Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

The magic of Series Two

General chat about all things Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

Pete M
Brickie
Brickie

The magic of Series Two

Post by Pete M » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:00 pm

I've written recently about the shitty time I'm having at the moment, and how it has led me to digging out my beloved DVDs of AWP after a few years of not watching. Without being a misery or a bore, and it may sound a little daft, but watching series one has really given me a boost. For a start it has made me remember the days when it was first broadcast, and I used to watch it religiously with my Mom and Dad, both long gone now, but they were days of little responsibility and maximum fun for me. But also, watching 'the lads' making do in Germany, kipping down in grotty conditions, eating shitty food out of tins, making do, has in a way, made me realize how resilient we can all be in times of hardship.
So in my enthusiasm and sleepless days (try doing a nightshift!), I have finished all thirteen episodes within about a week and a half. The last episode was a bit emotional to watch, even for a hairy arsed bloke in his mid forties like me....but...
what follows???
And the answer, quite obviously, is series two.
In my memories, series two is where the magic happened, am I right?
The writing was less stereotypical, and delved into the background of each character just a little deeper than before. The level of cynicism at eighties politics, the truth about how hard it can be to try to earn a living and keep a family together, Dennis doing a job he hates and is embarrassed about, the level of debt that ordinary working class people got into, was so very clever and accurate. It was all so brilliant.
But....I dont know why, to me, the magic happened at the manor in Derbyshire, and in The Barley Mow. Is it just me?
Those episodes were, or are, so atmospheric and sum up the whole spirit of the show, friendships forged in adversity.
Daft as it sounds, I wish the whole of series two had been based around 'the manor'.
Anyways, my life may be down the crapper at the mo, but Ive got the whole of series two in front of me to watch and enjoy now, and make me laugh. Ive even got my new AWP official T-shirt on especially (thanks Lee, you're a star).
Sorry for waffle...tara for a bit...Pete

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The magic of Series Two

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:06 pm

Absolutely, I knew from watching them for the first real time as a fan in the early 90’s that the Thornely episodes were something special. It’s weird but seeing the lads dossing in an empty manor in the middle of nowhere and getting done what needs to be done and having a few beers is incredibly brilliant!

Lou
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Lou » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:31 pm

I totally agree!

Breaking Away
Legal Advisor
Legal Advisor

Post by Breaking Away » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:43 pm

Well put again Pete. Another Country and A Home from Home are my favourite episodes. Even topping Private Lives as my no.1 and 2. Stan Hey did a fantastic job writing those.

AhhBrenda
Plumber
Plumber

Post by AhhBrenda » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:06 pm

I like both series 1 and 2. Series 1 was interesting as they were out of the U.K. on a new adventure. Series 2 was nice cause it seemed to be filmed about now at least when they rock up at Thornley cause the rapeseed was in bloom, that bright yellow flower in the fields you see.

I think we all get sentimental, that's fine. But as far as real life we have to connect with who we know and have to deal with and try not to get down and relate too much to the program I think. Nothing wrong at all with enjoying it and relating and even maybe wishing for something like that comradery to pop up in real life. But we have to make good the connections we have and will have cause they are our own real aufpet.

It is important to find out what makes ourselves tick and love and support those who do that to us.

Chin up and keep on going, nicest time of the year to come so keep spirits up.