Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Do the actors recieve repeat fees

General chat about all things Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

totti
Electrician
Electrician

Re: Do the actors recieve repeat fees

Post by totti » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:11 am

Jimmy also stated that for series 2 he received 10 times what he got for series one, so £6500 per episode.

Lou
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Lou » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:22 am

daledenby wrote:
Hallwood wrote:Was £650 a lot of money back in 1982? It doesn't sound like much nowadays.
£650 would be £2176.72 according to this site

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bill ... -1900.html
Yes it was a lot back then. I remember my dad won two grand on the horses that year and we we bought absolutely loads with it. It was probably worth about five grand back then and you would have got a lot more for your money.

dan slider
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by dan slider » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:25 am

It all depends on the original contract, sometimes actors will get 10% of the original fee per episode.
But its higher if shown on terrestrial channels and smaller if on digital satellite channels, thats why sky/freeview channels repeat so much as they don't have to pay massive fees.

Again, all down to contracts between the actor and studio/channel
Hey thats a canny jumper man!

Hallwood
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Hallwood » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:27 pm

Nearly 30 grand (in modern money) for the first series sounds fair. Especially as they were all virtually unknown actors.

AWPfanfromNZ
Boozer
Boozer

Post by AWPfanfromNZ » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:09 pm

totti wrote:Jimmy Nail stated in his autobiography that he was offered £600 per episode for series one but got them up to £650. He also asked if any of the cast were being paid more than him to which he was assured they were all being paid the same. Jimmy then said that was fine but if he found out otherwise then there would be trouble. He later found out that he had been lied to and there was certainly trouble.

I'd say because he never had acting experience before (even though he was an absolute natural!) and he was seen as a risk (by that I mean he was unknown to Television goers)- as it was said in the Drama Connections episode of Auf Wiedersehen Pet...
Happy Days!! :D :D

BrianTrubshaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by BrianTrubshaw » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:20 pm

"television goers"? :-)

Kenny Fraser
Brickie
Brickie

Post by Kenny Fraser » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:43 am

I'd agree that 30 thousand in today's money was fair for an unknown actor. John Thaw said he never made any money from The Sweeney, which is surprising given 4 years of big ratings and 2 films. I think Sheila Hancock got more for an advert in the late 70s than John ever did for playing Regan.

Richard O'Sullivan was another 70s 'name' who didn't make that much from almost 10 years of hit shows so fees seem to have improved considerably in the 80s for TV actors. I wouldn't have liked to have been in the shoes of whoever it was Jimmy Nail spoke to when he found out he'd been lied to!

The writer Robert Banks Stewart complained a couple of years ago - justifiably by the sound of it - of the pittance paid in repeat fees by ITV's subsidiary channels. Banks Stewart worked on high profile series like Shoestring and Bergerac so it's not as if he was talking about obscure programmes hardly anyone would watch - presumably ITV wouldn't broadcast these series if they didn't think they would pull in a decent viewing audience.

If writers were being paid very little in repeat fees by ITV's 'minor' channels I assume the same would be true for the actors involved, therefore it would seem when AWP was shown on ITV4 the actors wouldn't get much from those screenings.

It's a crafty way for ITV to avoid paying larger fees as they would have to fork out a much bigger amount for repeats on ITV1, but of course that channel doesn't repeat anything old these days and shunt 70s and 80s shows onto ITV3 and ITV4.