Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Dennis owing money to Ally Fraser

General chat about all things Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

Pete M
Carpenter
Carpenter

Dennis owing money to Ally Fraser

Post by Pete M » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:05 am

Hi all.
In rewatching S2 yet again (once a year for 33 years...scary) I still see and hear things that missed me in the past.
Perhaps in past watching a I was focussed on different things, or pissed....
But what struck me in the last week or so was how Den was tied to Ally Fraser, basically having to do whatever he was told to do, because he owed him six grand. Six thousand pounds.
When Neville and Norma found out, their reaction was like it was the worst debt in the world, and were horrified.
Now (stay awake), I was a teenager then, and starting work, and drinking in pubs, but I'm sure I remember the value of money/price of things, and six grand wasn't a life changing bollock wrenching amount of money back then. Sure, like now, it was a decent lump, but not enough surely for Den to sell his soul to Ally and become his lap dog?
So, being sad and daft as I am, I'm wondering what the equivalent would be now?
I know about the word 'inflation', but I don't know, or want to know how it works thanks(!), and I realise property values are not typical of what I'm wondering.
In 1998, I bought a car for ten grand, and the equivalent car is now twenty grand, whereas a property I bought in 1998 for 66 grand is now worth almost 300 grand.
Shame it was repossessed years ago!!
Anyway, just trying to work out what six grand then would be now, and why Dennis got his life so buggered up by it.
Happy Monday folks

Hallwood
Gaffer
Gaffer

Re: Dennis owing money to Ally Fraser

Post by Hallwood » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:23 pm

According to the Bank of England inflation calculator (https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetar ... calculator), six grand in 1986 is the equivalent to £17,270.80 now.

Also, there's bound to have been interest added on to that, and I doubt Ally was offering a reasonable rate. So it's no wonder Ally had Dennis by the balls.

Pete M
Carpenter
Carpenter

Post by Pete M » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:29 pm

Blimey, I didn't expect that it would be so much to be honest.
Ta, that kind of puts it into perspective.
It's been interesting to watch in that way, everything they do is based on cash, no debit cards and the like, and no mobile phones etc.
I remember it well, still not quite convinced I need to go everywhere with a telephone in my pocket, it rarely brings good news!
Must be time for a beer now, Pete could murder a pint....

Hallwood
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Hallwood » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:43 pm

Now I'm thinking about it, I'm surprised someone as sensible as Dennis allowed himself to get into that much bother with someone as crooked as Ally. Mind you, like he said, he was throwing cash around after he got back from Germany. Maybe borrowing from Ally seemed like the only way out of it.

Pete M
Carpenter
Carpenter

Post by Pete M » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:36 pm

I've seen similar things happen to blokes in my work life, proud men with skills reduced to doing crappy jobs, usually in debt with a whiff of the scotch about them.
What's quite amazing is Tim Healy's performance, I just 'did the Google's on him, and during the filming of S2, he was only 33, just a few months between him and Gary Hilton, and I think younger by a whisker than Kevin Whately.
A lot of men in those days were like Dennis, my old man was, tough like Dennis, not the 'tough guys' I see now on building sites, with their fake tans, and health and safety.
But ya know, I'm not old and bitter and twisted.
I've got a terrible thirst like...🍺🍺👍

Pete M
Carpenter
Carpenter

Post by Pete M » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:37 pm

Apologies about phone changing spellings. Load of shite.

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:30 pm

Dennis was not in a good place, not in a good place at all ! He had gone back to Vera because of the kids. We all know that is a recipe for disaster. And what a disaster for wor Den ! So he tries to fix things by throwing money about. Quite understandable. The Vera situation threw him off kilter and his thinking was badly affected. Hands up all those who have lived through this ?! Dennis was hoping Vera and he would have made it work and he could have paid it all back with hard graft. But the opposite happened and bang, crash, wallop ! I totally get it and the writers did too. Den reduced to living with his sister, as low as he could get, drowning himself in booze with no way of paying any of it back. Rock bottom. His eventual rise was, well it was poetry ! :lol:

Breaking Away
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Breaking Away » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:43 pm

As far as graft goes I assumed it was also the only work Den could get so he just had to get gan with it!
Who is this Ally Fraser anyway...