Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Fictional Dates

General chat about all things Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

Pete M
Carpenter
Carpenter

Fictional Dates

Post by Pete M » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:35 pm

Hi all.
I know my questions may sound a bit daft, but what I'm trying to work out is when series 1 and 2 were meant to be set. To be more precise, in series 1, there are several references to the lads having spent six months together in the hut, but which months? In some scenes they are outside in T shirts, and others wrapped up in donkey jackets etc. In 'Suspicion', every time someone enters the hut someone shouts to close the door and they have a wood burning stove on the go, yet in 'If I were a Carpenter', they are in T shirts. I remember Barry saying in series 2 to Trev that Dusseldorf in January is no picnic.
Same question about series 2, at the start when Dennis and Nev meet for a drink and read Barry's letter it is dated sometime in May, but at the start of the Derbyshire episodes when Moxey disappears there are references to how cold it is outside, when theoretically it is almost June.
At the back of Thornely Manor they light a fire, but are sat around it in T shirts. By the time they are on the way to Spain, Nev makes reference to it being very late in the season, and yet whilst working at the villa, and cruising the bars of Marbella, it appears to be mid season and very very hot!
I know about filming schedules etc, and I know I am being a bit daft, just wondered if anyone has any thoughts?
And a quick one whilst I'm at it, why was Brian Busbridge nicknamed Bomber?

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fictional Dates

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:46 pm

Great post Pete M.

I have often wondered the same, and only the other day, I remember figuring out once that they must have been in Germany through Christmas, but I cannot remember why I came to that conclusion now....

AWP Corsa Tim
Locations Tracker
Locations Tracker

Post by AWP Corsa Tim » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:26 pm

I think that's a good question for Mr Roddam, or Dick and Ian..
OP

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:50 pm

It's a great question, Pete. It's also got me thinking now; what is the average length of time that has passed from one episode to the next in series 2? The episode 'No Sex Please, We're Brickies' and the previous episode 'Cowboys' is exactly the same day. I'm now guessing that other earlier episodes in series 2 are meant to be the same day just from what I can remember. Then suddenly, in Spain it's suppose to be very late in the season.

Lee? It's a shame that you can't remember how you came to the conclusion that they must of spent their time in Germany throughout Christmas. It's very very intriguing. :)

"Argh well at least giv' us a clue?"

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:53 pm

I see a "Fictional Timeline' coming on now.
I guess the best way is for fans to list anything to do with dates/time etc and I will compile a list for the site....This could be interesting.

I guess its the same with ROT7 P2 at the end, with the lads sleeping in the Motel/Hotel and Barry showing up....so from ROT7 P2 to A Law For The Rich its also the same/next day...

Plus we also know the lads started on Thornley on a Monday because Dennis says that's the day they start in ROT7 P2...

Geordie
Electrician
Electrician

Post by Geordie » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:54 pm

A lot of the time when a newspaper is on screen the headline/front page isn't. However in Series 1 episode Last Rites you can clearly see Bomber reading a newspaper with the headline Aintree Anguish which most likely is referring to the Grand National. So if the episode was set as the same time as filming then that would be 9th April 1983 (or a day or two a head by the time they got the English papers).

Pete M
Carpenter
Carpenter

Post by Pete M » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:56 pm

Thanks folks for responding to my original questions. I just love this website and forum!
I hope this topic can keep going a while, as I find it fascinating to get other peoples takes on it.
So.....Series Two....all sat round in Barry's unfinished house looking at the pictures of Thornely Manor, and Den reckons there is at least two months work. But later on in 'Cowboys', he refers to it as a piddling little six week job.
In the first series, the illusion of six months in Germany is easily created by it being shown over thirteen weeks, but slightly less of an illusion is created for two months in Derbyshire by only five episodes being set there.
I offer no conclusions to this ramble, just that to be honest, I wish more episodes had been made in and around Derbyshire and the Manor.

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:00 pm

This is great post, and has got me thinking a lot!

I am trying to put this lot in a calender soon, so it might make more sense...

Pete M
Carpenter
Carpenter

Post by Pete M » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:41 pm

Cheers Lee! Am looking forward to seeing that.
So to digress from that briefly, to an easier question, involving time.
I know how old the actors are/were, but how old are the characters meant to be?
In 'Last Rites', Dennis makes reference to being ten years older than Neville, and Pat Roach said that Bomber had ten years on the lads. Wayne mentions his parents silver wedding, which in theory makes him under 25, and Moxey makes reference to still living in a two up-to down with his mother and her 'latest', which means he hasn't even really flown the nest.
I would really be interested in some folks take on this. Cheers!

dan slider
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by dan slider » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:46 pm

i think it might go along these liines
In order of oldest:
Bomber, Dennis, Oz, Wayne, Neville, Barry, Moxey.

But Wayne, Nev, Oz, Barry and Moxey probably are around the same age, give and take a few years.

In real life Kevin Whatley is older than Tim Healey by a couple of years!
Hey thats a canny jumper man!

Pete M
Carpenter
Carpenter

Post by Pete M » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:59 pm

Thanks Dan. I agree with your order!
Amazing that Tim Healy and Gary Holton were the same age in real life!
Will hopefully get some other input. I know I'm being a bit picky, but these guys have been a part of my life for almost thirty years. Cheers...Pete

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:40 pm

I am putting this together now, but only have 3 dates!

Last Rites, ROT7P1 and A Law For The Rich...

Got anymore?

Hedley Irwin
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Hedley Irwin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:40 pm

Keegan signed for Newcastle just before the start of the football season in 82, so When the Boat Goes Out must have been set in early-mid August
I need some slippers, and some soap

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:49 pm

This is from Wikipedia.

Newcastle United (1982–1984)
Keegan joined Newcastle United and spent two seasons there, during which time he was extremely popular with the supporters. He played 78 times, scored 48 goals and helped them to promotion from the Second Division in 1984, within a team which also contained Peter Beardsley, Chris Waddle and Terry McDermott. His contribution to Newcastle's promotion, which ended their six-year absence from the First Division, earned him iconic status on Tyneside. The move of a player of his stature to a Second Division Club was unheard of, which caused euphoria on Tyneside. So much so, the television series, 'Auf Wiedersehen Pet' used a newspaper clipping about Keegan moving to Newcastle, to persuade Oz to go back to Tyneside.[citation needed]
Keegan announced his retirement prior to the end of the 1983–1984 season, with his last league game against Brighton & Hove Albion scoring in a 3–1 victory. His final appearance for Newcastle came in a friendly against Liverpool some days later, leaving the pitch in a helicopter while still dressed in his kit.[21]
Keegan moved with his family to Spain stating that he would never enter football management, although he did carry out occasional work as a football pundit for British television.

Brilliant!

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:51 pm

He signed on 19th August 1982....So a few days later for Newspapers to get to Germany....say 20th of August for Bar Fight/Oz scene in Hospital......