Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

favourite character

Who is your favourite character from Auf Wiedersehen, Pet?

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

Breaking Away
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Re: favourite character

Post by Breaking Away » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:59 pm

It's only protem man

Duckegg
Brickie
Brickie

Post by Duckegg » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:16 pm

"Tis my mother tongue my dear"
Gentle giant Bomber like. Legend.

Anyone ever wondered why they wrote bomber out of the country when all the beef with McGowan kicked off? Presumably they thought it would be too awkward to write a confrontation between Bomb and the apparent hard case McGowan?
Easier to develop a story where the lads are backed into a squeeze without being able to rely on Bomber to sort it out.
In a way in glad - means we get to see Neville given a slap. I would go so far as to say the only endearing thing about Nev is his Fred Perry polo top.

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:41 pm

Yes, I have put this one forward before. And I got a slap for it ! Still think its a canny idea though but ! There was another site in another city, much of the workforce down with toxic-shock syndrome. Or whatever so with the lads site being well ahead of schedule, Beco sent Bomber, reknown for his speed to help oot like. Paid fare, expenses, accomodation and as much overtime as he could crack. But he was cautioned to go easy on the Williams Schnapps ! It was cheaper for them to do this than to pay for extra workers. So that explains Bomber's absence and his postcard. Sound eh ?!

KismetsNotAName
Brickie
Brickie

Post by KismetsNotAName » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:04 pm

Oz .Wayne & Barry for me. Loved their antics in the first 2 series. Also like bomber and moxey a lot too

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:19 pm

I love Neville in Germany. It's his extremely polite face and soft mannerism that he often pulls off - especially with Helmut and the admin staff. Sharing cabs even though he doesn't want to leave the pub. So soft and loyal towards Brenda. A lovely gentleman. Then he can suddenly turn very angry with Magowan or violent towards Wayne. Then back to soft again and wants his bit pink. He has no middle ground. :)

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:34 pm

Yes Nev was either black or white. Bit obvious being from Newcastle like but in Series 2, after floundering aroond in the kitchen, oblivious to Debbie's knife throwing antics, forever apologizing for his culinary disasters, he came across as the class bloody clown ! But then the way he confronted Dennis back at Thornley Manor, "You must owe an aweful lot to talk like that Dennis !" was hard as nails ! Probably Jimmy's !

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:12 pm

When I think about all the 7 characters, I can imagine them all doing their trade except Wayne. He just looks like the last kind of person you would see on a building site. We don't see him work on screen very often in both series. I wonder if this was deliberate.

Breaking Away
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Breaking Away » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:09 pm

RHill wrote:When I think about all the 7 characters, I can imagine them all doing their trade except Wayne. He just looks like the last kind of person you would see on a building site. We don't see him work on screen very often in both series. I wonder if this was deliberate.
I think you're hit the nail on the head there ;) bonny lad.
He never looked to convincing with a saw in his hand when we did see him at graft.

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:23 pm

As I read your reply Breakingaway, I now can't remember seeing Wayne grafting at all in series 2 before the Spain episodes. There must be some, but can't remember any at this time of writing. All I can think of is him fixing the broken window at the Barley Mow (which we don't really see). Is there other scenes?

Breaking Away
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Breaking Away » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:28 pm

You may be right. While everyone else is grafting he's often seen reading 'carpentry for dummies' sitting in a window frame.

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:38 pm

Even in series 1, he is seen walking the scaffolding - but not actually working unless you want to count him carving Wayne & Christa in a plank.

AlreetPal
Legal Advisor
Legal Advisor

Post by AlreetPal » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:06 am

I think the only time Wayne is attempting any sort of work in series 2 was at Ally's pool, when Vicki walks around the side of the villa. Trying to saw a piece of timber was laughable, and the only time at Barry's is when he's hanging a door with Nev and changing the handle.
Shut ya yak will ya man, you snivelling little git.

We're sophisticated blokes us, ya know.

The Magnificent 7
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by The Magnificent 7 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:26 pm

Never thought before about Wayne not being seen working a lot. He's sitting down while the other lads are working in Barry's back garden, he's doing the same in 'No Sex Please We're Brickies', and he didn't want to be put on Barry's rota for the decorating in the hut. He's too busy thinking about turking.

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:01 pm

Yea, but only when he's awake, at night he dreams of carpentry doesn't he......

call me Tiger
Electrician
Electrician

Post by call me Tiger » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:39 pm

Oz has to be my favourite character. He has all the best lines,(I`m just going to the pub pet with ma stool!) so direct, tells you exactly what he thinks and seems to thrive on antagonising people, which is absolute comedy gold,he couldn`t give a monkeys chuff.

On the other hand hes also a really good mate to the other lads though and would help em out if they were in a bit of bother like ie Dennis in the bar brawl.

My second favourite character is Dennis, a man with a hard luck story failed marriges etc but just gets on with the job in hand and is quite the opposite to Oz, and keeps the others in line. (well, tries to!)

They`re all great characters and compliment each other but those get my vote.