 1, brilliant feeling. Yes it is different from Series 1 and 2, but as the 3rd Series says quite a lot, 'time and people move one', and if Pet didn't it could have felt stale and old fashioned.
Its not 1 & 2, it's Series 3, different, but I still love it.

HerrPfister
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by HerrPfister » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:17 pm

Me too , just recently finished re-watching it. Episodes 1 & 6 really get me going. Sure, there's a lot of shite in between, dodgy dialogue & contrived plot-lines but I like it, it holds up well. As the Gaffer says - it's not series 1 or 2 - it was never likely to be, but stands up well in it'a own right, & is a welcome reunion with old friends.

Howay, let's gan & get that pint, & crack on with S4...

AlreetPal
Legal Advisor
Legal Advisor

Post by AlreetPal » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:05 pm

First time in a while I've watched series 3 recently and as others has said, it's never going to be great like the first two series. Although I did enjoy it,certain bits were awful and cringeworthy, most involving Tatiana (must be the worst character in AWP, i.m.o.)
Shut ya yak will ya man, you snivelling little git.

We're sophisticated blokes us, ya know.

Shankly
Carpenter
Carpenter

Post by Shankly » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:50 pm

I remember at the time wishing there were more episodes. The US ones certainly seem rushed.
The only downside to the later series' and the Special were that the comedy was broader and it was less realistic. Other than that I loved them.

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Fri May 09, 2014 9:03 pm

The more I watch Series 3, the more I get into it even more!
I feel after 10 years since it aired, it's top quality TV, the writings excellent it's just overall high quality.

Shankly
Carpenter
Carpenter

Post by Shankly » Sun May 11, 2014 5:31 pm

Agree fully.

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Sun May 11, 2014 7:17 pm

I think we are getting to the point of this growing into a great Series3.
It's 12 years since it aired, it feels like yesterday to me. I can remember watching it first time round and totally loving it! You could put the lads in a room for 6 episodes and I'd still love it!

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Tue May 13, 2014 2:53 pm

The third series is very watchable.. its just a good job the 'drama channel' versions arent the first versions we ever got.. cant believe how much is chopped out..
OP

Musta bin Elbowed
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Musta bin Elbowed » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:36 pm

I've just finished watching series 3 again after a couple of years away from it and I have to disagree with those who say it's improving with age. Everything that was wrong with it just becomes more annoying with every watch IMO. The imbalance of UK/US episodes is its biggest crime, and the whole pace of the series is off because of that. Four long, drawn out, in parts just boring episodes with the lads all disconnected, living in their various homes around the country and barely even working together let alone out on the piss loike. Then the whole thing takes off when they arrive in the US, it suddenly finds its feet as Pet.... and then it's all over just when the fun begins!

There's a whole bunch of pointless plots wasting time in those first four episodes - the entire 'hero eastern european brothers' bit, the journalist, the foreign workers housing, Debbie's party, Moxey a copper's nark - what the hell is going on here? Is this Pet or Inspector bloody Morse?!!

The Grainger character is saved by Nighy's great performance, but really? Oz meets up with a barely disguised parody of Jeffrey Archer in prison and ends up battling wits with him - and people think series 4 is far-fetched!?!

It's great to see the lads (sort of) back together and the series does have some great moments (mainly in the last two and a half episodes), but I think there's way too much time wasted pissing about in the UK chasing silly, unrealistic, un-Pet plotlines and not enough time living in a hut in a foreign country and getting their hands dirty.

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:50 pm

That's where many critics believe the writing went wrong, not having the lads in a hut quick enough so in Series 4 they had them in a hut in episode 2. Sadly most fans hate Series 4.

Musta bin Elbowed
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Musta bin Elbowed » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:11 pm

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet wrote:That's where many critics believe the writing went wrong, not having the lads in a hut quick enough so in Series 4 they had them in a hut in episode 2. Sadly most fans hate Series 4.

Yeah and I can't understand why. I think it's much stronger and much more Pet-like than series 3. Because the writers didnt waste time, it gave them the luxury of even having an episode (the bath one) where none of the plot is really advanced much and the episode largely serves as humour and to develop the characters even more. In terms of quality, I'd put the bath episode up there with the best of series 1 and 2 - it's great to see them all out together doing not much other than 'being the lads', and they all get a look in - each character, even Wyman, has some great moments in that episode. Nothing of that calibre in series 3 IMO.

When you throw in the fact series 4 has a much better look and feel to it, there's no real comparison between the two. If people were largely put off by the Nev spy story I dont understand how equally ludicrous plots in series 3 (the whole premise of it, basically) can be overlooked.

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:25 pm

I would say 'A Gift From Fidel' is a great episode, great laughs and like you say the lads having a laugh.
I love Series 4, but I don't like the fact that Oz and Dennis didn't speak for too many episodes. I would have liked the 'make up' scene done a little sooner, then we'd of had them enjoying the stories in each episode more.

Musta bin Elbowed
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Musta bin Elbowed » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:04 pm

Yeah that's true - the 'Dennis out on a limb' thing didnt really seem to go anywhere so they could have wrapped it up sooner. Although it did add some nice drama when Den was not let in on the plot to do up Ofelia's house