Official Merchandise!!
T-Shirts, Polo Shirts, Mugs, Beanie Hats, Keyrings, DVD's and more!
Same day dispatch Mon-Fri if ordered before 4pm.
http://www.auf.pet

Neville's wages in germany

Noticed any 'Cock Up's' filming mistakes, continuity errors or something else?

Moderators: Howard Radcliff, AWP Corsa Tim, RHill

peng50
Boozer
Boozer

Neville's wages in germany

Post by peng50 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:38 pm

This is something that's always puzzled me - is it a mistake that was overlooked, I
just don't know.

When neville is speaking to Dennis about jacking the job in, his comments are as
follows "I hate it here I admit... maybe I could make a thousand pounds, but it
would take us six months"

now I know we're talking early 80s money here, but surely this is totally unrealistic.
especially when in episode 1 Neville tells brenda he's off to Germany to get the money
for a nice house on a nice estate - £165 a month isn't really gonna buy him much is it,
unless he's planning on being there 20 years or so.

phoenix
Carpenter
Carpenter

Re: Neville's wages in germany

Post by phoenix » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:19 am

I think he was refering to saving a thousand pounds.Wages were higher than the uk anyway because they were not paying tax and insurance to start with.

agabloodydoo
Carpenter
Carpenter

Post by agabloodydoo » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:02 pm

It doesn't sound a lot does it?

Especially seeing that Wayne reckoned he'd get 5 grand for his car second hand in series 2 (obviously a few years later, but had inflation gone up that much?)

peng50
Boozer
Boozer

Post by peng50 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:54 pm

Also the fact that bomber had £900 to take home at the
End of the first episode, makes 6 months to make/save a
Thousand pound, seem even more unrealistic

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:13 pm

Good point....
I wonder if its possible to work out how much they were earning....

peng50
Boozer
Boozer

Post by peng50 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:57 pm

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet wrote:Good point....
I wonder if its possible to work out how much they were earning....
Need to watch the episode where oz goes home... Dennis mentions how much
Money they raised from auctioning his gear and his wages for 3 days work.
Can't remember the amounts offhand but sure the total was around 300
Quid

phoenix
Carpenter
Carpenter

Post by phoenix » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:08 am

Neville was sending most of his wages home to brenda and the money soon slides away after you take out his living costs as well as his wife and family.morguage Interest rates were high back then.Tax and insurance was about 1/3 of his income if he had needed to pay it ,which he did not living in germany.Also he felt pressured to spend some money to escape the hut,The single lads wouldn't be so finacially burdened.

Kemal
Plumber
Plumber

Post by Kemal » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:00 pm

When I started on the sites in 85 after leaving school the average sort of pay for brickies was 90 quid a week so 300 for working awayin 82-83 sounds plausible.

Christ..90 quid, you need that a day now :cry:

Adolf
Brickie
Brickie

Post by Adolf » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:41 pm

In episode 3, they say they raise £230 from the auction, and his three days wages brought it "nearly 400". So by my reckoning that's around 250-300 per week. Which would be canny money in 1982 I reckon.

RHill
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by RHill » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:33 am

If they were earning £250-a-week in the year 1982, it was worth £688.00 in 2010.

If they were earning £300-a-week in the year 1982, it was worth £826.00 in 2010.

If anyone wishes to check if these 'high earnings' is correct, please checkout this useful link to see if I've calculated this correctly.

http://www.measuringworth.com/ppoweruk/ ... /ppoweruk/

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auf Wiedersehen, Pet » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:06 pm

Just watched the end of this episode, and hearing Dennis tell Oz about him having £400 quid from the auction. I know it was 82/83 but as Adolf above explains, it seems the lads would be earning £250 a week top whack. They reckon you can double the money for todays rates so thats £500.

Bloody Neville must having been pissing his money up the wall if £2000 a month couldn't get him a new house on that posh estate. I know Brenda had a thing for blowing it all on tiles and what not, but bloody hell!

Musta bin Elbowed
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Musta bin Elbowed » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:57 pm

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet wrote:Just watched the end of this episode, and hearing Dennis tell Oz about him having £400 quid from the auction. I know it was 82/83 but as Adolf above explains, it seems the lads would be earning £250 a week top whack. They reckon you can double the money for todays rates so thats £500.

Bloody Neville must having been pissing his money up the wall if £2000 a month couldn't get him a new house on that posh estate. I know Brenda had a thing for blowing it all on tiles and what not, but bloody hell!

Its all relative though innit? That's £2000 a month at today's rates. Reckon you could save enough in six months for a deposit on a house at today's prices? As Nev would say - fat chance!

AlreetPal
Legal Advisor
Legal Advisor

Post by AlreetPal » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:03 pm

Wages never made sense in AWP as said above. Nev also says in episode 1 after Den realises he's jacked it in, he could make £1000 but it will take him six months.
Also when he's been at the curry house for three days, he tells the lads he's almost saved enough for a second honeymoon. They must have been paying crazy wages. :o
Shut ya yak will ya man, you snivelling little git.

We're sophisticated blokes us, ya know.

Tracy
Top Rank Brickie
Top Rank Brickie

Post by Tracy » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:10 pm

AlreetPal wrote:Wages never made sense in AWP as said above. Nev also says in episode 1 after Den realises he's jacked it in, he could make £1000 but it will take him six months.
Also when he's been at the curry house for three days, he tells the lads he's almost saved enough for a second honeymoon. They must have been paying crazy wages. :o
Yea but it could be argued that winter flights to Menorca for 2nd honeymoons were half price specials. Even if ya still didnt know where Menorca is !

Hallwood
Gaffer
Gaffer

Post by Hallwood » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:57 am

AlreetPal wrote:Wages never made sense in AWP as said above. Nev also says in episode 1 after Den realises he's jacked it in, he could make £1000 but it will take him six months.
He maybe made a few quid in tips from some of the other Brits in Dusseldorf who visited the curry house.