Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

favourite character

Who is your favourite character from Auf Wiedersehen, Pet?

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

The Wai-Ling
Carpenter
Carpenter

Re: favourite character

Post by The Wai-Ling » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:35 pm

Shankly wrote:As a 13 year old watching the series first time round my favourites were Wayne and Oz. Now I can see the merits of each and I probably like Dennis as much as the other two. Nev, unfortunately, has to be my least favourite. But then again it's like asking who's your least favourite Beatle. All are great but some just a little more so than others.
Totally agree, when I was younger I wanted to be a Jack the lad like Wayne and never ever came close or off the starting block. I wanted to speak my mind like Oz and never did.

In reality I'm far more like Moxey and Barry, unsure and nervous and then being a family man like Neville.

Reliable like Bomber I guess, but the opposite of being strong as an Ox.

As a 44 year old I will definetly plump for Dennis Paterson being my favourite character, like him I'm married (Succesfully for 16 years unlike him), I've had my own business like him (Sold it after 3 years and now have a part-time business on the side away from my main job).

I sympathise a lot with Dennis, always the gaffer that has to carry everyone. I liked what they did in season 4 when Oz sent him to Coventry and got the other boys to help him out and leave Dennis. It showed the lonely side of him where he's the gaffer and has to make the right and wrong decisions and live with them.

Was there anyone that wanted him to go back to Vera after she ran away with Alan the Supermarket manager. We were broken up for him because we knew he was making another mistake in leaving Dagmar.

The poor sod, aye Dennis is my favourite.

GatesheadRevisited
Plasterer
Plasterer

Post by GatesheadRevisited » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:50 am

Favourite character has to be Oz. But maybe a new thread on 'is Jimmy Nail as bad in real life as many people would have us believe' is needed.... Hoping they're wrong and he is a decent bloke, I've always wanted to meet him.

HelmutFischer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by HelmutFischer » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:06 pm

Gotta be Oz for his attitude and absolute classic quotes..

" been back on my native soil for fourteen minutes and I'm subjected to this act of fascist intimidation, coz that's what it is ya know! and I'll be writing to my Mp about this"

JohnnyRobbo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by JohnnyRobbo » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:21 pm

For sheer comedic value, I would have to say Oz. He reminds me of Terry Collier from The Likely Lads, another classic Clement/LaFrenais show.

awefc
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by awefc » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:28 pm

Favorite character has to be Oz. I think he is hilarious all the way through. Bomber is another favorite, to be fair they all are, but them two just edge it

Port Jack Chippy
Brickie
Brickie

Post by Port Jack Chippy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:04 pm

Barry
He's bashful, smart, a bit clueless. (sometimes I think radish accurately sums him up) but like Dennis and Neville he deliberately avoids to become a chip on anyone shoulder. He knows quite a lot having the best of intentions to inform the rest of the group on healthy eating but the lack of social skills is what trips him up.

Breaking Away
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Breaking Away » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:14 pm

He knows quite a lot. All of it bloody useless....

Lou
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Lou » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:55 pm

Aye, the prince of trivia our Barry......

blair
Brickie
Brickie

Post by blair » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:45 am

Breaking Away wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:14 pm
He knows quite a lot. All of it bloody useless....
But I thought Barry was the most diverse actor of the bunch. More depth to his personality than the others.

blair
Brickie
Brickie

Post by blair » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:51 am

RHill wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:23 pm
As I read your reply Breakingaway, I now can't remember seeing Wayne grafting at all in series 2 before the Spain episodes. There must be some, but can't remember any at this time of writing. All I can think of is him fixing the broken window at the Barley Mow (which we don't really see). Is there other scenes?
In that window fixing scene Wayne mentions he's a 'Joiner' on his union card. So maybe he faked it a bit as a 'Chippie'?, ala Neville in Episode 1?

Dennis, man! I'm not a carpenter, man!
Did you take woodwork in school?
Yes.
Well then you're a carpenter, man!

Lou
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Lou » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:04 am

blair wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:51 am
RHill wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:23 pm
As I read your reply Breakingaway, I now can't remember seeing Wayne grafting at all in series 2 before the Spain episodes. There must be some, but can't remember any at this time of writing. All I can think of is him fixing the broken window at the Barley Mow (which we don't really see). Is there other scenes?
In that window fixing scene Wayne mentions he's a 'Joiner' on his union card. So maybe he faked it a bit as a 'Chippie'?, ala Neville in Episode 1?

Dennis, man! I'm not a carpenter, man!
Did you take woodwork in school?
Yes.
Well then you're a carpenter, man!
My dad was a carpenter by trade and they're known as carpenter/joiners, apparently DL

ikhider
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ikhider » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:01 am

All of the character serve as important archetypes in the series. However, if I was working with the lads, I would gravitate towards Dennis first and then Wayne. Dennis is the most conscious/aware and social-justice minded of the lot while I would connect with Wayne over music and tape swapping. Plus Wayne is also among the nicest of the lot.

Dennis connects with me because of his speeches about the dignity of work and how hard it is to find it in UK. Now I am a born-Canadian who saw this series just last year. I was blown away that things were that bad in England during the 80's. Dennis made me think of my mom who owned a hair dressing shop in a district called 'The Junction' in Toronto and coiffed the hair of the factory workers where most of her business came from. The Junction used to be well-off and lots of great clothes, toys, shoes, boots, whatever were made in Toronto. The province of Ontario was a manufacturing powerhouse. Then offshoring hit and the factories got shuttered and bit-by-bit the workers stopped showing up to get their hair done. By the 90's, The Junction was a ghost district and my mom had to shutter her business as well. She eventually relocated to the suburbs where a Ford factory was situated and women workers needed their hair done. Nothing can replace manufacturing, not 'the service industry', not 'the tech industry' or whathaveyou. And there is Dennis and the lads telling me the story of one of the places I grew up, not just England. His words hit me in the gut, and so do all of the other characters.

Now The Junction district is wet (alcohol was forbidden to be bought/sold in the area until the 2000's) and the place is now full of hispter restaurants and bars. Real estate is through the roof, but I can't for the life of me figure out what industry is sustaining these inflated prices. Mushrooming condos with astronomical prices and sub-par builds are everywhere while the lake waters continue to rise, for years, and will probably submerge the streets here.

Anyway, manufacturing is part of the dignity of a region and I was beside myself when I found out Doc Martens shoes, which were popular in high school here, are now made in China! Have you Brits lost your mind?!? It's like Canadian Maple syrup made-in-China. I have nothing against the Chinese, but know it is more about corporate profitability and slave wages, all people deserve a living wage for good labour. Pro/against Brexit will never address the issue as the problem is deeper. I think Auf Pet is a subversive show masking as comedy. This show is also telling Toronto's story as well as many other places, I suspect.
"SO we bide our time, waiting for a purer kick to bloom... &the future is still bleak, uncertain and beautiful... " -GSYBE

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:20 pm

Well that's a point of view ofcourse and very well argued ! :D